Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 9, 03, 8:30 am   #1

Programs: Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold
AARP for Canadians - what are the benefits?/also Canadian alternative?

The heading is self-explanatory - what does membership in AARP provide to Canadian travellers, in terms of benefits? Is there is an equivalent Canadian organization - if so, what travel benefits does it provide?
FlyerGoldII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 03, 8:49 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Cdn version is CARP first known as Canadian Association of Retired Persons and now known as the Canadian Association of Fifty Plus. Membership begins at 50.

http://www.50plus.com/carp/about/main.cfm

I have been a member for a while. I first took up membership because they gave me 50% off my yearly RRSP brokerage fees. I saved $$$$.
I also joined to support an association that lobbies for seniors. After all, I will be a senior soon. They have a travel program and discounts on hotels plus other benefits:
http://www.50plus.com/carp/member/services.cfm

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 08-09-2003).]
airbus320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 03, 8:57 am   #3
At Large

I have been a member of AARP for six months and don't see the value for Canadians.
Thanks AB320 I will check out CARP--hope its not too FISHY.
parnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 03, 9:05 am   #4

Programs: AC*SE100K
Holy crap, you guys are old !!

RevvedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 03, 9:20 am   #5

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
is'nt this internet thing strange, I had a mental image of parnel as a young man in his early twenties.

You must write Young

Stewart
Old Aug 9, 03, 9:24 am   #6
At Large

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SCMM:
is'nt this internet thing strange, I had a mental image of parnel as a young man in his early twenties.

You must write Young

Stewart
</font>
Life begins at 50--wait and see
Old Aug 9, 03, 9:26 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald & Sapphire; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Ambassador; CarlsonConcierge; AirMilesGold
There are some worthwhile hotel discounts with AARP, particularly in Europe with BestWesterns. 20% adds up to a free night over the course of a week stay, and they have some good properties over there.

Of course AARP is designed for the needs of American retirees. And most here have similar rate benefits for rental cars and other hotel chains through their businesses or elite status programs.

CARP used to have an additional discount off AC fares, but I don't believe this exists any longer, since AC has made such discounts more widespread.

Remember, these organizations are primarily lobbying entities to advocate on the part of the members. The services and discounts are a sideline to lure more members so their lobbying efforts can be said to be done on behalf of many more people than would otherwise join such an organization. Keeping the fee to $10 to $20 a year also makes it affordable.

Both have monthly or bi-monthly magazines and newsletters as well with articles they feel will be useful for their readership. Increasingly, they are dealing with issues affecting "younger seniors" in their 50s who must cope with their "older senior" parents in their 70s and 80s.
Shareholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 03, 4:46 pm   #8

Stewart, only if you knew the hood parnel lives in! Oakville.

I imagined him to be a snooty 50+ semi retired guy who always flies first class, smokes nothing but Havanas, has few million frequent flyer miles with 2-3 airlines and rides around town in limos.

[This message has been edited by Karmic Flyer (edited 08-09-2003).]
Karmic Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 03, 5:26 pm   #9

Poated by Karmic flyer:
"50+ semi retired guy who always flies first class, smokes nothing but Havanas, has few million frequent flyer miles with 2-3 airlines and rides around town in limos."

He thinks it's Parnel and here I thought all along it was Ferrari
Old Aug 9, 03, 11:24 pm   #10
At Large

Quote by karmic flyer;
smokes nothing but Havanas
You got the Havanas right on---smoked a 13 inch long double Corona tonight fresh from Cuba along with a very nice "Poire William" out of the freezer at a local Oakville resturant's patio listening to music playing on Lakeshore for the local Jazz festival.
Ah summer in Canada!!!!