Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MiNi fares - the worst thing AF has ever invented

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PROACTIVE
Thinking about the 3 main FFP in Europe I would say that BAEC and LH are trying (or as in LH already managed) to make a profit centre out of theit FFP thus trying to get customer happy and sticky to the program granting as low as 125miles/1 segments for cheapo flight, as in Germanwings case (even Vueling gives you avios!!).
You haven't been over the FT BA forum over the last two days, have you?
That said, even with the impending changes, BAEC remains imo better than FB but I guess this is a discussion for another time and place.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
You haven't been over the FT BA forum over the last two days, have you?
That said, even with the impending changes, BAEC remains imo better than FB but I guess this is a discussion for another time and place.
Indeed on both counts... for BA and (( for FB I guess
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB plat, M&M FT
Knowing Air France, I wouldn't say it was their strategy but rather them not thinking hard enough before opting for this way of introducing the mini fares.

Except if they really thought people were going to bother to fly with them when there is absolutely no point in it. Or pay 20€ more each way. Only, wait, you cannot really pay that easily, not even on their main partner's website. Well, lovely.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More, Skywards
Question

Originally Posted by Dominikkk
To top it all, mini has been available on their website also for quite a while now and the website still says you're getting miles for flying MiNi fares. Correct me if I'm wrong but KLM is basically selling you a different product than the one you're actually getting.

Somebody that has accidentally bought a MiNi fare on klm should actually definitely ask KLM to a) give the miles they were advertising on their website for that flight and b) push them to fix it.
I "fear" I have such a booking, mixing AF and KL flights. When booking on the KL website, I was sure the AF par was not "mini" as it showed miles for both flights.

The booking confirmation received by e-mail also states "Flying blue members earn XXX miles" with a different amount of miles for the AF flight and the KL flight.

But, when asking an agent at the airport, I was told it is indeed a "mini" fare! So what now? Should I take action now, before the flight, to make sure I get 2 checked baggages (1 for classic + 1 for elite status) as well as mileage and segments?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
If you're going to get a LCC service - you may as well book with a LCC, which comes with the added benefit of a lower risk of a strike affecting your flight.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: Flyingblue Platinum, All Accor Platinum, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by volerbleu
I "fear" I have such a booking, mixing AF and KL flights. When booking on the KL website, I was sure the AF par was not "mini" as it showed miles for both flights.

The booking confirmation received by e-mail also states "Flying blue members earn XXX miles" with a different amount of miles for the AF flight and the KL flight.

But, when asking an agent at the airport, I was told it is indeed a "mini" fare! So what now? Should I take action now, before the flight, to make sure I get 2 checked baggages (1 for classic + 1 for elite status) as well as mileage and segments?

Go on AF or KLM site and book an additional luggage for the leg concerned by the Mini fare (using your PRN and family name). You will get you bag checked for 15€ but no Segments or miles credited on your FB account;
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

volerbleu - I'd leave it the way it is and then send an official complaint to KLM after your miles do not get credited. It's their screw up and it's up to them to deal with the situation.

BTW, on Af website the mini fares now appear RIGHT to the classic ones. It used to be the opposite. if they're so talented that they can reorder the fares, why don't they just take their time to make something better out of that mini - joke?

Also, what the heck is going on? There are certain flights where I can only book a mini fare and not the classic one. Are they out of their mind???
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

also, when you are offered an AF-coded flight on alitalia.com, is it the mini-fare or the normal one?

One more reason to fly something else than Air France, isn't it?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:25 am
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
Originally Posted by volerbleu

I recently made a similar booking but noticed that "miles earned" changed to zero when I checked the booking later. Fortunately I had a screenshot from the booking as well as the confirmation e-mail. I showed this to an agent at AMS (during a separate flight transfer prior to the flights in question) and after she made a call, I was informed that (a) it was a known issue and (b) that a note would be added to my booking and I would be able to claim the miles after the flights. The segments have indeed been credited. The error during the booking/confirmation process had not been corrected when I last checked.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Dominikkk
also, when you are offered an AF-coded flight on alitalia.com, is it the mini-fare or the normal one?
I thought that, as long as you booked a flight under the economy basic/flexible fare (AZ also offer Promo Fares i.e. basically the equivalent of AF's MiNi Fares), you would be eligible for miles/segments earning. However, my last experience (BHX-CDG-FCO-AMS-BHX) seems to suggest otherwise. Adding to misery, the fare code when booking through alitalia.com will not appear on the booking confirmation, unless you ring and ask for it.

G
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Many
Use the Saudi Airlines website to retrieve the full data of the fare code.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

exactly. Saudi Airlines do it well, just look for your booking by typing the eticket number.

Last edited by Dominikkk; Feb 2, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:55 am

Brilliant - thanks. G
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Many
My pleasure
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Hard to believe that one has to go to Saudi website. Bravo AFKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.