Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 2017 Investor Day; Airline Establishes New Targets for 2018-2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 2017 Investor Day; Airline Establishes New Targets for 2018-2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
It sounds like they are finally ditching RESIII. I’m guessing they will move to Amadeus. It’s the most logical move for them, especially as they already use some Amadeus technology for ticketing.
They tried before, albeit not with Amadeus. Was a disaster.

The new woman also was involved in a similar disaster at WS. Not sure if at that point she was primarily an IT or a marketing person though. But anyway, looks like she has a sizeable budget for IT improvements, at least for a couple of years.

Whether the relationship with IBM will survive is an open question at this point.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
  • Does the new Max have the legs to fly - reliably - westbound nonstop to Hawaii in the wintertime?
  • Can't see OGG/HNL providing the premium traffic that mainline requires.
  • Add IST. Remove CCU and MMA?!? Consider more Mexico (not necessarily sun destinations).
LOL this is Air Canada the premium traffic? its ROUGE! United has lots of layflats to HNL, AC gave up on premium traffic long ago.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
WS flies YVR-Hawaii year round on 737NGs so the 7M8 should be fine. I doubt this will go back to mainline though - Hawaii is a leisure route.
Right, so what about YYC? That's precisely why WS obtained their 767s - to avoid the mid-winter OAK tech stop. And YYZ-HNL? While the 73M may have the legs to fly from Vancouver, there will often be more bums trying to fly than there are seats to contain them.

As for Hawaii going to mainline, I think we're all saying the same thing.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by flybit
time to order some A350, quickly, and from a customer standpoint we would love a larger economy seat, and the plane is more efficient, however AC has missed the "cheap" deals on this plane.
AA has some orders that they keep deferring. They were purchased - cheap - in the US days, but AA doesn't want to begin a small (to them) new sub-fleet. I'm sure this is something that AC could look at purchasing. But in the end, they are quite similar aircraft to the 787 which is why AA is trying to avoid them.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by smallmj
According to the investor day report, AC plans to retire the Dash-8 100/200s and the CRJ-200s. This is most of their capacity in the 40-50 seat range. I guess we'll be seeing fewer flights using larger birds for markets served by these aircraft.

AC never mentions the little Beechcraft 1900s in these reports. I wonder if there are any plans to retire/replace them. A ton of them fly around Atlantic Canada, going to places like YQM, YYG, YSJ, YFC, and YYR. I can't see these runs being replaced by Q400s.
I thought the Beachraft 1900s were to become the semi-disowned kids in the family. They don't get the new paint job, no one talks much about them, they are permitted to stay in the family as long as they keep a low profile and don't make a fuss.
j_the_p likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I thought the Beachraft 1900s were to become the semi-disowned kids in the family. They don't get the new paint job, no one talks much about them, they are permitted to stay in the family as long as they keep a low profile and don't make a fuss.
Lollll
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Member

Will they just paint the targets on or will they use pre-printed bullseyes, and if so how will they attach them to passengers?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:19 am

United has lots of layflats to HNL,
And UA fills a lot of those layflats to HNL at $100/block hour
AC gave up on premium traffic long ago.
Yeah. AC gave up on all that premium Hawaii-bound traffic
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
And UA fills a lot of those layflats to HNL at $100/block hour

Yeah. AC gave up on all that premium Hawaii-bound traffic
If there was adequate return on revenue premium traffic, it's highly unlikely they would have given it up.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
If there was adequate return on revenue premium traffic, it's highly unlikely they would have given it up.
Agreed. My post about all that "Hawaii bound premium" traffic was sarcastic.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Agreed. My post about all that "Hawaii bound premium" traffic was sarcastic.
^
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Originally Posted by Sparseflyer
Lollll
Fiordland is actually right.

We asked AC corporate if the Beech 1900s disappearing from the magazine fleet listing was a sign they were leaving. They are staying.

Not only won't they not get the new paint job but they are being painted without AC logos/livery. They need them in the fleet but don't want the public image of the luxury Dreamliner and 737Max fleet to be cheapened by the Beechcraft.

Last edited by expert7700; Sep 20, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700
but don't want the public image of the luxury Dreamliner and 737Max fleet to be cheapened by the Beechcraft.
Did a Beechcraft try to sneak into the J cabin?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
They tried before, albeit not with Amadeus. Was a disaster.

The new woman also was involved in a similar disaster at WS. Not sure if at that point she was primarily an IT or a marketing person though. But anyway, looks like she has a sizeable budget for IT improvements, at least for a couple of years.

Whether the relationship with IBM will survive is an open question at this point.
Yes, that was when they were working with ITA Software to build something from scratch, which they abandoned after realising this wasn't going to work. Moving to an established system like Amadeus won't have those types of challenges as the core system already exists.

Now, whether they will be able to handle the system migration gracefully is another question.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Yes, that was when they were working with ITA Software to build something from scratch, which they abandoned after realising this wasn't going to work. Moving to an established system like Amadeus won't have those types of challenges as the core system already exists.
Seems to me that the real question was and still is whether they are ready to make the changes that will be needed in the way they operate so as to be able to use a more or less standard platform.

And yes, Amadeus it should clearly be. But we have not heard much about what is going to happen, and I don't believe Amadeus has been mentioned.

Anyway, let's hope they ditch IBM, and that the new person knows what she is doing. At leats the money is in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.