Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: "Bag missing a month, Air Canada still looking"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: "Bag missing a month, Air Canada still looking"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
IMO this is news not because AC lost his bag but because AC has not paid out after 21 days as stipulated in the Montreal Convention. It seems that AC likes bad publicity since most of the garbage we hear about AC is dealt with quickly once it hits the news. What is wrong with AC????
Since the Montreal Convention was called into play, I thought it would be helpful to actually quote the convention. The particular clause at hand is Article 17 paragraph 3 which reads:
Originally Posted by Article 17, para 3
3 If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...26/page-7.html

At 21 days the passenger can submit a lost bag claim form and request payment for the lost bag. Alternately if the airline agrees the bag is lost at an early date than 21 days, the compensation process can be started by the passenger earlier than 21 days.

However at no time does the Montreal convention stipulate that the airline must immediately payout the claim. Rather the airline must accept the lost claim and begin the lost bag compensation/redress process. This means the compensation process starts at 21 days, not conclude on 21 days.

Based on the above, it is not appropriate to say that AC is not applying the Montreal Convention simply because they have not compensated the passenger by end of business on day 21.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As for ORD, as long as it was tagged properly then he should have dropped it off at the UA bag re-check. You don't have to lug it over to AC and give it to them. UA will hand it off (absent a screw up like this) to AC. How do you think they do it when you fly a UA domestic and connect to an AC flight?
Under the rules applicable to ORD, only UA and AA onward connection bags can be processed at T5, all other airline onward connections must have the bags transported by the pax to the other airline.

For UA instancel pax connecting international inbound to T5 and onward to through AC, LH, or NH must bring their bags to either T1 or T2.

I believe the same goes for AA inbound pax connecting onward to JL NRT flight, which leaves from T3k.

Now in all fairness to the UA agents at the bag belt, if they see a UA cardstock BP and a UA bag tag, on cursory glance the situation looks legit. So place it on the belt and send the pax on their way. UA also flies to YYZ, so its not out of the question for the connection to be thought of as solely within UA.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Under the rules applicable to ORD, only UA and AA onward connection bags can be processed at T5, all other airline onward connections must have the bags transported by the pax to the other airline.

For UA instancel pax connecting international inbound to T5 and onward to through AC, LH, or NH must bring their bags to either T1 or T2.

I believe the same goes for AA inbound pax connecting onward to JL NRT flight, which leaves from T3k.

Now in all fairness to the UA agents at the bag belt, if they see a UA cardstock BP and a UA bag tag, on cursory glance the situation looks legit. So place it on the belt and send the pax on their way. UA also flies to YYZ, so its not out of the question for the connection to be thought of as solely within UA.
I've had no issue doing so. AFAIK It's not eligible for ITI, but no issue dropping a labeled bag at re-check when inbound from UA international to AC Trans border. Since AC departs same area as and I believe is handled by UA, there's no difference in getting the bag to a UA or AC flight.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Since the Montreal Convention was called into play, I thought it would be helpful to actually quote the convention. The particular clause at hand is Article 17 paragraph 3 which reads:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...26/page-7.html

At 21 days the passenger can submit a lost bag claim form and request payment for the lost bag. Alternately if the airline agrees the bag is lost at an early date than 21 days, the compensation process can be started by the passenger earlier than 21 days.

However at no time does the Montreal convention stipulate that the airline must immediately payout the claim. Rather the airline must accept the lost claim and begin the lost bag compensation/redress process. This means the compensation process starts at 21 days, not conclude on 21 days.

Based on the above, it is not appropriate to say that AC is not applying the Montreal Convention simply because they have not compensated the passenger by end of business on day 21.
The bag has been lost for a month. The passenger has filed a lost baggage notice and talked with AC agents. An agent said it is too early to discuss compensation. After 21 days, clearly it is not. Of course no one would expect AC to advise the passenger of his rights and explain to him how things work, especially a foreigner who's first language is probably not English. That is just not AC's way. I am sure after being advised by a passenger advocate the proper paper work will be filed and AC will pay and pay again for the bad publicity.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
With the technology now available, AC should now be able to walk up to a missing bag instantaneously. Stop blaming the victim. They lose my bag every February four years running. The reason is different each time. The result for me is the same.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by flyquiet

I suppose it is good business sense - you do what you HAVE to do, but don't go out of your way to do it.
I disagree. Good leadership is all about doing the right things, not doing things right or what one can get away with.

Its clear if AC can't communicate their responsibilities (under law), however inconvenient, that regulation is needed.

