Wiki Posts
Search

September 2014 Air France Pilot Strike? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy September 2014 Air France Pilot Strike? [merged]

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I was just made aware yesterday of the Air France pilots wanting to go on strike for the month of September. Apparently a statement from the pilots union is to be issued August 28th.

My question is: I have only flown Air France once before, I really enjoyed it and so on this trip which starts from here in Hawai'i to Paris on Sept. 7th I also booked Air France.

What generally happens in these threatened strike situations? Since I am international long haul am I likely to be affected? What happens if you are affected? I've no experience with this and since this is a trip to Paris for two weeks that we obviously have saved and longed for.....I'm stressed out big time thinking that we may just see it vanish like that.

Any thoughts? We have only been to Europe (Paris) 3 times....so this is new to us.

Appreciate any thoughts on this situation.

Thank you.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I would advise you not to over-worry on a strike, especially if you do not have intra-Europe connections out of CDG. Long-haul flights generally get the least affected by strikes.
In any case, transportation to your final destination and meals/accomodation will be provided by Air France in case of IRROP, as long as pushing back your flights back home if you want/can stay longer if your flight gets cancelled or heavily delayed.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I agree with the above. First of all, threatening with a strike doesn't mean there will be a strike. Then IF there is a strike, there are different unions whom usually are divided, some may go on strike, some not. And in almost all cases, the worst that happens to long haul are some delays. Then, in the unlikely case your long haul flight is affected, AF will help you to sort it out, and that goes further than accommodation etc., they will rebook you on another flight, which can also be on KL or DL metal.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If a pilot strike happens, it will have more serious consequences. But this is only the start of bargaining tactics as AF plans to transfer some routes to a subsidiary. I doubt that there will be much action early September. You should be safe as this will be a slow-moving bargaining process. Just a guess
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I hope you are all right and this won't affect our flight. I have never had this happen before so am pretty clueless on how it would be handled if the strike actually occurs and affects our flight(s).

We are limited with the amount of vacation time we have and have also rented a flat in Paris that is not available other than the time we have it booked for.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SNPL, the main pilot union calls for a strike from 15 to 22 Sep.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by brunos
SNPL, the main pilot union calls for a strike from 15 to 22 Sep.
Great, exactly when I planned to move back to Paris
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:19 am

And we're scheduled to fly MIA to CDG on Sept 17. Is this considered a long haul least likely to be impacted by a strike as olivedel mentioned????
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by bebop bonnie
Is this considered a long haul
It is a long haul, indeed. As of now, we can't really know the exact impact of the strike, but I do confirm that generally, Long Haul flights are the least impacted.
And for that specific strike, because it is about a restructuration plan of the Short- and -Medium Haul activity of AF.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Would i be right in assuming HOP-operated flights wouldn't be affected by the strike? I might have to pop around to OSL around the 19th and i'd like to avoid booking flights impacted by a possible strike...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:18 am

Thanks olivelel for your (appropriately tentative) assurances!! I'll continue to watch this thread....and (attempt to) call AF for updates!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bebop bonnie
Thanks olivelel for your (appropriately tentative) assurances!! I'll continue to watch this thread....and (attempt to) call AF for updates!
It will not help to call AF as the call center will not have any info until 48hrs before the strike.
There is a good probability that it will not take place, as this is common French negotiation tactics (unfortunately).
But if it takes place, I do not share the optimism of some posters. A strike by pilots is quite different from a strike by some ground handling or flight attendants unions, often minor ones. SNPL is the major union and even if longhaul pilots do not directly affected (?) by Perform 2020 , they will show some solidarity with their mediumhaul colleagues. Also there will be some elections in six months and a rival union SPAF has been gaining.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:54 am

We're scheduled to fly on Sept 19 from Birmingham UK to CDG. Confirmation says "operated by FlyBe", but was booked through Air France. I'm guessing it is a "code share".

Since it is "short haul", does this flight fall under the category that is likely to be affected by the strike?

Is it too soon to panic?

Thanks for any info, good or bad.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by zelda1928
We're scheduled to fly on Sept 19 from Birmingham UK to CDG. Confirmation says "operated by FlyBe", but was booked through Air France. I'm guessing it is a "code share".

Since it is "short haul", does this flight fall under the category that is likely to be affected by the strike?

Is it too soon to panic?

Thanks for any info, good or bad.
This flight should not be impacted at all, as it is operated by a different carrier, FlyBe.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by koloagirl
I was just made aware yesterday of the Air France pilots wanting to go on strike for the month of September. Apparently a statement from the pilots union is to be issued August 28th.
OP, I'm not sure if you saw, but...

AF's pilots' union just announced a week-long strike between September 15 and 22.

http://www.france24.com/en/20140828-...mber-low-cost/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.