Community
Wiki Posts
Search

September 2014 Air France Pilot Strike? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL, LH, BA, Accor, Hilton, IHG, HERTZ, Avis
I would think that by posting the compensation amounts as a part of a formal (press) release on their corporate website, during the 1st day of the strike, they have aknowledged that this cannot be regarded as extraordinary circumstances.
As said by someone before, I think many will not claim the compensation as they are too happy that they finally reached their destination.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Stranger
You sure this is a real AF flight, not a DL-operated codeshare?
Most of the AF JFK-CDG flights have been operating, with between 0 and 2 flights canceled per day.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Seems that most domestic flights from CDG are cancelled...

The train is pretty nice especially in First. F is not so much more expensive than 2nd class.
Yeah I do enjoy riding the train through the french countryside. The TGVs are fairly comfy and fast if you are on the right line. Unfortunately most of the tracks between Toulouse and Paris are the slow older ones so it takes 6 hours to get to Paris. I had to get up at 6 am this morning to catch the earliest train leaving Toulouse Matabiau.

Anyways SNCF got me to Paris on time and luckily AF 10 CDG-JFK wasn't cancelled today so I am actually in a pretty good mood! I had other options to get home of course i.e. taking a BA flight out of Toulouse to London and then taking AA or BA home.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
They are now already cancelling flights for Friday, i.e. more than 48 hours ahead. Just got a note that my flight from Switzerland on Friday afternoon is cancelled (fair enough, I have an alternative booking since past week). Funny thing is: they cancelled the Switzerland-France portion, but not the incoming flight. On the other hand, they cancelled some incoming flights but not the return. I assume they are merely updating the system, unless they have some funny plane and crew dispatching.

Two more questions: AF says that in the case of a cancelled flight I can ask for my ticket to be reimbursed. How will they determine the amount to be reimbursed in case the outbound has already been used? The "usual" way, i.e. they re-price the ticket on a oneway basis and then reimburse anything that might be left over? Usually there is nothing left over because oneways are more expensive.

The other question: it was mentioned in the press and on this site that passengers whose flights are cancelled do get a compensation, I remember 400 EUR for European flights. Is that also true for cancellations more than 48 hours ahead of the travel date? Also when I ask for a reimbursement of my flight? And how do I go about claiming that? Already mention in on the phone when I talk to them?

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:56 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments. This is the ONLY place that is keeping me informed.

We are vacationing in Carcassonne and will be leaving from TLS on Saturday, connecting in CDG to BOS

I have seen my TLS flight (along with most others) cancelled every day and our CDG to BOS (AF338) cancelled the last two days.

Any ideas what our chances are of getting home? I have no issues with just driving to Paris but I hate having to wait until the day before to find out....

TIA
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:04 am

My flight for Friday AF1480 CDG-LHR has been already canceled too. But similarly to San Gottardo, the return flight is still marked as confirmed.

Is anyone able to get to speak to a CS rep on the number they provide ? I stayed on hold for 1h and nothing. Now they automatically hang on my call because of a large number of calls.

I want to ask AF to book me on an BA flight. Would they comply with my request in this circumstances ?

Later edit: Managed to get through the phone with AF and they accepted to rebook me on BA for the outbound leg. However because the inbound is still marked as confirmed for Sunday and it will be so until they update their schedule they cannot change it.

Last edited by gabrielro; Sep 17, 2014 at 3:34 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I'm really worried about my flight on 9/24 from NRT to CDG. The flight is cancelled through 9/20 so far. 9/24 is outside of the strike period, but uncomfortably close enough that there could be a spillover.

My return is on KLM, so no issues there.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Chartered flights on september17 from following carriers:
- Euro Atlantic-YU: AF896-AF898 CDG BZV CDG
- Corsair-SS: AF344-AF347 CDG YUL CDG
- Europe Airpost-5O: AF1604-AF1605 CDG FCO CDG
- Danish Air Transport-DX: AF1340-AF1341 CDG AMS CDG / AF1904-AF1905 CDG FCO CDG
- Air Explore-ED: AF1140-AF1141, AF1240-AF1241, AF1740-AF1741 CDG AMS CDG
- Neos-NO: AF1440-AF1441 CDG AMS CDG
- Air Corsica-XK: AF7566-AF7567 ORY AJA ORY // AF7582-AF7583 ORY BIA ORY // AF7575 CLY ORY
- City Jet-WX: AF1680-AF1681 CDG LHR CDG // AF1942-AF1943 CDG GVA CDG
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: AF/KL, LH, BA, Accor, Hilton, IHG, HERTZ, Avis
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I'm really worried about my flight on 9/24 from NRT to CDG. The flight is cancelled through 9/20 so far. 9/24 is outside of the strike period, but uncomfortably close enough that there could be a spillover.

My return is on KLM, so no issues there.
Where do you have the info from that Tokyo flights arr cancelled. The AF site mentions only 1 of the flights out of CDG to Tokyo cancelled today and all flights sytill active timorrow and day after. So at present flights Tokyo - CDG seem only partially cancelled until tomorrow.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
My CDH-LHR for today was cancelled as well.

Yesterday I received two emails and an SMS informing me, and when I called (around 8pm last night) I had a phone waiting time of about one minute (announced as three) and was rebooked immediately on BA. No problems, no hassle. In fact it took longer to cancel my Eurostar ticket that I had booked as "contingency".

Despite the number of cancelled flights, it seems that the people on this forum at least are being re-booked relatively easy and getting to their destinations.

I only have Le Figaro, France 24 and TV5 to go by, but I am not seeing horror queues at ticketing counters or people having to sleep in terminals...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
CDG-DUS looks bad as well

Yesterday and tomorrow: all flights cancelled
Monday and today: only one operated

I'm doing DUB-CDG-DUS on friday so hope that there won't be too much an issue! rebooking to EI/KL is 450 EURs!

Being an aviation enthiousast I booked this trip for the Avro/318 combo! Sneakingly hoping to still get both aircraft, or at least one...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:49 am

My HKG-CDG-EDI on Sep 18 but HKG-CDG is cancelled. After calling them for more than an hour, they rebooked me in BA on the same date. I am sure they can rebook in another airline outside SkyTeam.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by Bastiaan De Leeuw
Where do you have the info from that Tokyo flights arr cancelled. The AF site mentions only 1 of the flights out of CDG to Tokyo cancelled today and all flights sytill active timorrow and day after. So at present flights Tokyo - CDG seem only partially cancelled until tomorrow.
AF275 is showing up as cancelled on September 18 and 19 for me by looking at the site...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Was talking with some friends here in HK. She said that they try to rebook on KL, but the bottleneck is AMS-CDG as there are so many AF longhauls rerouted on KL. This is why AF keep a full schedule on AMS-CDG and even hire planes from all kinds of strange airlines as shown by Mokshu above. They have to reroute pax flying from HKG on Tuesday, Wed, and Thur and the local staff is working around the clock and tired.
They do rebook on other airlines. But CX is charging a lot for the nonstop and getting fully booked.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by joyu12
Also, AF Group as a whole would probably not come to a standstill, HOP-operated flights are pretty much unaffected and liasons to Corsica are assured by Air Corsica taking over the few AF-operated flights. Transavia shouldn't be affected either.
I am surprised that AF flights are not contracted to either KL, HV, TO or A5. I am pretty sure that these Airlines have capacity they could use without outsourcing outside of AFKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.