Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF7 A380 clips a DL CRJ700 at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
AF7 A380 clips a DL CRJ700 at JFK

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/11/new...lane.incident/
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...t-jfk-airport/
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=8066927
I think I stopped counting the number of collisions AF A380s get into...

Last edited by Arthur Randolph; Apr 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Urgh another collision!

It seems the affected flight AF011 has been delayed until 01:00am JFK time according to airfrance.com, but if part of the wing has fallen off, I wonder if they are being too optimistic.

What puzzles me, is the AF009 flight after this has also been cancelled. I wonder why?!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by CX828
...What puzzles me, is the AF009 flight after this has also been cancelled. I wonder why?!
Most likely the plane to be used for AF9 will now fly as AF11 and the A380 will be grounded for a day or longer.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by number_6
Most likely the plane to be used for AF9 will now fly as AF11 and the A380 will be grounded for a day or longer.
Got the registrations number is F-HPJD. Anyone who flew on this plane before?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:50 am

Youtube it, sobering viewing, and a perfect example of why you should keep your seatbelt fastened until the aircraft has come to a complete stop at the gate !
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKGv...layer_embedded
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Aircraft is grounded in JFK until April 15th. Choumacs are operating on it.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:10 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
This is pretty bad, and not your typical collision either. The A380 was taxing at high speed, and from what it looks like at fault - the CRJ seems to have been stationary..
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:22 am

Programs: FB gold, HH diamond, Radisson gold, IHG gold
Originally Posted by tezzer
Youtube it, sobering viewing, and a perfect example of why you should keep your seatbelt fastened until the aircraft has come to a complete stop at the gate !
Indeed - and that CRJ looks to have gotten a pretty big bump.

Not sure if I should be happy or disappointed about the lack of jokes about French driving so far... Oh well, first scratch is always the worst, eh?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
PAX in the Comair aicraft must have been pretty smashed :/
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Xandrios
This is pretty bad, and not your typical collision either. The A380 was taxing at high speed, and from what it looks like at fault - the CRJ seems to have been stationary..
In a situation like this, I don't think (but do not know) that it is as simple as the Capt of the stationary plane being blameless while the Capt of the moving plane is fully culpable. It is, for example, possible that the CRJ was stopped before an authorized holding place and thus left their tail out over a taxiway. I agree that responsibility also rests with AF to ensure that they have clear access but I guarantee judging exactly where those wings are in space is very difficult.

I am not a pilot.

Lurker
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
That JFK terminal is ridiculously cramped between piers and it is no surprise something like this ultimately happened. There is just not enough space between the two piers. I am surprised LH planes have not had similar clips given they are parked closest in and have the tightest turning distances.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by N830MH
Got the registrations number is F-HPJD. Anyone who flew on this plane before?
If that's the bird, then yes, last September on CDG-NRT route.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Lurker
In a situation like this, I don't think (but do not know) that it is as simple as the Capt of the stationary plane being blameless while the Capt of the moving plane is fully culpable. It is, for example, possible that the CRJ was stopped before an authorized holding place and thus left their tail out over a taxiway. I agree that responsibility also rests with AF to ensure that they have clear access but I guarantee judging exactly where those wings are in space is very difficult.
Possible causes for such accidents :
- ATC mistake giving wrong route for an aircraft (too big to fit) ;
- pilot error not following the good route or badly following the line ;
- handling staff error for the parked plane (wrong spot).

But I'm pretty sure many other causes can lead to such a collision.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
How big is an A380?

Here's a link to a good comparison to show just how much wider the wingspan is on the A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.