Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF "suspending" routes from TLS - for winter only or for good?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
AF "suspending" routes from TLS - for winter only or for good?

AF is "suspending" the following routes from TLS:
  1. Berlin
  2. Hamburg
  3. Casablanca
  4. Venice
  5. Athens
  6. Malaga
  7. Seville
  8. Malta
  9. Naples
  10. Prague

According to some sources this is only for the winter season, with Marrakech being the only non-domestic route kept for the winter season.

I wonder whether this reduction is only for the winter season or whether this is simply folding together the Bases de Province plans.

AF also reduces the number of flights between TLS and ORY by 2 to 25, but brings overall capacity on the Paris routes (ORY and CDG) up by deploying more A320 and A321.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2014...-toulouse.html

I believe that AF typically suspends 3 or 4 routes during the winter (Athenes, Berlin and Malaga are typically suspended), but ten is a strong signal. They had increased the number of leisure destinations but EZY is gaining at TLS (and NCE) and the "bases de province" was a failure to compete with them and other LCCs (sorry orbitmic).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by brunos
http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2014...-toulouse.html

I believe that AF typically suspends 3 or 4 routes during the winter (Athenes, Berlin and Malaga are typically suspended), but ten is a strong signal. They had increased the number of leisure destinations but EZY is gaining at TLS (and NCE) and the "bases de province" was a failure to compete with them and other LCCs (sorry orbitmic).
I think we all know that Bases de Provinces would have been a good idea only if it came with a dramatic change in cost and operation structure.
I am pretty sure these routes (not all of them, though) would have been working if operated by Transavia, maybe adding AF code shares to attract the few people travelling for Business purposes.
What has been done (operating them like regular AF flights, just without J/W service) is a failure, for sure.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: M&M/Millemiglia/BAEC
I'm not sure about the other routes, but NAP already is a "sunny" seasonal one, so being suspended for the winter season looks pretty obvious to me.
It's been operated during winter a few (maybe a couple?) years ago, but the operational days were terrible for people working in the aerospace industry around TLS who wanted to come back home for the w/e.
Still, AF provincial bases has proven to be a not-so-good idea, let's put it in this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.