Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) - getting credit when re-booking results in fewer SQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
What is ORC (Original Routing Credit)?
ORC is when you receive SQM, SQS, SQD, and Aeroplan points based on the itinerary you booked, rather than the itinerary you flew.

When am I eligible for ORC?
If, on day of departure, you encounter irregular operations, such that you are rebooked from flights that can be credited to Aeroplan (generally Star Alliance, but there are other airlines where this would be eligible) to flights that cannot be credited.

For example, if you are scheduled to fly YOW-EWR on AC, and EWR-CDG on UA, but due to a delay, AC or UA rebook you on AF YOW-CDG.

But what if I get re-booked on AC and/or Star Alliance partners and earn less than my original itinerary?
Generally, ORC is not awarded for re-bookings on AC/*A. On one occasion, an FTer reported receiving a makewhole for the reduced Aeroplan points after being re-booked on a different *A itinerary, but no SQx. If you're re-booked entirely on AC/*A, you should expect no ORC.

What does ORC give me?
​​​​​​
If AC, gives you ORC, they will generally give you missing SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points. They have consistently not awarded SQS.

How do I request ORC?
After travel is completed, email [email protected] with as much of the following as you have:
1. Your name and Aeroplan number
2. A brief description of what happened
3. A copy of the original itinerary (the most recent confirmation of what you were supposed to fly), including the ticket number
4. A copy of flown itinerary (if you received one after the rebooking)
5. Copies of the original boarding passes for what you were supposed to fly
6. Copies of the boarding passes for the flights you actually flew

How do I maximize this?
After the rebooking, add a frequent flyer number to the new flights that is eligible for accumulation. For example, if you're rebooked onto AF, add a SkyTeam program number, so you can earn miles from that flight, in addition to receiving the ORC.

Where can I find AC's ORC policy?
You can't, because it's not published externally. ORC is not a stated benefit of Aeroplan, purely a goodwill gesture.
​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) - getting credit when re-booking results in fewer SQM

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan

Recently I was re-routed on a flight from YVR-YYZ-CDG due to a mechanical out of YVR. My re-route was YVR-LHR on AC but LHR-CDG on BA, so no miles credit for the BA run and the YVR-LHR miles are less too.
My Altitude account has only been credited for the YVR-LHR route, so in essence I loose approx 1500 miles. In this case am I entitled to my original routing miles?
Anyone experience a similar situation...
Old May 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Yes, since you flew on BA (OneWorld), you're entitled to your original routing miles.

Not sure how AQD would work here, but ORC (original routing credit) would be completed by AP.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Yes, since you flew on BA (OneWorld), you're entitled to your original routing miles.

Not sure how AQD would work here, but ORC (original routing credit) would be completed by AP.
Yep, thats what I was thinking too but I hope I dont have to go to the tenth degree to get the miles from Altitude...Lol
Old May 16, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by james dean
Yep, thats what I was thinking too but I hope I dont have to go to the tenth degree to get the miles from Altitude...Lol
You will have to go to the tenth degree. This happens to me sometimes in reverse, I spend a lot of time going from Victoria to Boston or Providence on Alaska. They have one plane overnight in Victoria and I use the first flight out to connect to Seattle then onwards.

Out of 20 trips I have been rerouted twice on AC due to mechanical or crew issues and I once voluntary bumped when it was oversold. I get AC miles but never AA or Alaska miles as I am on AC metal.

It has only happened to me one time with AC putting me on a United plane to Chicago then Providence as AC had just dropped YYZ-PVD. Then UA put me on AA and I received no AP miles (before altitude/attitude I believe)
Old May 16, 2017, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's actually pretty easy.

Send an email to [email protected].

This was my email (back when US existed and was *A):

Hi,

I was scheduled to fly US Airways SFO-PHX-SAN (originalticket.pdf), but due to weather delays, they rerouted me onto American Airlines SFO-LAX-SAN (updatedticket.pdf).

The boarding passes for the flights I took are in aa-boardingpasses.pdf. I missed my connection there due to weather, so I was rebooked the next day LAX-SAN. All three boarding passes are in the attachment.