The story here isn't about what the customer should (or shouldn't) have packed (thats just effective pile on fodder to drive/fly his thesis home), its that AC didn't care to do anything until :

a) after 21 days to which AC should have asked for the value of the lost baggage and provided prompt payment

b) after going to the media (priming everyone else to do the same)

Last edited by kwflyer; Feb 20, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
So let's review: A passenger lost his bag. The airline, instead of acting according to its obligations under international conventions and its own tariffs, tried to duck, obfuscate and outright lie about its responsibility.

The passenger went online for recourse. At which point, instead of helping him, people here took it upon themselves to: Call him names, accuse him of stupidity, defend the airline, call him attention-seeking for going to the media, and disparage anyone who was trying to help him exercise his rights.

Does that about cover it?

I don't care whether he should or shouldn't have packed certain things in his checked luggage. That's not at issue here. Whatever he packed in his checked bag, he had the right to get it back upon arrival. Since he didn't get it back, he had the right to seek compensation from the airline.

This isn't a one-time issue with AC. AC routinely tries to duck its responsibilities here. If it didn't, people wouldn't have to go to the media or take them to court. They could simply file a claim, get reimbursed, end of story.

The Canadian Transportation Agency has the power to compel AC to follow the rules, or to impose punitive damages for trying to get out of it. It doesn't do its job.

Is it any wonder people go to the media or to court? They're not asking for anything other than that which they are entitled to by law.

The airline apologists on here frankly baffle me.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: air miles
In a world where I can track my fedex package from pick up to processing to transit to "out for delivery" to delivery. I am amazed that we cannot do the same with luggage. The bag tag is a unique identifier that, presumably, is scanned at multiple points along it's journey.

I'm not saying everyone should have a luggage tracking tool (as you would with fedex above) but when things do go wrong at least being able to track the bag to it's last point before disappearing can give some comfort to the passenger, as well as being able to focus their search.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by segacs

The airline apologists on here frankly baffle me.

Well, to be fair, some of them did go crying to the G&M after their horrendous experience of travelling in Y overseas, vowing to never fly Y again.

Yet, they still expect others to put up with it (modern day travel hassles), and fundamentally attributing any service failure to the individual, for not travelling like them.

No word if that was OPM though.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
In a world where I can track my fedex package from pick up to processing to transit to "out for delivery" to delivery. I am amazed that we cannot do the same with luggage. The bag tag is a unique identifier that, presumably, is scanned at multiple points along it's journey.

I'm not saying everyone should have a luggage tracking tool (as you would with fedex above) but when things do go wrong at least being able to track the bag to it's last point before disappearing can give some comfort to the passenger, as well as being able to focus their search.
Well.......

QUOTE from ABC News Nov 2016

"On Tuesday, Delta Airlines will become the first major airline to allow fliers to track their checked bags with a smartphone app.

The airline hopes the new system will ease the stress of flying with checked baggage for its passengers -- and reduce its percentage of lost, unclaimed items.

"We mishandle less than two bags for every 1,000," said Bill Lentsch, senior vice president of airport customer service and airline operations.

"This technology here is going to drop that number by 10 to 20 percent," he said. "It's already starting to lower our mishandled baggage rate."

Retailers and shippers have used similar systems for years, but Delta will be the first to provide customers with the option to stay informed about the whereabouts of their bags through an app with push notifications.

"We believe this is a game-changer and we believe this will drive the industry into the next level of performance," Lentsch said."........

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/delta-a...ry?id=43529976

And this one from Engadget Oct 2016

"Delta's RFID luggage tracking system now includes a map view"

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/25/...stem-map-view/

just saying.....
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by 24left
"On Tuesday, Delta Airlines will become the first major airline to allow fliers to track their checked bags with a smartphone app.
This is awesome!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I disagree. Good leadership is all about doing the right things, not doing things right or what one can get away with.

Its clear if AC can't communicate their responsibilities (under law), however inconvenient, that regulation is needed.

The story here isn't about what the customer should (or shouldn't) have packed (thats just effective pile on fodder to drive/fly his thesis home), its that AC didn't care to do anything until :

a) after 21 days to which AC should have asked for the value of the lost baggage and provided prompt payment

b) after going to the media (priming everyone else to do the same)
I agree with you. I should have put "business" in cynical quote marks.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
There is also the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law.

Sometimes doing the right thing is beyond being just, but being morally correct as well.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
There is also the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law.

Sometimes doing the right thing is beyond being just, but being morally correct as well.
In this case, it seems like they're liable under both the letter and the spirit of the law. The passenger doesn't seem to be asking for goodwill; he's asking for what he's entitled to by law.

I agree with your statement in general, but I don't really see how it applies to this specific case.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by segacs
This is awesome!
YES!

All announced last October (2016)

The articles I linked were two of more than a dozen from mainstream media, business media (Forbes, Fortune...) and sources like The Verge, MacRumors, The Next Web...each with their own focus based on their target audience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.