Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada launches internal investigation into treatment of Saskatoon toddler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada launches internal investigation into treatment of Saskatoon toddler

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by vernonc
I think your main point is that to hell with the minority so long as the majority are looked after well ?
So the airline did not deliver the stroller at the plane disembarkation. Then they ignored her. Then they told her to wait. But you think she should have disregarded their instructions, walked to a washroom with the kid and bags, changed the diaper and come back and stand in line again ? Obviously all the passengers fault.
That's an extreme exaggeration of my point, but yes. You think the majority should be held hostage to the whims and desires of the overwhelming minority?? Or are you one of those idealists that thinks carriers can and should somehow meet every need of every passenger simultaneously? Believing either of those two things is extremely naive.

Last edited by kb9522; Sep 22, 2017 at 5:24 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb9522
That's an extreme exaggeration of my point, but yes. You think the majority should be held hostage to the whims and desires of the overwhelming minority?? Or are you one of those idealists that thinks carriers can and should somehow meet every need of every passenger simultaneously? Believing either of those two things is extremely naive.
I think we are going in circles. You refuse to admit when even AC has admitted that they did not meet their service levels and SOP. No one is asking them to be 'held hostage to the whims and desires of the overwhelming minority'. Delivering a stroller is not new or extraordinary.
If I was in the complainants shoes, I would be pissed off too. In fact, a stroller not being delivered till 1.5hrs late at the baggage belt has happened to me too but many years back so no point rehashing. For the most part, I have been comfortable with AC service level at least on the plane and in the terminal but I am SE and therefore have access to the concierge and other benefits.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I think we are going in circles. You refuse to admit when even AC has admitted that they did not meet their service levels and SOP.
Of course I have, repeatedly. But in case you missed it, let me say it again... This passenger has a valid criticism of AC ops. That criticism gets lost in sensationalist headlines and the (ridiculous) public outrage that followed from blowing things out of proportion. And that is exactly what this is, a small issue that has been blown way out of proportion.

No one is asking them to be 'held hostage to the whims and desires of the overwhelming minority'.
That is exactly what happens when minor issues affecting a minuscule proportion of passengers are forced center stage by means of extreme headlines and the inevitable public outcry that follows. Do you really not believe that having to deal with massive PR problems like this detracts from the carrier's ability to work on and correct other issues? The optics are the worst part of what happened here, the incident itself, while unfortunate and tremendously frustrating for the passenger, is hardly an issue that needs to be addressed at a (inter)national scale. An oversized item took way longer than it should have to get to a passenger who was largely inconvenienced by the delay... Big freaking deal.

Delivering a stroller is not new or extraordinary. If I was in the complainants shoes, I would be pissed off too. In fact, a stroller not being delivered till 1.5hrs late at the baggage belt has happened to me too but many years back so no point rehashing. For the most part, I have been comfortable with AC service level at least on the plane and in the terminal but I am SE and therefore have access to the concierge and other benefits.
I would be pissed off as well. But there is a right way and a wrong way to handle it, both as the situation unfolds and after the fact. The parent failed catastrophically in both aspects.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kb9522
Do you really not believe that having to deal with massive PR problems like this detracts from the carrier's ability to work on and correct other issues?
It’s “PR problems” like these that encourage companies to work on and correct all issues. This is true of all companies, not just airlines.

As Uber’s new CEO recently said in the aftermath of London’s decision to revoke their license to operate, “the truth is that there is a high cost to a bad reputation.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.