Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France cancelled and rescheduled my flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
OK...you obviously speak to DL because you are based in N.A., you have no choice. The problem is that they are close-to-totally incompetent about AF affairs.
Indeed, but frankly that is absolutely no excuse. AF are choosing to be represented by DL for callers in North America, that is their problem and they have to ensure this does not affect their service standards.

Unfortunately for the op, as mentioned earlier, 4 weeks is not unusual for compensation be it with AF or any other airline. Most mention about 4-6 weeks to merely get a response.

If you have a file number, as Goldorak mentions, you would probably be best off recontacting them via the online form (existing query) or sending a physical letter mentioning your file number and displeasure not to have your money yet.

If you are keen, as you mention, to send a letter to the CEO office about the principle of the customer service experience, the AF head office address is all over the Internet but bear in mind that your letter will most likely only be opened, read by someone at the office, and then passed on to customer service people in the first place which will merely slow down the process.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
At this stage, you need some practical advice rather than some general comments. I am no expert on compensation, but I will venture some comments. Other posters might refine them.

First, there is no reason to communicate with FB as this is an AF issue not a FB issue.

I do not see the timing of your flights. If you arrived more than 2 hours later than your original booking, you are entitled to compensation for the cancellation.

Airlines will always try to minimize their expense. at this point, I would suggest that you ask for a reasonable amount of compensation. I am no expert on compensation, but I think that you do not need to ask for the difference between PE and Y fare. As this is AF, a community carrier, you are entitled to 75% of the fare you paid as per EC261/2004 article 10. If your ticket was 2,000, you should ask for 1,500 plus the reimbursement of the upgrade cost.
I do not think that you should include the upgrade cost in the price of the ticket as you would only get 75% of (2,000 plus upgrade cost). AF might claim that they only owe half of 1,500 as this was only on the outbound, but see NickB post on this.
If you arrived over two hours late (I believe that KL flight arrives exactly 2 hours later according to schedule, and it could have been delayed. EC261 mentions "less than two hours"), then you should also claim 600 euros as per EC261/2004 article 7.

I would suggest that you use the same file number as originally submitted (see above post by Orbitmic.
I would keep the letter very short and purely factual, complaining that you have not received any news.
I would simply lay your claim for:
- reimbursement of upgrade cost
- $1,500 (if ticket ws $2,000) as per EC261/2004 article 10 (downgrade).
- EUR600 if applicable as per EC261/2004 article 7.

AF might use all kind of tactics to deny the last two points (the first one is obvious). But you have a strong case for getting the 1,500, or at least half of it. They might (will) argue extraordinary circumstances for the EUR600.

Again keep everything short and to the point (how much compensation you require). No need to get emotional. Cancellation do happen and they rerouted well, except for the downgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster

That's what I was trying to explain to agent.

I will send them another reminder once more.

Will update once I get somewhere..

OK...you obviously speak to DL because you are based in N.A., you have no choice. The problem is that they are close-to-totally incompetent about AF affairs.
By which channel did you make your 1st complaint ? With AF using the complaint form on their web site ? If yes, you should have received an acknowledgement of receipt after having sent the complaints. It contains a file ref that you need to use in any future correspondence about this complaint.
What the DL agent told you is completely wrong and has no sense : AF has a customer service that manages all complaints including refunds/compensations and I don't think you should make another complaint but you may send them a reminder using the file reference you have been given (if any).
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info..

I will keep this posted once I get an update.

Originally Posted by brunos
At this stage, you need some practical advice rather than some general comments. I am no expert on compensation, but I will venture some comments. Other posters might refine them.

First, there is no reason to communicate with FB as this is an AF issue not a FB issue.

I do not see the timing of your flights. If you arrived more than 2 hours later than your original booking, you are entitled to compensation for the cancellation.

Airlines will always try to minimize their expense. at this point, I would suggest that you ask for a reasonable amount of compensation. I am no expert on compensation, but I think that you do not need to ask for the difference between PE and Y fare. As this is AF, a community carrier, you are entitled to 75% of the fare you paid as per EC261/2004 article 10. If your ticket was 2,000, you should ask for 1,500 plus the reimbursement of the upgrade cost.
I do not think that you should include the upgrade cost in the price of the ticket as you would only get 75% of (2,000 plus upgrade cost). AF might claim that they only owe half of 1,500 as this was only on the outbound, but see NickB post on this.
If you arrived over two hours late (I believe that KL flight arrives exactly 2 hours later according to schedule, and it could have been delayed. EC261 mentions "less than two hours"), then you should also claim 600 euros as per EC261/2004 article 7.

I would suggest that you use the same file number as originally submitted (see above post by Orbitmic.
I would keep the letter very short and purely factual, complaining that you have not received any news.

AF might use all kind of tactics to deny the last two points (the first one is obvious). But you have a strong case for getting the 1,500, or at least half of it. They might (will) argue extraordinary circumstances for the EUR600.

Again keep everything short and to the point (how much compensation you require). No need to get emotional. Cancellation do happen and they rerouted well, except for the downgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, but frankly that is absolutely no excuse. AF are choosing to be represented by DL for callers in North America, that is their problem and they have to ensure this does not affect their service standards.
Of course !
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by brunos

+1.
I would only add that calling is not the best way to deal with AF for Customer Services issues IMHO and per my experience.
If there is discussion required after your crisp, written complaint, they would call you on your cellphone to discuss that matter.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

I got reply back from Air France:

Original Flight was: $1700 and I paid an extra 270 for upgrade from CDG-DEL.

Is this fair?

Sir, Madam

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the above listed document.

I am pleased to inform you that your request has been processed in the amount of 348.00 USD and

will be deposited into the credit card used to purchase the ticket.

This credit should post in approximately one or two billing cycles from the date of this letter.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YSL5577
My returning flight has not changed yet.
Has it changed now?

Why were you expecting it to change, by the way?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

My returning flight was not changed... I flew premium economy

But I wasn't sure how much will I get back in refunds? The refund they provided is not fair and bcuz of another 3hr delay at ams...

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Has it changed now?

Why were you expecting it to change, by the way?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

I received an email from air France with refund portion of $380 U.S.

To me this not fare and will have to write another email to them explaining how they came up with this number?

I should get more than what they initially offered me?

Originally Posted by olivedel
+1.
I would only add that calling is not the best way to deal with AF for Customer Services issues IMHO and per my experience.
If there is discussion required after your crisp, written complaint, they would call you on your cellphone to discuss that matter.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by YSL5577
I received an email from air France with refund portion of $380 U.S.
in post #52 you said $348
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

sorry, my fault

its $348

in post #52 you said $348
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Is this $348 just for the downgrade from W to Y on one leg and not including the reimbursement of your paid upgrade W to J ?
If yes, it seems OK to me. If it's supposed to include the reimbursement of the paid upgrade, then it's a joke.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If it were me, I would not ask for an explanation for the 348.
I would simply write back that this is not acceptable and ask for compensation along the line I discussed above.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:43 am

This is horrible. I was planning to book a flight with them in the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.