Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding , ESTA problem , Air France

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJCNL
And that is of course just as logical as day/month/year, arrange the units in size order ascending or descending, just like hh/mm/ss
Well I do have this debate from time to time. The first question, is why would you expect it to be logical?

However, if you do expect it to be logical, day/month/year doesn't work because every other expression of numbered units you will ever use, and indeed most organizational hierarchies* go largest-to-smallest, including as you note, hours:minutes.seconds.

So if you decide you want an exception for dates to go smallest-to-largest, that doesn't seem any more arbitrary than having medium/small/large.

* If you can think of an exception let me know! Perhaps one counterexample is internet domain names which go http://subdomains.domain.type(.country), but Sir Tim now regrets he organized it that way.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
* If you can think of an exception let me know! Perhaps one counterexample is internet domain names which go http://subdomains.domain.type(.country), but Sir Tim now regrets he organized it that way.
That example probably isn't even a "real" one - that presentation is merely for the benefit of humans, to help make an address memorable - all such addresses are immediately converted to the "real" address - the relevant IP address.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
The Kings of Umlaut aren't the Germans, it's the Turkish!
I would have given that crown to the Finns!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In Japan (and in many international organizations, particularly technical ones) they do year/month/day

But always (I think) with a four digit year, so it's obvious what's going on.
To me, either day/month/year or year/month/day is most logical. When I can, I write out the name of the month to avoid problems.

Sometimes in Russia they use roman numerals for the month which then makes it unambiguous.

Once USA CBP gave me trouble when returning to the USA because I wrote the date in the European order on my form, IIRC something like 20 July 2001. I was grilled about whether I really had been born in the USA as my passport said. I forget now whether it was immigration or the customs guy, but either way it could just have been an attempt to check whether I was nervous about something. [I apparently passed as I wasn't sent to secondary.]
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by B7e7US
The place of issue is in the visa, but it's written in Chinese . I once had a flight attendant to write the chinese characters down for me.
I was convinced that this was true, but I asked my Chinese speaking bi-lingual seat mate and he told me to just say on the form that my visa for China had been issued in the USA. Fortunately the Chinese immigration officials were OK with this and I wasn't sent back to do another form.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Looks like the return flight issue won't be a problem anymore in the not-too-distant future. Among the proposed updates for the next version of EC261 is a ban on the practice of cancelling returns for not taking the outbound flight.

Won't do the OP any good, but it may be useful for future FT'ers getting lost in the red tape of the ESTA bureaucracy.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diabo
Among the proposed updates for the next version of EC261
Proposed by whom, and with what support?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Proposed by whom, and with what support?
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-119_en.htm
Silence since that round of comments.... the buggers must be too busy deciding who gets what job...

And changes are badly needed when you look at this report: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-558_en.htm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, either day/month/year or year/month/day is most logical. When I can, I write out the name of the month to avoid problems.
I'm gonna put my "IT geek" cap on and say that year/month/day is the most logical as when you have many dates, they can be automatically sorted in plain text :-)
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by RTW1
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-119_en.htm
Silence since that round of comments.... the buggers must be too busy deciding who gets what job...

And changes are badly needed when you look at this report: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-558_en.htm
Note that the proposed changes are simply proposals by the Commission at this stage. Most are really bad and would simply deprive passengers of their right to compensation in most cases.

As we know, the Commission has no decision making power, this is solely the prerogative of the Council and the European Parliament, with the European Parliament taking the lead in issues falling into codecision areas as is the case here. I very much hope that the Parliament will reject most of the Commission proposals which are very regressive. I would strongly advise people not to get too excited (either way) at this stage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.