Wiki Posts
Search

Playing chicken with eUps

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Playing chicken with eUps

Im booked on AC 7557 tomorrow, ATL to YYZ. (Actually, UA 8111 on 016, because reasons). Standby and upgrade list is showing economy is full, Business is available: 9 seats, 6 booked, 2 checked in.

J3 C3 D3 Z3 P3 R1 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 from expertflyer.com, but maybe out if date if within 24 hours? Not wrong, though, it maps to SBUL.

The online tool had me blocked out previously, the app and OlCI each are asking for 6 credits. Im SE, and R1, I guess I'd be pretty much guaranteed it? I have 88 in the bank. Or do I hope for someone else to be transferred over so I move up? Does being on the codeshare matter?

What is the strategy here? Generally and specifically.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Using eup credits guarantees it.

Are you hoping for an opp-up by not confirming the upgrade immediately?

Having a Y ticket when Y=0 doesn't mean they are oversold. Even if oversold, not everyone always checks in or makes their flight.

To me, eups are scarce enough that using 6 credits to upgrade a narrowbody flight 3 or 4 hours is a bad value.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
If you have left over Eup credits at the end of the year, why worry. Just use them.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You are not going to get an opup.

If you want J, use the eUps.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
My general strategy is simple. I book a flight. If the plane has multiple cabins , I upgrade it. Then I book a flight. If the plane has multiple cabins, I upgrade it...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Im booked on AC 7557 tomorrow, ATL to YYZ. (Actually, UA 8111 on 016, because reasons). Standby and upgrade list is showing economy is full, Business is available: 9 seats, 6 booked, 2 checked in.

J3 C3 D3 Z3 P3 R1 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 from expertflyer.com, but maybe out if date if within 24 hours? Not wrong, though, it maps to SBUL.

The online tool had me blocked out previously, the app and OlCI each are asking for 6 credits. Im SE, and R1, I guess I'd be pretty much guaranteed it? I have 88 in the bank. Or do I hope for someone else to be transferred over so I move up? Does being on the codeshare matter?

Sorry, I don't understand.

You are booked on a flight for tomorrow. It is R1. That means you can take that R1 to get into J cabin. Otherwise you sit in Y.

Not sure what it is exactly you need and what you mean by playing chicken.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I understand your dilemma, but in my case I usually have far few eup credits and so my decision is not based on playing chicken, but picking the flights that I would prefer to upgrade and simply hoping to be op uped on the remainder. Two or three years ago, I would get two to three op ups a year on transcons or TATLs so my hopes were not necessarily fruitless.

I am now finding that even getting euped as a lowly E50 is difficult and I think the push to bids and LMUs is pushing me to use eups whenever I can. As much as the expertflyer stats suggest that someone will get opuped, I would just eup--it avoids you sitting in y if an oversell is remedied by simply moving the last of the GTE into J.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
My general strategy is simple. I book a flight. If the plane has multiple cabins , I upgrade it. Then I book a flight. If the plane has multiple cabins, I upgrade it...
Yes, but from what I understand, most turboprops don't have multiple cabins .

I've been lucky to have a few paid TPAC J in the last few years (almost officially over now) to get me status and not have to use e-ups. That means I use e-ups on just about every domestic flight (since I won't pay for upgrades PLUS e-ups). I was surprised to just get upgraded YVR-YYZ-DCA for 10 credits, last minute, no cash on a Tango fare, good bar service, and Kitkats provided - once the person next to me insisted. All is good .

Off to my gate!

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Yes, but you use Latitude FPs, which means eUps are worth virtually nothing to you.

I also upgrade every flight I'm on that has a J cabin, because I can never use all mine by the end of the year.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Isn't this just a case of planning ahead and rationing your eUps as necessary?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Isn't this just a case of planning ahead and rationing your eUps as necessary?
If one doesn't control one's travel itinerary, not necessarily. Those forced by corporate policy to book Flex or Tango, eUps can disappear fast.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If one doesn't control one's travel itinerary, not necessarily. Those forced by corporate policy to book Flex or Tango, eUps can disappear fast.
Sure, so then what "strategy" can the OP use? I don't think much of a strategy. If OP has personal/vacation trips, then save it for those I'd say.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sure, so then what "strategy" can the OP use? I don't think much of a strategy. If OP has personal/vacation trips, then save it for those I'd say.
I use the same strategy for eUps as I do for my Aeroplan miles. Earn and burn. i never know what flight I'm taking in the future, and who knows what other "enhancements" AC will make. Might as well enjoy the eUp now, on a flight that I'm for sure taking, instead of saving them up for a potential future flight.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Yes, but from what I understand, most turboprops don't have multiple cabins .
Very true, but I do get to sit in a multi-cabin plane at times.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, but you use Latitude FPs, which means eUps are worth virtually nothing to you.
Sure, and that is part of my general strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.