Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
YYZ Connection questions

Looking for a current recommendation on this. Both flights are AC:

YWG/YYZ - Arrive YYZ 1600
YYZ/LGA - Depart YYZ 1930

No checked bags. *G. Global Entry.

Questions:
  • Any difference in the domestic MLL vs. the transborder one... so where to spend the bulk of the time?
  • There are some threads about exiting to landside and coming back in to the US area from there, rather than using the connection area. Any measurable difference? Reports were that there was no expedited security line in the connection area.

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Ted

Questions:
  • Any difference in the domestic MLL vs. the transborder one... so where to spend the bulk of the time?
  • There are some threads about exiting to landside and coming back in to the US area from there, rather than using the connection area. Any measurable difference? Reports were that there was no expedited security line in the connection area.

Thanks.
Personally, I would clear customs and head to the trans-border MLL. The lounges are both the same in my opinion so why delay going through customs. It is free standby to LGA so you might even be able to catch an earlier flight.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Ted

Questions:

Thanks.
I am a fan of exiting to landslide and going back (pretend you are not a transiting pax). It may be 2 minutes faster, and it is definitely more convenient if you have Nexus/GE as you don't have to remove liquids and shoes. If the airport is really busy it can be 5-10 minutes faster, as there is no longer a priority lane for transiting pax.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Historically, the domestic lounge was always better for food, though I'm not sure this is true any more.

That said, unless your goal is free crap food, I'd just go to transborder so that you don't have the overhead of visiting two lounges.

I suspect you could make it there by 1630 if you're slow, and then ask to be put on standby for the next flight. While you wait, enjoy a drink.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If you have Priority Pass or AmexPlatiunum you can use the Plaza Premium lounge in the transborder area. It offers a hot food option. But otherwise agree you should do PreClearance as soon as you arrive at YYZ. With security before immigration now, not sure how the direct Domestic-Transborder transit track works and if it would be faster than the YYZ originating facility.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Domestic generally has better food, much larger (with a much nicer business centre), better dragons for assistance and better views of the tarmac. Both have showers although I find YYZ dom to be little nicer with their free shower amenities and plusher towels..

However, since you're *G, you will technically not have arrival lounge access at YYZ dom, and therefore should just go to YYZ TB. Booze is both the same.

For cnx you are supposed to use the proper connecting corridor (not sure where that is post construction), you can ask the yellow smocks for help.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kwflyer
However, since you're *G, you will technically not have arrival lounge access at YYZ dom, and therefore should just go to YYZ TB. Booze is both the same.
He's a departing passenger
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:46 pm
Ted
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
So just a quick report back.

Inbound was ~2 hrs late so took away the long connection. Still 1.5 hrs however.

Went via transit route. No traffic. 1-2 people in front of me for security. No lines for immigration kiosks (either type). Next time would probably try the outside route to hopefully avoid the six or so "show your boarding pass" checks at every intersecting corridor along the way from D.

No priority or Nexus/GE lines at security, after that was able to use GE kiosk and go directly to common exit in to the US departure area. Left with 30 minutes in the MLL and then down to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.