Please credit me the AQM and class of service bonus (these were A fare, as can be seen by the credit for the return flights which included a 50% bonus) I should have earned.

Thank you,
Scott Kennedy
[Aeroplan number]
It had the attachments with copies of ticket receipts and boarding passes.

I never received a reply, but the miles and COS bonuses posted some time later as if I'd flown my original itinerary.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I went to the 11th degree on the same issue and got nowhere. YVR-KOA. Rerouted to HNL due to a mechanical in YYZ that caused me to miss flight from YVR.

Interestingly, there were about 8 of us in the same boat and we missed the KOA flight by 20 min. AC refused to hold it. They preferred to put everyone up at the Fairmont and pay for meals. Flew us to HNL the next day. Some people were downgraded because there were limited seats available. Connected in HNL to KOA. Fortunately, the connection was a 35 min flight and I also collect HA miles so I got something on my own. Points only to HNL.

Should also mention that the bags were delayed another day. The eight AC pax staring at the carrousel and each other. That was before my FT days so I didn't know to ask for anything .

AC and AE absolutely refused to budge on the issue.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I went to the 11th degree on the same issue and got nowhere. YVR-KOA. Rerouted to HNL due to a mechanical in YYZ that caused me to miss flight from YVR.

Interestingly, there were about 8 of us in the same boat and we missed the KOA flight by 20 min. AC refused to hold it. They preferred to put everyone up at the Fairmont and pay for meals. Flew us to HNL the next day. Some people were downgraded because there were limited seats available. Connected in HNL to KOA. Fortunately, the connection was a 35 min flight and I also collect HA miles so I got something on my own. Points only to HNL.

Should also mention that the bags were delayed another day. The eight AC pax staring at the carrousel and each other. That was before my FT days so I didn't know to ask for anything .

AC and AE absolutely refused to budge on the issue.
Are you serious? YVR-KOA is 2724 miles. YVR-HNL is 2705 miles. They owe you 19 miles.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 172pilot
Are you serious? YVR-KOA is 2724 miles. YVR-HNL is 2705 miles. They owe you 19 miles.
Well 28, technically
Old May 17, 2017, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Wow, interesting experiences...
Update: the great concierge ladies at YVR assured my mileage will be credited, but might take 10-14 days to post on account.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
Well 28, technically
Oops. I forgot the J bonus. Well now that it's 28 miles, that's a different story.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Oops. I forgot the J bonus. Well now that it's 28 miles, that's a different story .
FTFY.

But seriously, if I fly 49972 miles and AC gives me E35k (and $6k AQD) how much sympathy will I get?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
The difference is 39 miles according to my AC records but 180 miles by geography .

This happened when one got 500/segment (just before the change at AC. Then there is the COS bonus.

It was a revenue J tx. AC booked me into Y on HA. At the time agent said there were no J seats. It's a short flight. I wasn't that bothered but it is irritating to pay for one thing and get something different.

How many of those near-to-year end FT threads have I read where somebody is X miles from reaching a status? In same situations, it can make a difference.

FYI, HA gave me 500 miles and sat me in J. It required only a polite request when I arrived in HNL. This gave me lounge access in HNL during the layover (no status with them, just collect points) which was helpful.

However, the real point is the OP's question and my response was I could not get the points for the re-route by AC. Perhaps their policy has changed?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Can I claim original routing credit if my initial itinerary was on AC metal and I was rebooked on LH metal? I am pretty sure I am SOL but thought I would ask anyway...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jasdou
Can I claim original routing credit if my initial itinerary was on AC metal and I was rebooked on LH metal? I am pretty sure I am SOL but thought I would ask anyway...
If you earned fewer miles as a result due to an IRROPs re-booking, yes, you can get ORC.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:56 am

I called aeroplan last time it happened to me (7 years ago), told them I was involuntarily re-routed due to weather, asked for status miles as well, got full credit. It can matter, as that was enough for early recognition of status. Definitely worked to my benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.