Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect AF biz ATL-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
What to expect AF biz ATL-CDG

In 10 days, I will have my first exposure to AF (#689) biz and this is a 747 run ATL-CDG (seat 4B).

Will I have problems using my Bose headphones and getting a DL approved size rollaboard in the OHB? How does movie selection compare to DL's BE? I have seen debates about quality of food but what meat can I expect for dinner (e.g. I always get steak on DL)?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Bose headphones will be fine.

I can't comment on the rollaboard as I haven't been on a 747. But I have had no issues with mine on their A380 or 777.

A/V entertainment selection will be adequate but far below Delta in terms of on content quality AND screen quality.

Food should be delicious and every meal I've ever eaten on AF puts DL's meager offerings to shame.

People seem to talk negatively about AF's FAs but I have had zero negative attitudes from any AF staff onboard.

Plus you get to ride on a 747 up top!

Totally jealous!!! (Even though I have been on their A380 3 times in the past six months I haven't ever been on a 747 )

EDIT: have you ever been to AF's international business class lounges at CDG....?? . If not, you are going to be in for a REAL TREAT!!!!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:52 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by 355F1
Food should be delicious and every meal I've ever eaten on AF puts DL's meager offerings to shame.
Flew on CDG-MIA last month; and other than the Pâté de Foie Gras terrine; the entrees (IMO, of course); are better on Delta BusinessElite transatlantic (I've done around 10 segments in the last few months). Also, the cheese course and dessert is more substantial on Delta.

I've noticed a pretty decent improvement (Delta BusinessElite), since the "new service" this past fall. Also, Delta has Pellegrino (in large bottles), which is a plus.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1
Bose headphones will be fine.

I can't comment on the rollaboard as I haven't been on a 747. But I have had no issues with mine on their A380 or 777.

A/V entertainment selection will be adequate but far below Delta in terms of on content quality AND screen quality.

People seem to talk negatively about AF's FAs but I have had zero negative attitudes from any AF staff onboard.

Plus you get to ride on a 747 up top!

Totally jealous!!! (Even though I have been on their A380 3 times in the past six months I haven't ever been on a 747 )

EDIT: have you ever been to AF's international business class lounges at CDG....?? . If not, you are going to be in for a REAL TREAT!!!!
Thanks.

My query about the Bose related to the kind of adapter one would need.

Unfortunately, the AF 744 UD is economy so I am in the nose of the plane.

I had so much trouble getting around CDG that this is my first time back in several year. My connection time is 1 hr 25 minutes and even though I will arrive at 2E and depart from 2E, I am not certain about taking time to try and find the nearest lounge.

I have a pedestrian palate and just hope that the meat will work for me.

I ask about my rollaboard because mine does ok on RJ9 (but not RJ7), MD88, 777, 767 but on DL's 744 UD the case always get bent even though nothing else is in my bin.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I have not flown AF's 747 since 1972 when, due to an oversale, I was upgraded to first. And that's when first class was really first class! Open bar, piano in the upper deck, etc. They nearly had to "pour" me off the plane on arrival at JFK.

But, I digress. I have recently flown AF's 777 and A380 in J and seem to recall that the provided headphones are permanently attached to the center console. So, I'm not sure there's even a plug in for your Bose.

Lounge access at CDG 2E would only be available for your departing flight since 1h25 is not enough time to visit the AF arrivals lounge in 2C. And if you're connecting to a Schengen European destination, you'll probably be departing from 2F, even though AF may tell you it's 2E, since that's where checkin is for 2F flights. But if you are going further afield than Europe, then make sure you know which 2E pier(i.e., K, L, or M) you'll be departing from. If it's M, there is a very nice AF lounge there.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

My final destination is IST and AF has consistently been using 2E for this flight (AF 8447) of recent days (that I checked).
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
My final destination is IST and AF has consistently been using 2E for this flight (AF 8447) of recent days (that I checked).
US-CDG-IST are always 2E to 2E connections, fairly easy. You will have to go through security, but have your business class boarding pass available and go to the Access No1 line. Did it last year, very fast.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
My experience with AF biz class is that it's either really good or really bad, but never anywhere in between. If your experiences are like mine, you'll have an amazing crew, amazing food, and an immaculately clean aircraft. Or you will have the exact opposite.

I wish you a pleasant flight.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Agree with above. Just returned from Paris, did IAD-CDG-IAD on A380. Food is much better than Delta but seats and IFE are not. IFE is adequate but selection wasn't great. Food on the way out was beef or fish. Chicken or fish on return. Wines were very good. First time on AF to CDG so don't know if this is common but food on the IAD-CDG leg was MUCH better than CDG-IAD return. Service was better too. Business class lounges in 2E are nothing to write home about IMO.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

On Tuesday I am on AF #689 ATL-CDG (sear 4B) which is an 777-200. Can someone point me to a thread that discusses this aircraft. I searched but have not yet found the main thread.

Is there a thread that would let me know if the AF lounge or a place nearby that I would go to before my flight to WAW has an ATM where I can get Euros.

BTW, I very much appreciated the responses to my original post and I liked the AF 747 ATL-CDG.

Last edited by Xeno; Nov 9, 2014 at 10:48 am
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
On Tuesday I am on AF #689 ATL-CDG (sear 4B) which is an 777-200. Can someone point me to a thread that discusses this aircraft. I searched but have not yet found the main thread.

Is there a thread that would let me know if the AF lounge or a place nearby that I would go to before my flight to WAW has an ATM where I can get Euros.

BTW, I very much appreciated the responses to my original post and I liked the AF 747 ATL-CDG.
There is no specific thread about the 772. Tell us what kind of information you're looking for and we'll try to help.
For the ATM in 2F, I'm not sure about airside. I never really paid attention. I think there is a Travelex ATM at the beginning of 2F1 and 2F2 halls. I hope some others FTers will be able to confirm.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

I very much liked 4B on the 742, but looking at SeatGuru for the 772 makes me think that there is a lot of congestion around 4B due to the 2x3x2 layout. I guess I am influenced by DL's 767s when they were 2x2x2 which I found to be less than ideal.

Thanks for the tips about the ATMs.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

When I checked-in today using DL's web, I noticed that AF put me in 3E for AF #1046 (CDG-WAW). This is a middle business seat on a 319, but I thought all those seats were blocked so what is going on here? I have not been able to get any help by calling DL/AF.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
When I checked-in today using DL's web, I noticed that AF put me in 3E for AF #1046 (CDG-WAW). This is a middle business seat on a 319, but I thought all those seats were blocked so what is going on here? I have not been able to get any help by calling DL/AF.
Strange indeed.
it will be sorted out
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Very strange. Are you sure you are booked in business class for the European leg ? It seems that you are booked in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.