Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Paid access to P services for J pax on long-haul flights without a P cabin ex CDG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid access to P services for J pax on long-haul flights without a P cabin ex CDG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: Many
Congratulations to our moderator for this milestone !

Now on the original topic, I would certainly not pay 800 EUR to spend some hours in a lounge that is less than 20 km from my parisian home.

Indeed, the P lounge experience consists in :
- separate lounge, less crowded than regular AF lounges in CDG -> as these are always full, I tend to spend more time at home rather than at the aiport ; on this point, my home will always be be more comfortable than an airline lounge.
- great food -> strong point there ; but how much is a lunch at a Ducasse restaurant downtown Paris?
- hassle-free security / passport controls -> again a strong plus for the AF lounge ; but with free Parafes and an Elite Plus card, the price difference is not justified.
- limo service -> except for a few destinations, most long haul aircrafts are connected with jetways rather than with buses ; and no one knows in advance where the aircraft will stand (again, except from n°1 destinations such as NRT, JFK, etc... where aircrafts always are au contact) ; limo service seems more or less an ego thing to me

Paying with miles might be an option only if I have some hundreds of thousands miles to burn because going to P solo does not seems very attractive to me.

All in, this new service from AF inspires me two things :
- that is another improvement to make some cash with service rather than by simply flying their aircrafts ; the new thing is that it now concerns premium class services (I do not know if that is a good sign for the future)
- the price in cash seems horribly expensive for the improvement compared to regular J / Elite Plus service ; and that is consistent with the current AF P princing.

Thus, who might be the clients of this new service? The same who already pay (not necessarily from their pocket) for AF P i.e. show business, French and African corporate leaders / politicians plus some rich AF fans.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by orbitmic
How can it be that much?? It sounds like an outrageous price to pay when thinking of how much a customer costs in a 3* restaurant or a 5* hotel or both.
I think the "catering" costs are not the biggest part : rent for the space, customs procedures with authorities, limo, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:50 am

You gotta have a boatload of miles to find this offer attractive (unless it's a "splurge of the moment" thing, where cost is usually not a factor) ...
For 57 K miles, i'd rather find a promo award in J to the US (though taxes are high), costing 50 K for select routes .

I actually find it difficult to understand who AF is trying to target concerning this offer :
. people flying in J , by giving them a preview of the P service ? Then why limit it to ONLY long haul flights without a P cabin ? Most people I know who fly AF in J frequently, including my father, do that on a small number of routes. If these routes have a P product, they won't be eligible for this offer. On the contrary, if these routes don't have a P product, they won't be able, after experiencing the airport P offering, to book the full service (on ground and on air).
. people having a boatload of miles without any use whatsoever ?

After asking my father, a long time C2000 on AF flying exclusively on J full fare or P for really long flights (CDG-NRT or CDG LAX), and seeing that even he doesn't understand the logic of it, i fail to understand the rationality behind this offer...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
€800,- for 3/4 hours in a better lounge + a good meal??!!

Sometimes I don't get people's view of the value of money. €800 can do a lot more in Paris or another city than an airport lounge upgrade!
You're asking the wrong question. You're talking about someone who would normally be willing to pay for P, but since P is not available they can have J in flight + P on the ground in CDG. For such a person €800 is not a lot of money, not nearly what €800 means to you.

Here's what I find funny about this: someone pays for J and then the P ground services in CDG... and connects to/from an intra-EU AF C (where one can enjoy the fine wines of Y, or perhaps a Heineken, in a Y seat). Hahahahaha!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations on the 10k!

AF P is clearly a terrible failure and in a desperate attempt to bring in some cash they are selling their premium product in this way. Can you imagine paid for access to the FCT? Granted it can be gained by status but even so I think that its unimaginable.

I wish KL could dump AF and get on with making some money with a fairly decent, fairly priced product with pleasant crew and no where near the risks of strikes and disruption from a functional airport like AMS with easy connections.

I was recently thinking about going for Plat for life but I am actually really worried that in 7 years time AFKL might not exist anymore.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF will survive, as many National airlines, through indirect State subsidies. Whether it will sell KL (while retaining extensive cooperation) to get needed cash is another question.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
I really don't feel targeted by this offer but I can understand the logic behind it. For a very limited amount of pax exclusively travelling in longhaul P it is giving them the option to keep the same ground service at CDG and not to be mixed with the crowd in standard lounge with all J pax (when P is not available). Some premium service for VIP for whom 800€ doesn't have the same value as for most of us out here.

In the past with AF everything was very unflexible. Impossible to enter the standard lounge with an additional guest as an example. Now for all of those extra services they are giving the option to get them with an additionnal fee 35€ for standard lounge and 800 for first class). I think it is interesting as it is at least letting the choice to the pax.

I don't think this new offer will generate lots of additional revenue for AF but at least the frequent P travelers will be able to get some kind of intermediate flying experience when they are going to a destination without P and therefore keep a more positive idea on AF overall flying experience.

Also I think some large company could use this as an incentives when they are inviting VIP customers.

PS I was told that there is for AF only 150 pax regularly flying P
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For passengers who normally fly P but cannot on their route, the ability to confirm P ground services at time of ticket purchase would be important.

For me personally, if I could do this with DL miles, especially on a BE TATL ticket on DL connecting to AF in J/C intraEurope, I would do it at least once for the experience.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For passengers who normally fly P but cannot on their route, the ability to confirm P ground services at time of ticket purchase would be important.

For me personally, if I could do this with DL miles, especially on a BE TATL ticket on DL connecting to AF in J/C intraEurope, I would do it at least once for the experience.
It seems to be bookable only a week before departure...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:51 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by vincentb89
You can book it two weeks before the flight through a travel agent.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincentb89
Originally Posted by JOUY31
You can book it two weeks before the flight through a travel agent.
I know. This is why I made the comment that it would be more appealing if it could be confirmed when booking the flight.

I find the travel agent rule strange as most airlines seem to be discouraging the use of travel agents and want to encourage everyone to book from their own websites.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know. This is why I made the comment that it would be more appealing if it could be confirmed when booking the flight.

I find the travel agent rule strange as most airlines seem to be discouraging the use of travel agents and want to encourage everyone to book from their own websites.
Air France is entitled to provide the same features they offer online to travel agents. That's why such paid options are always available through TA's as long as your TA knows the procedure.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
57,000 miles per passenger
Just to put it in perspective...

For 85,000 LH miles I can get access to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in FRA, but that then includes an intra-European flight in Business Class and a transatlantic flight in First Class. Paying 2/3 of that, 57,000 miles, just for the ground experience is utterly ridiculous...

(85,000 LH miles is what is needed for a one-way transatlantic F class award ticket)
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
Just to put it in perspective...

For 85,000 LH miles I can get access to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in FRA, but that then includes an intra-European flight in Business Class and a transatlantic flight in First Class. Paying 2/3 of that, 57,000 miles, just for the ground experience is utterly ridiculous...

(85,000 LH miles is what is needed for a one-way transatlantic F class award ticket)
You are comparing apples with oranges. The F one-way award ticket for a TATL is 125k FB miles, so 57k it's not even half of it. I guess I am one of the few here on FT who thinks that 57k miles is a reasonable amount...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
You need to add the fuel surcharge on each segment, intra-European + TATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.