Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What sort of food and service on CAI-CDG?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What sort of food and service on CAI-CDG?

I'm continuing to slowly re-shift a greater proportion of my travel from BA to AF this year, both because of AF's genuine improvements in at least some areas, and BA's deterioration of their own offer. I always continued taking multiple AF flights every year of course but after years of declining proportions, I am increasing it quite significantly for the first time*.

As part of that, I booked a forthcoming trip to CAI on AF. Against my better judgement and habits, I exceptionally booked it in W. Now I actually always avoid Premium Economy which I really dislike, but J was expensive and seemed unjustified on such a short flight, and conversely, W was merely €50 than Y each way on my dates so it sounded like it would have been pretty stupid not to spend that, especially as Y configuration on the new 789 sounds cramped.

Of course, I'm interested in testing AF's 789 (and comparing it to other 787 products I know) but would still like what to expect, notably on the return flight which has pretty ridiculous timings (leave CAI at 00.30, arrive CDG at 05.30). Does AF serve a full hot dinner after departure? Or something else? I've done late departures on AF many times but they were like 23/23.30 (South East Asia, South America etc) and much longer flights, and in Y or J so I'm not what too sure what to expect on 1) later departure at 00.30, 2) short flight, 3) W.

I haven't flown AF's W for months so if there is any update on the service I'd also love to know!

To be totally honest, I'm not really looking forward to the flights so I hope some of you can brighten my horizon and tell me it will be nice after all!

* I've already flown a couple of AF trips in the first 10 days of 2017. My fourth trip (and first long haul) of the year from Tokyo was on AF and went well although the food was really disappointing. My partner's main was really poor and she had to leave it, and the chicken fricassee for the second meal was vile, with so much floury cream that even someone from Normandie would be grossed out! BEST really does make a difference and ensure that even if other things do not go well, at least the hard product is very good and you get to have good sleep.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 14, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:51 am

You get a full hot meal on the 23:15 CDG-TLV which takes the same time, so I expect you'll get the same from CAI.
No idea what it is though as I had dinner in the lounge and didn't bother with eating on the plane, much better use the time for sleeping
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ditto
You get a full hot meal on the 23:15 CDG-TLV which takes the same time, so I expect you'll get the same from CAI.
No idea what it is though as I had dinner in the lounge and didn't bother with eating on the plane, much better use the time for sleeping
Indeed! But to be honest, from the CAI lounge, I expect nothing but absolute misery!!

Yes, all my pre-midnight departures have always been full hot meals. I guess my only worry was that midnight was some sort magic time for Cindarella - err, sorry, AF! and that they would start serving some unedible snack or even breakfast (which I tend to hate on most planes) instead!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:25 am

LOL, they used to serve dinner on AF259 (SIN-CDG) which took off at 00:25, and they still use trollies, no pumpkin carriage involved
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
and they still use trollies, no pumpkin carriage involved
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Dear Orbitmic
I agree the timing of the return flight is really horrible, but on the good side, you'll be able to test the new W seat in the 787. I have just tried it for 5 min during the maiden flight and really noticed the improvement for sleeping position. You'll likely be the 1st one to report a real night experience in-flight.

You said also that the Y config looks cramped in the 787, but I can tell you it's not. It's heaven compared to the 777.

Regarding your primary question (meal service), I really don't know. When I flew the TLV-CDG leaving TLV at 1 am, I think only breakfast was served. But I'm not sure. As the food loaded in CAI is probably mediocre (my own experience in J a couple of years ago), it's probably better to eat at the lounge or in the terminal (or in town before going to the airport) and maximize sleep time on-board.

Last edited by Goldorak; Jan 15, 2017 at 3:39 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I really don't know. When I flew the TLV-CDG leaving TLV at 1 am, I think only breakfast was served.
Yet another flight with very awful timing, and unfortunately with an A320 so no proper sleep is possible...
I've considered it every time coming back from TLV, as it puts me back in AMS even earlier than the KL direct flight, and usually at much cheaper price. and yet I never actually took it.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Dear Orbitmic
I agree the timing of the return flight is really horrible, but on the good side, you'll be able to test the new W seat in the 787. I have just tried it for 5 min during the maiden flight and really noticed the improvement for sleeping position. You'll likely be the 1st one to report a real night experience in-flight.

You said also that the Y config looks cramped in the 787, but I can tell you it's not. It's heaven compared to the 777.

Regarding your primary question (meal service), I really don't know. When I flew the TLV-CDG leaving TLV at 1 am, I think only breakfast was served. But I'm not sure. As the food loaded in CAI is probably mediocre (my own experience in J a couple if years ago), it's probably better to eat at the lounge or in the terminal (or in town before going to the airport) and maximize sleep time on-board.
Thanks Goldorak, yes, that's definitely reassuring that you say the W seat is different/much better. As you know, I really don't like the old W seat, especially for overnight flights so improvement much welcome indeed!

BTW, this is not one of my next trips, only come in early Spring, so it is possible some people will report before me!

And yes, the breakfast is indeed my fear. I hope it is misplaced! I'm also curious how it would work in practice: I believe that W still gets J starters normally, but I don't believe there are J-specific starters to breakfast so if breakfast would one just get the Y meal? And yes, I'll try to eat before going. Not in the lounge as I understand that it is absolutely dire (never been there I must say) but at the hotel (which should be near the airport) or at the airport itself! I've not been to Egypt since the Arab Spring so a bit unsure what to expect (media always show the worst side of things).
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
And yes, the breakfast is indeed my fear. I hope it is misplaced! I'm also curious how it would work in practice: I believe that W still gets J starters normally, but I don't believe there are J-specific starters to breakfast so if breakfast would one just get the Y meal? And yes, I'll try to eat before going. Not in the lounge as I understand that it is absolutely dire (never been there I must say) but at the hotel (which should be near the airport) or at the airport itself! I've not been to Egypt since the Arab Spring so a bit unsure what to expect (media always show the worst side of things).
My last visit in Egypt is in 2009 (the year I joined FT ), so also before the Arab spring. I think everything is doing better now, but of course caution is still required I believe.
For the lounge in CAI, providing it is still the same that is used, I was expecting something really bad, so was in a way pleasantly surprised. But of course, nothing comparable to what we would qualify as a good lounge here. But again, things may have changed for the best or the worst (knowing the situation of the country for the last couple of years).

For lunch/dinner in W, they don't get the J starter, but it's definitely an enhanced one compared to Y. The rest of the meal is same as Y. W breakfast is same as Y, so crap . If I were you, I would indeed eat at your hotel before going to the airport and skip any meal on-board to just sleep. And if you have time on arrival in CDG, depending if you end in CDG or if you connect, go to the 2C arrival lounge or to your connecting lounge for shower and BF.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed! But to be honest, from the CAI lounge, I expect nothing but absolute misery!!
Has AF not moved into the new Terminal 2 yet? I believe the lounge there should be at least decent though I have not had the opportunity to try it myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.