Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it fair that the lowest fare/no status pax is at the top of the IDB list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it fair that the lowest fare/no status pax is at the top of the IDB list?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
All the current IDB/VDB discussions have me wondering.
The lowest fare/no status pax is at the top of the IDB list.

Is that really fair?
It's entirely fair. If I've paid full fair the discount flyer should damn well be punted off before me. If I'm flying Tango I knew the risks when I booked the ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
All the current IDB/VDB discussions have me wondering.
The lowest fare/no status pax is at the top of the IDB list.

Is that really fair?
Yes. In my opinion.

I still hold as with others that VDB auctions are the way to go though. Starting st price of a long range economy ticket perhaps.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:53 am

In the US about 50,000 passengers are IDB/yr.
About .01% of total passengers.
VDB would be significantly higher.

UA implied the meds for sex dr. was selected randomly.
IDB isn't random. If it was status and J fare pax would be selected for IDB.
Most here would agree that status and maybe fare play a role.
I wonder if having checked baggage would have a role in reducing IDB odds.

I've been told I couldn't VDB because I've had checked baggage.
I've also been told I couldn't VDB because I was SE.

GTE isn't all bad. Recently had family members who got boarding passes with GTE. Y was oversold, the flight wasn't and they ended up in J. No status.

An article about who Dr. Dao was bumped by.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tracon
GTE isn't all bad. Recently had family members who got boarding passes with GTE. Y was oversold, the flight wasn't and they ended up in J. No status.
Got to be more to the story than that. (possibly an exceptionally lazy GA). Did your family member buy a ticket literally in the last few hours, and thus have to pay the last minute rate?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Got to be more to the story than that. (possibly an exceptionally lazy GA). Did your family member buy a ticket literally in the last few hours, and thus have to pay the last minute rate?
My money's on "exceptionally lazy".

This is not the first time I've heard of (or even experienced) something like that.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The only thing left to add.
It was a leisure route operated to RV. To a destination were 99%+ of the passengers would be on an all inclusive package.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My money's on "exceptionally lazy".

This is not the first time I've heard of (or even experienced) something like that.
To be fair, sometimes what you perceive as laziness may well be pressure on time.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
To be fair, sometimes what you perceive as laziness may well be pressure on time.
Okay, I can rephrase it as "taking the expedient solution instead of the correct one".

Whether that's due to the GA or "the system" doesn't really matter to me. I just expect things to work as advertised.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:52 pm

I agree

I have no status and hate to say it but if they have to bump someone, if I am in Y I should probably be one of the first picked.

I agree with Cow, probably expediency or laziness and it should be done correctly ..... (I bet the GA regrets it now .....)

Cheers,
COF
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC 75k, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platnium
People who pay top fares do so so that they have the latitude to change/cancel at the last minute - demonstrating some flexibility.

Those who pay the lowest fares are committing to a specific time and date
without the chance to change.
Both groups care about getting on the plane, but likely for different reasons. Those that book far out, as you've said, have some locked-in reason for traveling. Those that pay top dollar likely have a last minute event that also requires that they travel. If you've already asked for volunteers, you've eliminated those who would see whatever compensation that's offered as fair - basically you're at the point where you only have people who are going to be cranky about not getting on the plane.

Is it that "unfair" of the airline to then to board those that they know make them the most money?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Customers benefit from lower base fares as a result. Take away IDB and Tango fares will go up what, 5%? 10%? I don't know, but they'll be higher.
So? Let Air Canada raise fares 10-15%.

Air Canada would make more money and both passengers and AC woyld have fewer problems.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Sorry folks, but OP provides NO EVIDENCE of the question presented.

And the lack of challenge, and gullibility of many posts that assumes such - wow

I won't repeat details of IDB for spouse and I - you can find details in my Thread from September 2015.

So, when SEMM booked in PE out of Dublin is bumped right off the flight - not just to the rear, and having arrived at check-in prior to the 2 hour deadline to learn that AC dispatched smaller a/c, my only question is what was fair compensation.

Stop whining about VDB/IDB, plenty of other airlines if YOU don't like AC IDB policy. And good news is if enough of you leave, then need for denied boarding will disappear as flights will have much lower loads.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:46 am
Original Member

It's probably a moot point now, as Delta has virtually eliminated IDB in the North American marketplace.

It might take a while but I think IDB will soon only be a legend that you reminisce about to your grandchildren.
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So? Let Air Canada raise fares 10-15%.

Air Canada would make more money and both passengers and AC woyld have fewer problems.
Not likely. If an LHR-YYZ is 10 to 15 percent cheaper on BA then AC will lose passengers and money.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Not likely. If an LHR-YYZ is 10 to 15 percent cheaper on BA then AC will lose passengers and money.
Ah, so then the real problem is that unless Air Canada bumps low paying customers they'll lose market share, and it's not actually cheap customers after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.