Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada - Cathay Pacific Interline Baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada - Cathay Pacific Interline Baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Air Canada - Cathay Pacific Interline Baggage?

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The Information Desk forum is a safe and flame-free place for members (especially newer members) to post questions. It is also a good place for questions which do not easily fit in a single forum. However, if you know which forum on FlyerTalk is best suited for your question but don't want unfriendly responses, there are also a number of flame-free threads for program specific questions. They are often labelled "Newbie Lounge" but everybody is welcome to post questions there.

Hi everyone, I am new here and was hoping someone could help me with my situation or maybe lead me to the right forum.

I will be travelling from Canada to Hong Kong with Air Canada, and will proceed to the Philippines from Hong Kong to Manila on the same day (leaving 4 hour lay-over just in case) with Cathay Pacific, 2 separate tickets.

YEG-AC-YVR-AC-HKG -

HKG-CX-MNL -

I have talked to Air Canada, but I keep getting answers when I ask them about their interline baggage agreement, some say, they won't check my bag through since it's 2 separate tickets, but some say they can do it as long as I have my cathay pacific tickets with me. Does anyone have a definite answer or know if AirCanada has an actual policy for this?

IF they do check my bag through to my final destination, how does the baggage allowance work? Will I have to pay extra fees when I get to Hkg since Cathay pacific inter-asia allowance is only 30KG? (AC international is 2 @ 23kg each.)

And on my way back,MNL-CX-HKG, HKG-AC-YVR-AC-YEG. I know that CX will through-check bags, but can I request that my baggage allowance be AC's allowance as I will be travelling back to Canada on the same day?

Thank you kindly.

PS.I'm not sure if I'm getting the abbreviations right, so please correct me if I'm totally off.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Mary BT

As you're starting with AC, we'll move your post to the AC forum for further assistance.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You should assume that AC will not interline as you are on two separate tickets. You should also be aware of the risks of travelling with two separate tickets, which is that if you don't present yourself I time for your CX flight, that entire ticket will auto-cancel and you'll need to buy a new (return) ticket. Four hours may seem like a long time, but remember that you'll need to reclaim your luggage and check in again in HKG.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Four hours may seem like a long time, but remember that you'll need to reclaim your luggage and check in again in HKG.
4 hours is plenty for HKG even if the bag needs to be rechecked. It's only a problem if the inbound flight is delayed substantially.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SilverChris
It's only a problem if the inbound flight is delayed substantially.
Of course, that's what I meant.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
AC can and should check your bags all the way through.
Why don't you put all the flights on the same ticket?
Then you can interline both ways, and have no issues getting AC's baggage allowance on the return.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

On separate tickets I doubt AC will (but they could). It's not on one ticket because, I suspect, that would have been much more expensive.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Didn't either Ben or Andrew once state that AC will check through to any carrier with which it interlines?

To answer my question: yes: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1184969-will-air-canada-check-through-baggage-separate-tickets-pnr-ac-ac-interline.html
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I interlined AC to HKG with PR to MNL no problems, separate tix
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You should assume that AC will not interline as you are on two separate tickets. ..
Incorrect. One should be prepared in case it isn't done however, if all is as it should be, one should assume that it will be done.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supatight80
I interlined AC to HKG with PR to MNL no problems, separate tix
Did you have any problems doing this? Would you mind elaborating your experience ? I'm not really sure how to go about doing this.

-----
2 separate tickets because I had originally planned on staying in hong kong for a week but plans changed and will be going straight to MNL after landing in HKG.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
In case AC won't tag your bag to MNL, you should at least try to approach the CX transfer desk before going through immigration in HKG.

The CX transfer desk might be able to get someone to intercept the bag and re-ag it for you onto the CX flight. CX is known to do this, however it is not guaranteed.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:43 pm

Yeah AC will do it. Just have to find an agent who knows what they're doing, which probably means showing up early enough so you're not in a huge panic.

Often its not even an option for a travel agent to put everything literally on one ticket. So its not a matter of a customer trying to pull a fast one on AC by buying separate tickets.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I would recommend that after they hopefully do it, you check the tag actually lists the expected route and final destination. Maybe even photograph it.

And keep a spare set of clothes in your hand luggage in case it turns up later than you.

Not that I don't trust AC
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
Incorrect. One should be prepared in case it isn't done however, if all is as it should be, one should assume that it will be done.
No. I suggest you read AC's CoC for international tickets, in particular rule 60 (5a) and (61), where it is clear that baggage will only be transported as far as stated on the ticket the passenger hold, not across a multitude of separately booked tickets.

That AC chooses to do the passenger a favour should not be interpreted as a new rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.