Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Air France have a 24 hour cancelation policy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Do you have any insight into such an occurence?

(It must be said here that wishing to cancel a booking with a purported 24-hour window of making the booking - which doesn't apply to Award bookings anyway - would hardly count as an "exceptional case" for which stated T&Cs would be waived).
From my own experience: in case of a sudden death in the immediate family during the trip, AF canceled and returned miles for the unflown return journey on a promo award (they had no seats on any of the flights and I needed to be back immediately). But that's of course different than then OP's case
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
My condolences.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Cool. This is helpful feedback. Thanks everyone. Thankfully it is a Classic award so I can get out of it perhaps for $110 (2 tix)...a little painful but not terrible.

By the way, I made the decision to book in part on this post from Gary: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....thin-24-hours/

Is he just mistaken or have they changed the rules since last year?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ZapperO
Is he just mistaken or have they changed the rules since last year?
Perhaps you should ask him how he was able to cancel for free within 24 hours. I presume the reason you emailed them was because the online tool was not allowing you to cancel for free within this period. (And if you were hoping to reach a conclusion within a 24 hour window, I'm surprised you didn't call. It's far more immediate than sending an email into a black hole-style customer service address=.

It's probably because of posts like this that we have had a number of posts in the last few months from people who transferred miles into FB accounts only to have their accounts closed down or audited. FB is not the best programme for mileage hounds to use without actively earning miles by flying.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:35 pm

Quick update! I didn't take no for an answer and got Air France via Twitter to refund my two tickets and put the points back in my account and give me a full refund (no cancellation fee charged). Yay!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ZapperO
Quick update! I didn't take no for an answer and got Air France via Twitter to refund my two tickets and put the points back in my account and give me a full refund (no cancellation fee charged). Yay!
Well done.

If you are based in the US, the free refund policy applies by US regulations to all tickets, paid or awards.

Last edited by brunos; Aug 26, 2015 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Well done.

If you are based in the US, the free refund policy applies by US regulations all tickets, paid or awards.
Excellent. Good to know. I am US based.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:19 pm

Bumping this thread: as always my apologies if this has been asked before
My parents - who are not tech savvy - just booked tickets to come visit me in the US.
They booked via airfrance.fr (so the french website), and it is a round trip from CDG to JFK and they go through AMS on the way in. FWIW they booked a "Light" fare.

Does anyone know if the DOT 24 hour cancellation policy apply in this case? I know it would apply had they booked on airfrance.us, but I also read that the rule applies to tickets that originate or depart in the US, with no mention of POS. So I don't know if the POS is a dealbreaker.

And yes, I have called Air France, who was completely incompetent and wasn't able to answer, and I also reached out to KLM on social media, who was just as incompetent and they keep directing me to the cancellation form on the website.
Thanks guys!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Klems
Bumping this thread: as always my apologies if this has been asked before
My parents - who are not tech savvy - just booked tickets to come visit me in the US.
They booked via airfrance.fr (so the french website), and it is a round trip from CDG to JFK and they go through AMS on the way in. FWIW they booked a "Light" fare.

Does anyone know if the DOT 24 hour cancellation policy apply in this case? I know it would apply had they booked on airfrance.us, but I also read that the rule applies to tickets that originate or depart in the US, with no mention of POS. So I don't know if the POS is a dealbreaker.

And yes, I have called Air France, who was completely incompetent and wasn't able to answer, and I also reached out to KLM on social media, who was just as incompetent and they keep directing me to the cancellation form on the website.
Thanks guys!
No, it doesn’t apply
Klems likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Well done.

If you are based in the US, the free refund policy applies by US regulations to all tickets, paid or awards.
Why do people keep repeating this? It is NOT true. Airlines in the US are required to provide free cancellation within 24 hours ...OR... a 24 hour price hold. Not both. And its their choice which they offer, not yours. Be very careful assuming ALL offer the cancellation option. Until (quite?) recently AA for instance offered the 24 hour hold.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Why do people keep repeating this? It is NOT true. Airlines in the US are required to provide free cancellation within 24 hours ...OR... a 24 hour price hold. Not both. And its their choice which they offer, not yours. Be very careful assuming ALL offer the cancellation option. Until (quite?) recently AA for instance offered the 24 hour hold.
You are quoting a post I made over three years ago!
And the post was specific to a AFKL ticket, where both airlines have a 24h cancellation rule. The issue was whether FB awards were subject to the same 24h policy.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 7, 2018 at 7:54 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Goldorak

No, it doesn’t apply
Are you sure? I booked AF on the Israeli site (airfrance.co.il instead of airfrance.us) but the flight was TLV-EWR (meaning US) and was able to cancel within 24 hours no problem. Just filled out the form online and got full refund.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Are you sure? I booked AF on the Israeli site (airfrance.co.il instead of airfrance.us) but the flight was TLV-EWR (meaning US) and was able to cancel within 24 hours no problem. Just filled out the form online and got full refund.
This has nothing to do with DOT regulations though, AFAIK all ticket booked online via klm.com/aifrance.XX are cancellable within 24hrs for a full refund by filling up the cancellation form on the website. (no need to call or use social media), I personally had to cancel tickets booked from CPT to Europe and had no issues (bar some minor losses due to exchange rate fluctuation)
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by Ditto; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:17 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
This has nothing to do with DOT regulations though, AFAIK all ticket booked online via klm.com/aifrance.XX are cancellable within 24hrs for a full refund by filling up the cancellation form on the website.
I had no idea this was a thing. Is it mentioned anywhere on the website? I'm not doubting what you are saying, I'm just surprised as I've searched quite a bit and wasn't able to find anything like that.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Klems
I had no idea this was a thing. Is it mentioned anywhere on the website? I'm not doubting what you are saying, I'm just surprised as I've searched quite a bit and wasn't able to find anything like that.
I queried once via social media, and that was the answer I was given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.