Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT: What degree of speeding will get you a traffic ticket, in each province?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

At least in ON, until one reaches 120 km/h - one would rarely be ticketed.

I wonder what is the actual threshold for speeding tickets in other provinces (or territories), and whether this threshold varies between local provincial and out of province cars (I am particularly wondering as to what happens in QC)?
Old May 25, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
QC you seem to have to go at least 125 or so to get a ticket, at least in 100 zones. BC if you do about 115 you will get dinged.
Old May 25, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
In alberta at least 126 in a 110 to get caught, i think 116 in 100 in manitoba
Old May 25, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
I can only speak of my experience in BC.

The tolerance is determined by the individual policeman.
Travelling at speed limit+10, you will ignored, speed+15 may get you a light flash to slow you down or an actual traffic stop with a written or verbal warning, above speed+15 could easily result in a ticket.
I know some members who use a 20 kmh tolerance, especially on the open road where the limit is 100 or 110.

Last edited by taupo; May 25, 2007 at 7:33 pm
Old May 25, 2007, 7:33 pm

On the highway in BC I always go 10 kph above the limit and never get a ticket. One time I did 138 in a 100 zone and got a ticket.

On city streets in a big city 60 kph in a 50 zone should be fine as long as you are going with the flow of traffic. In a small town please slow down and do the speed limit, what is your rush?
Old May 25, 2007, 8:31 pm

I usually give myself about 10%... that is, 33 in a playground zone won't cause problems, and neither will 110 in a 100.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Kind of a related question.

Just spent the week in YWG and forgot about the photo radar stuff (being from YOW, not used to it!!).

I got a bright flash last night (probably doing about 72ish in a 60 zone) in a rental car.

What sort of fine am I looking at and how long will it take for the ticket to get to me thru the rental car agency?

Any tips on how to reduce the fine etc??

thanks
Old May 25, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Red face

Originally Posted by Trent

Just spent the week in YWG and forgot about the photo radar stuff (being from YOW, not used to it!!).

I got a bright flash last night (probably doing about 72ish in a 60 zone) in a rental car.

What sort of fine am I looking at and how long will it take for the ticket to get to me thru the rental car agency?

thanks
You got a bright flash. You will be recieving an additional charge on your rental bill when they adjust it plus an "administrative" fee.

I'm sure that the fine folks in Winnipeg will help you know what you are going to see in the mail.

Sanosuke!
Old May 26, 2007, 1:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Reminds me of a Reader's Digest article years ago about a man who got a speeding ticket on an Ontario highway for driving 110km/h.

He complained to the cop that there were so many people who passed him, and that he was just going the flow of traffic. So he took it to court where the judge stayed the violation. When asked just how much leeway drivers are given with regards to speed limits, the judge said, "If you're driving 101km/h in a 100km/h zone, you can get a ticket."

So the author later repeated the experiment and drove slower on the freeway (below the speed limit).....only this time, he got a ticket for driving too slowly!
Old May 26, 2007, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trent

thanks
I got "dinged" for about 12-15 above the speed limit by a camera at the intersection of Corydon and Kenaston. It cost me about $85. However, demerit points are not deducted on violations assessed by the cameras at intersections.
Old May 26, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Thanks A320, that isn't too bad, I could live with an $85 fine with no points lost.

cheers
Old May 26, 2007, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trent, and add in $25-50 for the administrative fee (depending on the rental company).

I got a parking ticket in Toronto a couple of years ago. I paid it, but the bank messed up the payment and National sent the bill to me (doubled because of administrative fee). It'll just come off as a charge on the credit card one day and they may not send you something on paper.
Old May 26, 2007, 7:53 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
In Winnipeg the radar is set at 13k over, so aslong as you stay under that its OK. I have this from a very reliable source, one of the guys who set-up the radar.
Old May 26, 2007, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCMM
In Winnipeg the radar is set at 13k over, so aslong as you stay under that its OK. I have this from a very reliable source, one of the guys who set-up the radar.
I drive at 10 over and have not had a problem since my first and only ticket when the system was inplemented a few years ago.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:04 am

I'm pretty sure that demerit points are not given for photo-radar violations anywhere in Canada... the tickets are sent to the registered owner of the vehicle (who is not necessarily the driver).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.