Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of social and political issues related to strikes in France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of social and political issues related to strikes in France

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
Bankruptcy laws are very different in the USA and have been used extensively by US airlines. If a US airline which has been posting losses for many years, like AF, is to suffer such a damaging strike, it would seek protection under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code. Rather than raising more debt (or selling assets) to service its existing debt, the company claims that it does not have the cash flows to service its debt and requires Chapter 11 protection. The fear of the company seeking Chapter 11 protection is a strong deterrent for strikes. In Chapter 11, the company has a lot of flexibility to unilaterally change the employees' contracts and layoff.

This cannot happen in France and most other European countries.
^
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
It seems that the pilots are trying to make the airline's current top management look irrelevant.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JOUY31
It seems that the pilots are trying to make the airline's current top management look irrelevant.
Sounds like that may backfire if they accelerate the growth of Transavia as they announced today. AF/KL can hire anyone they want to work Transavia flights, right?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sounds like that may backfire if they accelerate the growth of Transavia as they announced today. AF/KL can hire anyone they want to work Transavia flights, right?
Yep, although that is understandably "war" I guess...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yep, although that is understandably "war" I guess...
From the outside it seems it has come to that. I hope people on the inside realize how bad this could get. I think management does, but I'm not sure about the majority of the pilots.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Is it possible/legal in France for a union/employers to bankrupt a company on purpose? I mean. If AF abandoned the plan of Transavia, then downsizing AF and sacking people will be inevitable. Or could they go on strike against that too, which potentially can result in bankruptcy?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by JOUY31
That is mosty aimed against AdJ IMO. F. Gagey has much more history with AF (and KL btw) and is much more open to consensus.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I avoid transiting France partly because of the risk of strikes and partly because of the superb service at CDG. I love visiting France, but have been had visits disrupted several times by strikes.

I have realized that striking is the French national sport.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bodory
That is mosty aimed against AdJ IMO. F. Gagey has much more history with AF (and KL btw) and is much more open to consensus.
My only question is... will I be able to fly to NCE on Wednesday morning?

I live 3 hours away from the airport. Need to get a train to Paris at the crack of dawn and then out to the airport.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by stimpy
From the outside it seems it has come to that. I hope people on the inside realize how bad this could get. I think management does, but I'm not sure about the majority of the pilots.
Thatīs possible.

Itīs also possible that the opposite is true; that management has been shortsighted, ineptly attempted to maneuver around the pilots by starting an alter ego airline, and has greatly underestimated the resolve of the pilots.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by CDG1

I live 3 hours away from the airport. Need to get a train to Paris at the crack of dawn and then out to the airport.

AF tends to operate about 50% of CDG-NCE flights and about 20% of ORY-NCE flights. Question of luck I guess, you'll have to wait and see.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
In the other thread (I didn't post the comment there, since I thought I should do it here), someone posted a video of planes on the tarmac, it looked like the pilots parked the planes on runways to block traffic, just like taxis do. Am I correct in this assumption?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDG1

Just a suggestion, but if you are getting up at dawn anyways, why not take a 6am TGV to Nice?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
pilots parked the planes on runways to block traffic, just like taxis do. Am I correct in this assumption?
I might be wrong but I thought maintenance personnel taxied aircraft to remote parking locations. It might look tight because there are apparently a lot of airplanes to park.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tamino
Itīs also possible that the opposite is true; that management has been shortsighted, ineptly attempted to maneuver around the pilots by starting an alter ego airline, and has greatly underestimated the resolve of the pilots.
I'm not that much of an outsider to believe that. I have heard AF management speak at length on this subject and the above characterization is not at all correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.