Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First trip planning attempt YVR-FRA-DXB-MLE-YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

I've been "lurking" for a couple of weeks - first post. I'm really getting into this at the wrong time, I need a week to study @:-) for an exam, but oh well LOL.

Can you let me know if I'm on the right runway? Planning for 1nt FRA/ 3 nts DXB/ 7-8nts MLE in early 2019, want to have a plan!

YVR-FRA-DXB-MLE-YVR (with segments between).

Under MPM for YVR-MLE. 300k AP, $901YQ, almost entirely J for wifey and I.

Good idea? ^
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT.

With some routing changes, you could probably avoid most or all of the YQ.

But it sounds fun
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by 604flyer
I've been "lurking" for a couple of weeks - first post. I'm really getting into this at the wrong time, I need a week to study @:-) for an exam, but oh well LOL.

Can you let me know if I'm on the right runway? Planning for 1nt FRA/ 3 nts DXB/ 7-8nts MLE in early 2019, want to have a plan!

YVR-FRA-DXB-MLE-YVR (with segments between).

Under MPM for YVR-MLE. 300k AP, $901YQ, almost entirely J for wifey and I.

Good idea? ^
Do you mean early 2018?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Who flies DXB-MLE for Star?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Probably TK via IST.

Welcome to FT 604flyer.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
In my experience if you are looking for J class reward seats to MLE on TK you need to grab them at 359 days out or you are SOL. And they only release 2.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Could also do DXB-SIN-MLE on SQ. It's a little over an hour less flying time than via IST on TK.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, welcome to FT!

Do you know how close you are to the MPM? As cow said, you may be able to save some YQ, although many of those options will require adding mileage.

But also be cognizant that reward seats don't stay on the market forever and that your time may be valuable, so if you like the itinerary and you're okay with paying the YQ, you may want to lock it down now.

If you do find a mostly YQ-free option later, you can always pay the change fee and get a refund of the taxes (although the new change fees may offset much of the savings).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by karlpenney
Could also do DXB-SIN-MLE on SQ. It's a little over an hour less flying time than via IST on TK.
Problem there is the DXB-SIN leg would most likely be in Y.

The DXB stop makes things difficult.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
AI via India could also work
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by w000t
AI via India could also work
AI is probably the worst airline in *A, extremely filthy planes overall.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Do you mean early 2018?
I mean 2019 lol... using the 2018 dates as a guide to see what's possible. When flying for 2, and convincing a wifey it's worth our limited vacation days, ya can't just have your ducks in a row, they gotta be straight as an arrow lol!

Originally Posted by ridefar
In my experience if you are looking for J class reward seats to MLE on TK you need to grab them at 359 days out or you are SOL. And they only release 2.
That's kind of what I'm noticing! I'm 'ok' with Y for the last short leg to MLE though.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to FT!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
OP, welcome to FT!

Do you know how close you are to the MPM? As cow said, you may be able to save some YQ, although many of those options will require adding mileage.

But also be cognizant that reward seats don't stay on the market forever and that your time may be valuable, so if you like the itinerary and you're okay with paying the YQ, you may want to lock it down now.

If you do find a mostly YQ-free option later, you can always pay the change fee and get a refund of the taxes (although the new change fees may offset much of the savings).
I'm about 3k under the MPM as is. So I'll play around more! That is a great idea - thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Problem there is the DXB-SIN leg would most likely be in Y.

The DXB stop makes things difficult.
This is probably our only shot at DXB with kids on the horizon. I'm willing to sacrifice something to make it there. I've also seen DXB-COK-TRV-MLE with the last leg in Y.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 604flyer
I mean 2019 lol... using the 2018 dates as a guide to see what's possible. When flying for 2, and convincing a wifey it's worth our limited vacation days, ya can't just have your ducks in a row, they gotta be straight as an arrow lol!

That's kind of what I'm noticing! I'm 'ok' with Y for the last short leg to MLE though.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to FT!
If you are looking at IST-MLE it isn't that short (or your definition is different than mine). IIRC it was about 8 hours. Good for getting some sleep on, since it departs at 23:30 or something like that, but not really short. Anyways, the Maldives are wonderful so go for it. Another option as others have pointed out would be fly to MLE from India or Sri Lanka. We came from CMB and that was a short and easy flight (and pretty cheap on UL).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by fly747first
AI is probably the worst airline in *A, extremely filthy planes overall.
Not true. (I fly AI a lot).

Their 787's are typically great in J! like really great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.