Community
Wiki Posts
Search

book through AF or Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

book through AF or Delta?

Me and the wife fly LAX-CDG about once a year. I have a AMEX Platnum Delta credit card and silver medallion status.

My question is that although I see the obvious benefit of booking this Air France metal through Delta (getting the miles) are there any benefits to foregoing Delta and purchasing directly through Air France? Don't think I would ever accumulate enough flyer miles on AF Flying Blue to actually be able to do anything with.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by ente_09
Me and the wife fly LAX-CDG about once a year. I have a AMEX Platnum Delta credit card and silver medallion status.

My question is that although I see the obvious benefit of booking this Air France metal through Delta (getting the miles) are there any benefits to foregoing Delta and purchasing directly through Air France? Don't think I would ever accumulate enough flyer miles on AF Flying Blue to actually be able to do anything with.
You can book through either websites, book either DL or AF coded flights and still get the miles on the FFP of your choice since both airlines are in the same alliance.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ente_09
As already mentioned, you can credit to either DL or AF regardless of whether you buy through DL or AF. However, there are differences if you plan on accumulating to SkyMiles.

If you purchase through DL, you will accumulate based on the purchased fare. Let's say you have a $1000 coach fare, which includes about $800 in taxes. You'll earn 5600 miles this way (800x(5+2)), including the credit card bonus.

If you purchase through AF and credit to DL, you'll earn as a percentage of distance traveled, based on fare class. For the cheapest fares, that's 25%. LAX-CDG is about 11000 miles r/t, so you'd only earn .25x11000 = 2750 miles.

Obviously this varies with the price of the ticket and the booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.