Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection in LHR to YVR from BCN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, Hyatt DM, Le Club Accor etc...
Connection in LHR to YVR from BCN

Hi everyone,

Want to get some idea on how should I plan for my connection flight.

I had my flight arriving at LHR via BA from BCN at 11:30AM, then I need to catch my other flight from LHR to YVR via AC.

Since I am not travel in the same airline (It is 2 different bookings).

I got some questions as below:

1. Where can I pick up my bags?

2. Do I need to clear custom or I can just head down to the connection counter inside the terminal?

3. Should I tell BA when I check in at BCN that I have to catch another flight on the same day in the airport so they can arrange my bag not get send to the main terminal but to the connection terminal?

I am sorry for so much questions, and many thanks in advance.

Last edited by nicamsoft; Apr 23, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Since you have checked bags, you can't use the connections bus. You have to clear UK immigration at your arrival terminal, pick up the bags, and get to T2 where the AC flight departs. UK Border Force may ask for proof of onward travel so have a confirmation of your AC flight handy. Once you get to T2 you have to proceed through security.

Your BA flight will arrive at either T3 or T5 which will make a big difference because you can walk to T2 landside from T3 landside but from T5 you have to take the Tube or Heathrow Express (no charge for either but you need an Oyster card to use the Tube). Check the arrival terminal a few days ahead of the flight as it can change.

Sadly, BA will not check bags through onto AC flights on separate reservations, but you can always ask.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Since you have checked bags, you can't use the connections bus. You have to clear UK immigration at your arrival terminal, pick up the bags, and get to T2 where the AC flight departs. UK Border Force may ask for proof of onward travel so have a confirmation of your AC flight handy. Once you get to T2 you have to proceed through security.

Your BA flight will arrive at either T3 or T5 which will make a big difference because you can walk to T2 landside from T3 landside but from T5 you have to take the Tube or Heathrow Express (no charge for either but you need an Oyster card to use the Tube). Check the arrival terminal a few days ahead of the flight as it can change.

Sadly, BA will not check bags through onto AC flights on separate reservations, but you can always ask.

Thanks for the quick reply, according to the airline, I will be arriving at LHR in Terminal 2. Do you know much time I shall spare for myself to walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:21 pm

I would call it 10 minutes between T3 and T2 at an average walking speed, perhaps a bit more if you are rolling some luggage with you. The total time gate-to-gate including clearing immigration and going back through security is probably more like 45-60 minutes.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I would call it 10 minutes between T3 and T2 at an average walking speed, perhaps a bit more if you are rolling some luggage with you. The total time gate-to-gate including clearing immigration and going back through security is probably more like 45-60 minutes.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like I shall have enough time for my connection. As long as there is no delay of my inbound flight. = )

Last edited by nicamsoft; Apr 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Check BA website will tell you which terminal various flight numbers arrive at.

not sure how much time between your flights but give yourself at least two hours, on occasion terminal five border control can be quite Lengthy if you don't have EU UK passport to use the automated process.

Good news though is that the airlines and Heathrow airport have a service level agreement on pre-board security screening, so this process is 10 to 15 minutes generally

finally, on occasion depending on when you're travelling, the Heathrow express service between T5 & T2 goes to 30 minutes because of track maintenance, so check their website for the frequency, otherwise every 15 minutes

and of course in T2, hefty walk in the tunnel to the satellite gates

and I agree with previous post, T3 to T2 connection within an hour is reasonable
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Check BA website will tell you which terminal various flight numbers arrive at.

not sure how much time between your flights but give yourself at least two hours, on occasion terminal five border control can be quite Lengthy if you don't have EU UK passport to use the automated process.

Good news though is that the airlines and Heathrow airport have a service level agreement on pre-board security screening, so this process is 10 to 15 minutes generally

finally, on occasion depending on when you're travelling, the Heathrow express service between T5 & T2 goes to 30 minutes because of track maintenance, so check their website for the frequency, otherwise every 15 minutes

and of course in T2, hefty walk in the tunnel to the satellite gates

Thanks for the information, this is very helpful too! ^^
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nicamsoft
Thanks for the information, this is very helpful too! ^^
generally flights from Europe have a huge buffer for arrivals delay / slot restrictions at Heathrow - not unusual to actually arrive earlier than sched but don't sweat too much if you have a short outbound delay out of Barcelona or start circling overhead Heathrow, Airlines Here really try to build sufficient buffers, because it would otherwise have major impacts on their outbound slots. Although, if you've been following recent posts, IROPPS always possible, and especially at LHR that runs at 99.5% capacity.

Good luck with the vagaries of air travel and have a great trip
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skybluesea
generally flights from Europe have a huge buffer for arrivals delay / slot restrictions at Heathrow - not unusual to actually arrive earlier than sched but don't sweat too much if you have a short outbound delay out of Barcelona or start circling overhead Heathrow, Airlines Here really try to build sufficient buffers, because it would otherwise have major impacts on their outbound slots. Although, if you've been following recent posts, IROPPS always possible, and especially at LHR that runs at 99.5% capacity.

Good luck with the vagaries of air travel and have a great trip
So I have technically 2.5 hours, sound enough right?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If all runs properly you should even have time for a lounge stop it you have access.

Originally Posted by nicamsoft
So I have technically 2.5 hours, sound enough right?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
If all runs properly you should even have time for a lounge stop it you have access.
agree, T2 have some fine restaurants and even Ted Baker if you're into some modern fashion
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: down to Zone 5
Technically yes. But hopefully you will have a better experience than us.

In early Jan we had 1 hr 50 min connection for TAP & AC from LIS->LHR->YVR.

1. The TAP flight was delayed by over 1 hr, so even though *A are at T2, we barely had enough time to run between concourse B & A.
2. We had to act like morons and cut infront of security and apologized to everyone in line that our connection arrived late and our next flight was already boarding, which it was.
3. We didn't get our stamp for VAT refunds.
4. We didn't get to use the AC MLL.
5. My wife was not happy about it.
6. I get laughed at on FT after this post.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by sulfur

1. The TAP flight was delayed by over 1 hr, so even though *A are at T2, we barely had enough time to run between concourse B & A.
2. We had to act like morons and cut infront of security and apologized to everyone in line that our connection arrived late and our next flight was already boarding, which it was.
I don't see why anyone would laugh, it is not an uncommon LHR connection experience. It's a huge airport so there is a lot of room for things to go pear shaped. At least if one misses the AC YVR flight they can route via YYZ or YUL and not have to spend the night at Heathrow.

Last edited by eigenvector; Apr 24, 2017 at 9:45 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
On a single ticket, sure.

On separate tickets, I would strongly argue that this would be very bad idea. If your first flight gets delayed, you are in big trouble given that the first leg is on BA, given that they won't check through on separate tickets.

Even with luggage checked through I would provide myself at least three hours on separate tickets, and more if reasonably doable.

Incidentally the only reason I would plan using separate tickets would be because using an AC pass. And if the first leg were not BA or their alliance, they would likely check through.

Surely if two tickets are cheaper it musyt be a mrginal amount. Especially given that taxes/surcharges if deprting from the UK are larger than if just connecting.

OP should get himself a single ticket. Also from BCN I would avoid LHR and go through FRA all on star alliance.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sulfur

But at least if you would have missed your flight, assuming this was a single ticket, they would just have rebooked you on the next available itinerary.

While the OP on separate tickets would get in trouble. Be dealt with as having missed his flight by his own fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.