Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OT- Avoid the Quality Inn/Days Inn in Brockville ONT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

I just checked into the Quality Inn Brockville (Comfort Inn was sold out). OK, so you can just imagine where this is going.

First let me say that I was in Ottawa at the 4-Points but needed to be in here and Nappanee tomorrow so I though this would be a good place to stay.

My rate was $102+ tax. I go up to my room and the it's hot! I put on the AC and wait 15 minutes and it's still not cooling off so I go downstairs and ask if the AC is working. She said that some rooms aren't but the 3rd floor should be fine (I'm in 323) I said it's just too hot is there another room that I can check to see if the AC is working in it. Go to room 503 and turn on the AC then head back to my room to pack up and then go back to 503. It's cooling down very slowly but it is cooling. I happen to look up and see the water damage, peeling wallpaper and hints of mold starting to grow.

I go to check out. She says I can't. What! She said I have been in the hotel for over 30 minutes so I couldn't leave without paying! I told her that the Choice Hotels Promise hasn't been met and I want to leave without paying. She points to the Choice Promise (or whatever its called) posted on the back wall about 4 feet away and tells me that she was aware of the problem when I checked in????? I said I wasn't told. Yes, but we knew the problem existed.?????? How am I supposed to know if you don't tell me when I check in. Oh, our manager told us not to tell anyone!!!!!!!

So we have a go around on the phone with Choice Club reservations and they are stunned as well. They can't do anything because the manager only works 7-3 and it's now 6:45pm. The girl behind the counter said that if she let me go without paying her boss would make her pay for the room because they can't clean and resell the room again tonight. She ended up checking me out with a zero balance but looked very concerned about what would happen to her the next morning.

I have a contact name at Choice hotels to discuss this in the morning and will be following up with this. I was not upset with the girl behind the counter (as mad as I was about the situation) and I gave her my business card and told her to call me if her manager gives her any trouble. I'm not taking any crap from this property owner. The guy at the Travel Lodge (where I am now) says that the guy is notorious in town for both the Quality Inn and Days Inn and how he looks after his hotels and treats his staff. If he gives me any problems I'll eat him for breakfast with Choice Hotels, BBB, Labour Board, CAA and the Chamber of Commerce. Being a bad property owner is one thing but they fear this poor girl had about tomorrow morning was awful to see. I made sure that Choice Hotels knew tonight that it wasn't her fault and will do so again tomorrow. I am also contacting Diners Club so they are aware of the situation if he tries to bill my cc anyways.

And I thought it was bad because they tried to bill me for local calls and being over 60 min on the net at the 4-points in Ottawa (QB really) after telling me that Plats don't have to pay for local calls. Specifically asked at check in and was told "No, Plats do not have to pay for local calls". The manager put up a big fuss saying the piece of paper in the key holder says different. I told him that "XXXXX said I did not have to pay" so he begrudgingly removes them and proceeds to give me an attitude about it. I was going to stay another night once the bill was cleared up but decided to check out based on his attitude. Funny thing was that he said XXXX girl just came over from Fairmont Hotels and he said they must have different policies for their members HELLO, what does this tell you sir?

Just for good measure, my rental car has over 32,000km and the breaks squeak and there is a weird wind noise above 80km/hr

I'm thinking combined with my flights on Monday that this just might not be my week

Good news is that tomorrow is a new day and as I say everyday is a good day, it's just some are better than others

I had to dial long distance to post so I'll say good night as well. Happy travels everyone
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Confessions of a road warrior make me glad I only travel on leisure trips. I didn't say 'pleasure trip' because air travel because less of a pleasure in recent years.

Hearing of your battles about the hotel's customer satisfaction guarantee reminds me of one version that Starwood has. They've been advertising it a while back in MacLeans's and after the BIG print, there's little print at the bottom that says 'significant restrictions apply'. What's the point of having a customer satisfaction guarantee if so many restrictions apply they are more likely to keep the customer disatisfied.

Good luck with your future travels and don't let 'em treat you like cattle, cattle.

[This message has been edited by tcook052 (edited 08-13-2003).]
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:29 am

Programs: UA Silver
Actually, Cattle, you should post the relevant part of your story on the *wood forum.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
I enjoyed reading this. Did she cancel your Club Choice points? Good luck in the future.

------------------
Prestige

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.