Search

Air Canada Hidden-City Penalty

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa
Exclamation Air Canada Hidden-City Penalty

Hi,
I'm a new member, but I have been reading discussions on FT for a long time. I wasn't able to find an answer to my question anywhere.
If I commit the despicable sin of exiting my itinerary mid-trip (Heathrow in this case) and ask Air Canada to fetch my bag, how much will they charge me? The ticket was booked through an agency as a Lufthansa codeshare I believe.
Thanks,

Samuel
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
All the rest of your flights will be cancelled. Period.

You may not get your luggage back for some time if it continues your trip without you. If you do this mid-trip, you'll lose your return flights.

You can only really skip the last flight on your itinerary and then with carry on bags only.

Safe travels.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You can only really skip the last flight on your itinerary and then with carry on bags only.
Not if you have to pick up your bags anyway, e.g. passing through customs somewhere where bags have to be picked up and dropped back off, or if you get AC to short check. I'm guessing LHR T2 might be a difficult place to short check, especially if the layover is not long.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm aware of the consequences to the rest of the legs - this will be before the last leg of the itinerary. I don't think AC will short check as the layover is less than two hours (it was more at the time of the booking, but they changed the times of the last flight).

My question was specifically about a fee that I've read about that airlines charge if you come up to them and straight-up ask for your luggage at a layover airport.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by uncle_sam01
I'm aware of the consequences to the rest of the legs - this will be before the last leg of the itinerary. I don't think AC will short check as the layover is less than two hours (it was more at the time of the booking, but they changed the times of the last flight).

My question was specifically about a fee that I've read about that airlines charge if you come up to them and straight-up ask for your luggage at a layover airport.
Seriously.. just tell them you have your personal sex toys you need in LHR. Short check it. Don't say "short check"

Just say I want my bags in LHR. Do it.

Or honestly make them courier it to wherever you happen to be. Your butt hurt. You didn't want to fly anymore. Your tooth hurt.. whatever. They have NO recourse.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

I will attempt to do it(short-checking), but I'm also trying to prepare for a worst-case scenario.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I'm also trying to prepare for a worst-case scenario.
You may have invited such scenario by making your intentions public and visible to the airline. Bonne chance.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

I believe the post is vague enough, but I think they have other things to do than stalk passengers.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:28 pm

I will attempt to do it(short-checking), but I'm also trying to prepare for a worst-case scenario.
So did you see that thread "bag missing for a month, AC still looking"?...
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Seriously what is with this pussy footing... Tell them to.make bag show up in LHR. Done.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
worst case is when they bill your method of payment for the point-to-point flight ending in LHR.

shhh just pretend you got off in LHR and got locked in a men's room stall and missed your onward flight
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
worst case is when they bill your method of payment for the point-to-point flight ending in LHR.

shhh just pretend you got off in LHR and got locked in a men's room stall and missed your onward flight
Or had sudden onset of explosive diarrhea.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

Wide stance?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
What is the actual ticketed itin?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Since you booked through an agency, technically they can charge them back. In practice I think it is unlikely. In general AC is not very aggrieved in pursuing. If you want to reduce the chances of consequence further don't credit to Aeroplan. If they think you're doing this serially technically they could kick you out of Aeroplan or suspend your status; however, chances of this are very very low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.