Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI with Delta or Air France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

OLCI with Delta or Air France

I'm on a trip in Economy, RDU-JFK-PRG, BUD-CDG-ATL-RDU in September that is booked through Delta. But the first segment on the return is Air France. Flight 1395. I am not able to book seats on the BUD-CDG segment. Because I don't have a seat assignment until check in, is it better to check in through Delta, or through AF? I want to make sure I have a seat assignment, asap. I believe check in is allowed 30 hours before the flight.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You'll be required to check in with AF. In fact going to the DL reservation should lead to a link to the AF check in page IIRC.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You'll be required to check in with AF. In fact going to the DL reservation should lead to a link to the AF check in page IIRC.
Thanks much! I hope AF will keep our Delta seat assignments for their flights.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks much! I hope AF will keep our Delta seat assignments for their flights.
Pull up your itinerary on airfrance.us. (Use your DL PNR locator, it will retrieve your AF PNR and locator.) Whatever AF says are your seats will be your seats (barring equipment change, etc).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I am not able to book seats on the BUD-CDG segment. Because I don't have a seat assignment until check in, is it better to check in through Delta, or through AF? I want to make sure I have a seat assignment, asap. I believe check in is allowed 30 hours before the flight.
No-one in economy on Air France shorthaul has a seat assignment.

Seat selection is only possible when check-in opens.

(I think there was talk about making it a payable option in advance, but I haven't been paying attention to matters AF lately)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: Some...
BUD-CDG is not a shorthaul (BOD-CDG is ). So seat assignment can be done prior check-in.

Log on airfrance.us with DL PNR should work
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by thibderoc
BUD-CDG is not a shorthaul (BOD-CDG is ). So seat assignment can be done prior check-in.

Log on airfrance.us with DL PNR should work
Huh? So what is BUD-CDG considered? even TLV-CDG is considered short haul and seats can only be selected at OLCI.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
BUD-CDG is not a shorthaul (BOD-CDG is ).
AF website says seat reservation are only available on LH flights and BUD-CDG is certainly not a LH flight. But given, that nobody gets to pick a seat, you still can get nice seats when checking in online.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: Some...
Sorry my mistake.
Indeed, economy seat can not be selected priori to check-in for BUD-CDG

But BUD-CDG is not a short haul (within France). It's a medium haul (as for TLV) : within Europe. I thought the "seat selection only at check-in" rule applied only for short haul. But I was wrong. Thank you for correcting!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meli silver.
Sorry my mistake.

But BUD-CDG is not a short haul (within France). It's a medium haul (as for TLV) : within Europe. I thought the "seat selection only at check-in" rule applied only for short haul. But I was wrong. Thank you for correcting!
Short haul (court courrier) is not commonly used. Within France is called domestic.

Medium haul is used for all non LH flights.

CDG/NCE flying distance is greater than CDG/AMS.

You should not call the former short haul when the distance is greater than that of the latter which is MH.

P.S. I realise that AF says on its website that "court courrier" flights are domestic flights, but it does not make sense for the reason I just gave.
This is why most people use MH. You will often see as well court/moyen courrier (S/MH flight).

Last edited by carnarvon; Jan 21, 2017 at 7:35 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sorry my mistake.

Every other European airline would call it shorthaul, but AF uses this strange terminology of shorthaul for domestic flights and mediumhaul for European flight. This is weird as flights such as many French cities (e.g. NCE) are much further than say LHR, AMS, FRA etc..

Seat will be preassigned and can be changed online for an empty seat if any.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

If I check in online with AF, will AF give me an electronic boarding pass for all segments or just BUD-CDG? Will an electronic boarding pass be accepted all the way from BUD-CDG-ATL-RDU? And I mean, accepted both by security in BUD and when I board the aircraft in BUD-CDG-ATL?

I am traveling with my spouse and I suppose he needs to do OLCI separately to get his own boarding pass? I don't suppose security will let you stand there and present one phone for two people?

All my connections are 3 hours (my choice) so I have plenty of time at each airport to get boarding passes printed. But I hope that I can get all boarding passes at one time, either by OLCI or by checking in with Air France in BUD.

Sorry if these are strange questions. I normally do paper boarding passes all the time, but they are easy to lose. On my last trip I had a moment where I thought I lost a boarding pass, but I found it right away.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:56 am

If I check in online with AF, will AF give me an electronic boarding pass for all segments or just BUD-CDG? Will an electronic boarding pass be accepted all the way from BUD-CDG-ATL-RDU? And I mean, accepted both by security in BUD and when I board the aircraft in BUD-CDG-ATL?

I am traveling with my spouse and I suppose he needs to do OLCI separately to get his own boarding pass? I don't suppose security will let you stand there and present one phone for two people?

All my connections are 3 hours (my choice) so I have plenty of time at each airport to get boarding passes printed. But I hope that I can get all boarding passes at one time, either by OLCI or by checking in with Air France in BUD.

Sorry if these are strange questions. I normally do paper boarding passes all the time, but they are easy to lose. On my last trip I had a moment where I thought I lost a boarding pass, but I found it right away.
Weirdly enough the KL and AF app can actually have more than 1 BP, it is obviously uncomfortable if you have the app on just one phone, but if you both have the app then it works ok.

Of course you can always opt to print the boarding pass at home or at the airport, not sure if BUD have kiosks but otherwise at the checkin counter.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone else comment? Getting all boarding passes at beginning of trip at check in?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Can anyone else comment? Getting all boarding passes at beginning of trip at check in?
I think nobody answered your question because we don't understand what's your problem here. As usual for any trip involving one or 2 connections, either you will have all your BP at check-in, or the connecting flights at the transfer point if, for whatever reason, they are not able to issue them all at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.