Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class on AF - LAX to CDG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat; HH Gold; VP Cool Club

I just booked flights from LAX to BCN via CDG. I am concerned about the business class seating on the flight from LAX to CDG as I'm traveling with my mother... the reviews of business class on AF are not so good.

Does any one have first hand experience with flying Business Class? Are the seats on the A380-800 lay flat or are they angled? How much of a hassle it is if you don't have direct aisle access? Should two people traveling together sit in the center of the 2x2x2 configuration or is there a divider between us? What are the best seats to choose or am I better to rebook on a KLM plane????

I want to be certain that we will feel slightly spoiled by sitting up in the front with the comfy seats and the good service...

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by RoccoBoom
...Are the seats on the A380-800 lay flat or are they angled?...
Flat! Other than that, stop worrying so much or you risk a heart attack or a stroke, and enjoy your flight (and Barcelona)

PS 3x CDG-LAX-CDG in C in an A380.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yes, relax and enjoy your trip and the A380
You'll be perfectly fine. Try to take seats at row 60.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If you read the reviews, you know that the A380 seats are not horizontal. Nor are they flat as the foot cushion is a bit lower. But that does not bother too much some posters, while others hate it. On a 380 you might be better off taking the two middle seats as both of you will have direct aisle access if that is a preoccupation. The problem of accessing the aisle is more pronounced on what we call NEV4, which is a version installed on many 777s (that is if you sit in the middle seat in the center of the two window seats).
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Right now, they still have the slightly angled seats (about 170 degrees, I think), which does not bother me, though some people much prefer the 180 degree. Personally, I think the service and food on AF affaires are very good and prefer the overall experience to any of the US airlines' TATL business class.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
If you read the reviews, you know that the A380 seats are not horizontal. Nor are they flat as the foot cushion is a bit lower. But that does not bother too much some posters, while others hate it. On a 380 you might be better off taking the two middle seats as both of you will have direct aisle access if that is a preoccupation. The problem of accessing the aisle is more pronounced on what we call NEV4, which is a version installed on many 777s (that is if you sit in the middle seat in the center of the two window seats).
+1. I am among those who feel that angle unpleasant, perhaps because I tend to sleep on my front. That said, as others have said, the soft product on those flights tend to be good, including the fact that you will have two hot meals (hot dinner and hot breakfast) and recently improved amenities.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

THANK YOU for your responses.

If it were just my husband and I traveling I wouldn't be so worried, but I'm bringing my mother who within the past year had double knee replacement and just got a clean cancer diagnosis. This is our girls trip in celebration of all that being behind her... so yes, I'm more concerned about our comfort than normal! (in a good way!)

I appreciate the pointers to get the middle seats. A DL agent suggested we sit across the aisle so we could still converse so I'll be changing that right away.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:06 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I flew the 380 LAX/CDG about 2 weeks ago. It was a wonderful experience. The seats were so comfortable and the service was among the best I have experienced on any airline. I love this plane and look forward to flying it again. Consider yourselves fortunate that you have that option. Wonderful flight. Oh, yes we were in Business Class. I believe our seats were 68 AB
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by RoccoBoom
A DL agent suggested we sit across the aisle so we could still converse so I'll be changing that right away.
I find the DL agent's suggestion absurd: if you want to both have aisle seats for easier movement you are much better off with the two middle seats.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I find the DL agent's suggestion absurd: if you want to both have aisle seats for easier movement you are much better off with the two middle seats.
Fully agreed.
But maybe your plane is not an A380 but a 777.
You could also have your mother sit at window and you at aisle. You simply would have to get up each time your mother wants to go to bathroom. But that might be awkward if you are asleep.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Take the middle seats. The service is not as good as on the 777 or A340, but it's tolerable. I think they now have better blankets, so sleeping is more comfortable. I'm on the A380 next week so I'll report back.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by lalala
Take the middle seats. The service is not as good as on the 777 or A340, but it's tolerable.
What do you mean ? There is no difference of service on-board depending on the aircraft (except for COI routes).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

iirc, they pass everything our at the same time - no feeling of courses like on the other flights. It felt rushed and impersonal to me.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:10 pm

iirc, they pass everything our at the same time - no feeling of courses like on the other flights. It felt rushed and impersonal to me.
You are mistaken in thinking that this is plane-type-related. The meal service is exactly the same across all aircraft types.

However, some flights (such as eastbound transatlantic from the Northeastern North America - NYC, Boston, DC, Montreal, Toronto) get an "abbreviated service" to maximise sleep. In that case, there is a try with starter, cheese and dessert and only the main is brought separately. This is the case regardless of whether you are on a 777 or an A380 (or any other for that matter). It is the flight's length and departure time which matters.

Incidentally, most other European airlines do something similar (or worse) on those same flights. For instance, on BA you would have a buffet in the lounge but then only snacks served on board (like a choice of pasta or a stew).

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Take the middle seats. The service is not as good as on the 777 or A340, but it's tolerable. I think they now have better blankets, so sleeping is more comfortable. I'm on the A380 next week so I'll report back.
I would appreciate hearing back from you regarding the seat config and which, if any, are better than others. In checking seatguru there really were conflicting reports.

Hope you enjoy the flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.