Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Super Elite Priority Rewards - when do they apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Starwood Platinum

I became super elite in June 2008, and I have just seen the "Super Elite Priority Rewards" chart which is effective March 1, 2009.

I am new to this rewards redemption stuff, and I'm confused about when these redemption levels apply and I am hoping someone will be kind enough to explain this to me!

For example, I was planning to take a vacation to South America in summer 2009 (i.e. one ticket, for personal travel in economy class). If I book my seat before March 1, 2009 I will pay 50K miles, but if I book after March 1, I will pay 65K miles?

Or does the 65K miles requirement only kick in if there are no seats "available for sale" on the flights I want (in which case I am using my SE status to get a seat that would not normally be available as reward travel)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by m1977
I became super elite in June 2008, and I have just seen the "Super Elite Priority Rewards" chart which is effective March 1, 2009.

I am new to this rewards redemption stuff, and I'm confused about when these redemption levels apply and I am hoping someone will be kind enough to explain this to me!

For example, I was planning to take a vacation to South America in summer 2009 (i.e. one ticket, for personal travel in economy class). If I book my seat before March 1, 2009 I will pay 50K miles, but if I book after March 1, I will pay 65K miles?

Or does the 65K miles requirement only kick in if there are no seats "available for sale" on the flights I want (in which case I am using my SE status to get a seat that would not normally be available as reward travel)?

Thanks in advance.
There are two types of awards available for everyone: ClassicFlight and ClassicPlus. ClassicFlight awards are a set number of miles; ClassicPlus awards give access to "every seat on the plane", but at a significant premium. For example, a 15k ClassicFlight award could go to 200k under ClassicPlus.

As an SE, you have access to IKK, which basically means it doesn't matter whether or not there are ClassicFlight awards available or not; you can get them for the same number of miles. That means only 40k for NA J awards. The only extra fee is the one you pay to call into the Aeroplan call centre, since you can't book with IKK on the web site (but you can book ClassicFlight awards).

With the recent changes to IKK, you now have to pay a 30% premium above the ClassicFlight levels for the same benefit. So, if you can get a ClassicFlight award, it doesn't matter when you book it. But if there are no ClassicFlight award seats available (only 7% of seats go in this category), then you have to use IKK. So, bottom line, if you know when you are going to travel, try for a ClassicFlight award... if you can't get one, IKK now before you have to pay an extra 15k miles.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Phew! Thank you for clarifying!

(I was afraid that the "ClassicFlight" redemption requirements were increasing but am glad to hear that's not the case).
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
By the way, since you're SE and the differential is not that big, you'd be crazy to not buy exec class with points.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
The only extra fee is the one you pay to call into the Aeroplan call centre, since you can't book with IKK on the web site (but you can book ClassicFlight awards).
Just a little correction. The IKK flights do show up on the website.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Well, call me crazy but I plan to book the economy for 50K. To me it's not worth it to spend an extra 25K for exec.

(My personal travel is usually on my own, and I prefer taking more trips that are less expensive than fewer trips that are more expensive... but that's just me!)
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Well, call me crazy but I plan to book the economy for 50K. To me it's not worth it to spend an extra 25K for exec.

(My personal travel is usually on my own, and I prefer taking more trips that are less expensive than fewer trips that are more expensive... but that's just me!)
I agree, you are crazy. For an intercontinental long haul...it's a no-brainer. Unless you are flying to BOG which I have heard does not have the exec first seats.

Perhaps you haven't flown exec-first before?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Occasionally.
In my experience, more often than not, they do not show up.

If they did show up, why do we also see Classic Plus options?
these should not exist for SE.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
You are beyond a shadow of any doubt, completely, utterly, bat-sh!t crazy.

You will redeem the extra 25k for executive first. That is an order!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by zorn
You are beyond a shadow of any doubt, completely, utterly, bat-sh!t crazy.

You will redeem the extra 25k for executive first. That is an order!
No kiddin'. The OP is clearly smokin' somethin'. Seriously. Book the exec reward.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Really? Bestof2k9 said they don't, and Elite IKK awards certainly do not show up at all. Are SE IKK awards different?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Really? Bestof2k9 said they don't, and Elite IKK awards certainly do not show up at all. Are SE IKK awards different?
In my experience, SE IKK rewards show up. For some reason, not all flight combos show....in that case I have always booked one leg correctly, then called in to get the other leg changed (within the 24 hr rule).
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
IKK flights do show up at least on domestic and cross-border, (since that's all I've looked for since becoming SE). They are called "Special Classic".
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MM, MP, onepass, Fairmont Platinum, Millennium Hotels Elite
Angry

Originally Posted by anti_ice
I agree, you are crazy. For an intercontinental long haul...it's a no-brainer. Unless you are flying to BOG which I have heard does not have the exec first seats.

Perhaps you haven't flown exec-first before?

Actually, YYZ - Bogota has the new Exec First seats. Flew it a couple of weeks ago and it was XM 767.

HOWEVER, this crap about dinging your best customers for more points for rewards is making me seriously think about loyalty to AC next year.

Why do they try to bleed their "most valuable" customers????

SOmeone please tell me - I am getting really pissed.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry

I'm with you, the destination is more important than the getting there. I would prefer one more trip a year, than forgo a trip to travel upfront.

18 months and 160+ CRJ/Dash8 segments later have humbled me that it really is ok to fly behind the curtain. I don't like it, but it is a survivable experience. I will avoid it whenever possible, but not to the point of not making a future trip because I blew my miles up front.

I'm always somewhat amused by the people who go on ad nauseum about how much they enjoyed a flight. How great can 12 hours really be that is spent in a tube breathing nasty air, eating mediocre food, in close proximity to strangers and way too many rules and orders. I can think of many places I would rather be, and things to do.

Speaking of banging on ad nauseum, have I taken this OT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.