Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight quasi-full or AF blocking seats ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Flight quasi-full or AF blocking seats ?

This is the current economy seatmap of an Air France CDG -> YUL flight on Airbus A340-300, a little over a month before departure.

Could it be that the flight is already almost full ? or is AF blocking the better seats for elites and whatnot ?

Am I better off not selecting seats at this stage (2 pax) in order to get better selection at online check-in or the gate ?

Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

No, your best bet is to at least get two seats selected right now. In part, seats are blocked for elite flyers and other reasons, but having seats will lower your risk of getting kicked out if the flight is overbooked.

If you give dates, some of our experts could take a look for you.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I just signed up for expert flyer and here is what I get. I'd like to get one of the window seat pairs for me and the gf but many of the empty ones are either "Premium" or blocked (X). Is there a trick to snatch one of those ?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I just signed up for expert flyer and here is what I get. I'd like to get one of the window seat pairs for me and the gf but many of the empty ones are either "Premium" or blocked (X). Is there a trick to snatch one of those ?
No. Premium is just that - for elites only although some might become available at OLCI if they have not been attributed by then. Blocked are the emergency exits (you can get those if you pay) or bassinets for which your only possible trick is to have a baby before you fly. As GenevaFlyer mentions, you should certainly assign two seats together now. Your flight is clearly busy and if you don't you may well not have two seats together at al. If something better is available at OLCI you can just bag it then.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
No. Premium is just that - for elites only although some might become available at OLCI if they have not been attributed by then. Blocked are the emergency exits (you can get those if you pay) or bassinets for which your only possible trick is to have a baby before you fly. As GenevaFlyer mentions, you should certainly assign two seats together now. Your flight is clearly busy and if you don't you may well not have two seats together at al. If something better is available at OLCI you can just bag it then.
Won't they upgrade me on same or alternate flight or provide some kind of compensation in case of overbooking ?

Some people seek busy flights to increase the chance of being op-upgraded or getting bumped off with a decent compensation
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
my experience with such seat map situations is to call AF directly and get them to assign or reserve you seats.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As others have already said, select seats right now, and eventually change at check-in if better seats become available. Area 1 is usually reserved for Elites and remaining seats will be available at check-in.
YUL-CDG (and vice-versa) is a very busy route for AF and planes are very often super full, so if you don't select seats now, you will end up separated and in middle seats near the toilets
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Won't they upgrade me on same or alternate flight or provide some kind of compensation in case of overbooking ?
Compensation - yes. Upgrade - unless you have an Elite status with Flying Blue, this is next to impossible. More likely, as Goldorak said, you'll end up in the middle seats separately.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Area 1 is usually reserved for Elites and remaining seats will be available at check-in.
Very frequently, I cannot choose seats in Area 1, in spite of being FB E+. Once I called the FB call center and politely pointed out that Expert Flyer shows sth different, I was told that "if the website shows that Area 1 is full, then it must be full. Thank you, good bye"
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: skymiles
On any given flight from YUL about 80% of the preferred seats are not taken.YUL is not an elite heavy market but the AF system will still block off about 30-40% of the seat map anyway.All those seats become available to anyone when the online check-in window opens which is 30hrs before departure.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlinsider
On any given flight from YUL about 80% of the preferred seats are not taken.YUL is not an elite heavy market but the AF system will still block off about 30-40% of the seat map anyway.All those seats become available to anyone when the online check-in window opens which is 30hrs before departure.
That's good to know, thanks! I'll select seats now then keep checking back near the start of OLCI window

Last edited by MasterGeek; Oct 11, 2013 at 9:27 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by ok986
Very frequently, I cannot choose seats in Area 1, in spite of being FB E+. Once I called the FB call center and politely pointed out that Expert Flyer shows sth different, I was told that "if the website shows that Area 1 is full, then it must be full. Thank you, good bye"
On 77Ws they block more than half of seats, thats really stupid. And i agree being an elite (even Plat) does not help to get the seats online, and the response you got over the phone is a really funny one
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is it just gold and above who get access to those reserved seats or can silvers get access too?

Last edited by Schwann; Nov 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This seat blocking for elites should be outlawed as a kind of false advertising! Advance seat selection is advertised , but after people pay for the ticket they are offered only a small subset of the seats in the class they paid for
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This seat blocking for elites should be outlawed as a kind of false advertising! Advance seat selection is advertised , but after people pay for the ticket they are offered only a small subset of the seats in the class they paid for
Maybe the BA way is better? Only Silver and gold members (equivalent of FB Gold/Platinum) or full fare paying customers are allowed free seat selection in Economy, Premium Economy, and Business classes. Everyone else has to pay.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Now some seats that were previously blocked appear as available on KLM's website but it comes back with an error when I try to select them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.