Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transferring Flights with Checked Baggage at YYZ: a Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Flights with Checked Baggage at YYZ: a Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sweet, thanks YYZC2. ^

Can one safely say that YYZ is the most confusing/difficult airport to connect at, in the entire world?!!!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:14 am

Thanks for the post - it mostly convinces me that it just isn;t worth the hassle. There are lots of airlines that will take me direct now that I don't live in Canada.

You'd think that with a $3billion terminal budget, they could have shaved off a few million to hire a 6 year old to improve the 'procedures' .

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:40 am

Thank's SO much I'm doing the LHR-YYZ-MCO flight on Sat and was wondering what i'd have to do!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Of course, once the new transborder wing is done, this should be good 'ol history.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'm connecting via YYZ on a Sun aft., 19 March headed to LGA on a AP reward ticket and time between connection now is approx. 90 minutes, arriving at 1234 and departing at 1415. Not having done this connection in a while and since the work at YYZ, is this a healthy, comfortable connection? Or more like a sprint? I wouldn't expect it to be crazy busy on a Sun. noon hour but thought it couldn't hurt to ask my learned colleagues here.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:12 am
At Large

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm connecting via YYZ on a Sun aft., 19 March headed to LGA on a AP reward ticket and time between connection now is approx. 90 minutes, arriving at 1234 and departing at 1415. Not having done this connection in a while and since the work at YYZ, is this a healthy, comfortable connection? Or more like a sprint? I wouldn't expect it to be crazy busy on a Sun. noon hour but thought it couldn't hurt to ask my learned colleagues here.
ASSUMING YOU HAVE NO CHECKED BAGGAGE

Your arrival flight in T1 will be no more than a five minute walk down to the bus stop on the lower level which is fairly well marked and a bus will take you to T2 within about ten minutes or so where you'll then go through US formalities. On a Sunday afternoon I can't imagine the US immigration lines being very long.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:16 am
At Large

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Thanks for the post - it mostly convinces me that it just isn;t worth the hassle. There are lots of airlines that will take me direct now that I don't live in Canada.

You'd think that with a $3billion terminal budget, they could have shaved off a few million to hire a 6 year old to improve the 'procedures' .

Dr. PITUK
My daughter recently went through YYZ on a cnx from LHR to SCL all on AC. She was out of customs and baggage replaced on the connecting baggage belt in less than 25 minutes on both flights.
The one hassle still remaining of course is that one has to go through security to gain access to the cnx flight. This, I believe, is going to change also.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by parnel
The one hassle still remaining of course is that one has to go through security to gain access to the cnx flight. This, I believe, is going to change also.

Major hassle. Glad to hear that that may soon(?) change ^

Nice idea for a sticky thread.I try to take carry-on only with all the segments I tend to do in a year(all via YYZ )
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Sorry forgot to mention I likely wll have one piece checked luggage (haven't mastered living a week out of a carry-on for clothes).
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:33 pm

Great info, YYZC2. One question, though: are you sure about the international-USA procedure? I haven't done this intinerary via YYZ in at least a year, perhaps longer, but as I recall one had to claim the luggage along with all the Canadian travelers, clear customs, then drop the luggage off at the connector belt, switch terminals via bus, and then pick the luggage up before clearing US customs and dropping it off once again.

I'm sure you can imagine why I haven't flown Intl-US via YYZ in quite some time. The few times I did this were remarkably painful. I hope you're right -- that they worked out at least a few of the kinks.

One other piece of advice: transit via YUL if at all possible. Long walks but all told a much easier airport for these sorts of itineraries.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:16 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry forgot to mention I likely wll have one piece checked luggage (haven't mastered living a week out of a carry-on for clothes).
Never hung your underwear on the shower ring before I see or wore shirts for more than one day.

I think you now pick up your bag at T2 just before entering the US csutoms area....someone else needs to clarify that.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC - ACMM; LH - SEN
Confirmed. Actually just before Duty Free and then into the U.S. Customs Hall.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: DL-PM, HH Diamond
A tip for connecting in YYZ with checked bags and a tight connection (USA-CAN). I have noticed that bags placed on the special services belt get to the plane faster than those through the regular belt. Typically, this isn't an issue for me as I have enough time to make it, but there have been cases where things have gotten tight and I have had fragile stickers and they directed some bags to the special belt, others to the regular belt, and upon arrival, the only bags that made it were the 'fragile' ones.

I have, therefore, thought about calling all of my bags fragile

Cheers,

Answida
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
tcook, you should have bought the ticket instead, the sale on AC was unbelievable from YEG-LGA!! I am going there as well. Thanks for the transfer info. Should I buy my duty free Appleton Rum and Bombay Gin in Toronto T2 before entering US customs or should I wait until I return and buy it at Laguardia? I can't remember how good the duty free is in LGA - can't imagine it having a good selection as it serves mostly domestic US flights. Any experience from others? Btw, I have myself a 2 hrs connection built in and hopefully that would be enough.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:55 pm

Your arrival flight in T1 will be no more than a five minute walk down to the bus stop on the lower level which is fairly well marked and a bus will take you to T2 within about ten minutes or so where you'll then go through US formalities. On a Sunday afternoon I can't imagine the US immigration lines being very long.
I'm arriving from YYC to T1 and connecting to LGA this Friday the 24th with approx. 90min connection time; anybody have updated experience with the lines on a Friday afternoon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.