Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC - Lost iPad strategies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

AC - Lost iPad strategies

MrsITAG freaked this morning when she thought she left her iPad on a DFW-YYZ flight.... in minutes though, FindMyPhone showed it was in the house and she had simply misplaced it.

Crisis averted.

But this got me wondering -- has anyone ever lost a device and located it with FindMyPhone, and seen it positioned at a particular airport/Air Canada location? Any experience in navigating the customer service/luggage mess that is AC to retrieve it?

I will note I'm SE and MrsITAG is 75k, so maybe a Concierge might be the best starting point, but presuming we face this challenge one day, it would be helpful to know strategies in advance.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
No brainer. If you are SE work with the concierge. They are amazing at this.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
No brainer. If you are SE work with the concierge. They are amazing at this.
+1. I lost my mobile device onboard a flight and within an hour of reporting to the Concierge desk they've located it.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My phone dropped out of my briefcase in the YWG MLL. On arrival at my destination, I received a message notifying me and offering to send it to me. Later that day, I had my phone. Great service.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:44 am
alc

an AC*E report getting the iPad return back in 2011:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...lost-ipad.html
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one has the location, this is easy. Where this becomes difficult is if you have lost connectivity for any reason. In that situation, the item is anywhere from the aircraft seat pocket to some other passenger's briefcase pocket.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
I left my iPad in the pocket of row 1 of a YYZ-DFW flight a few years ago. Called when I got to the hotel in Dallas, "No problem Mr. RatherBeInYOW, the Air Canada airport staff will have it when you go back to the airport for your return flight".

When I went back to DFW for my return flight they had no idea and I never saw it again.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I left an Ipod touch on a YHZ-YYT flight in Dec 2010. Didn't realise until after Christmas when I got a message from an Air Canada stewardess who had found it, kept it - because she said if she handed it in it would go missing - and eventually mailed it back to me from Montreal.

Few years later I left a tablet on a UA flight in EWR. Lounge staff couldn't have been more helpful in trying to track it down & determined it was on it's way to SFO while I was flying on to YYT. Later that night (early hours of the next morning actually) I got a phone call from UA at SFO offering to send it back to me if I gave them my credit card details to cover courier fees. Duly did so and UPS delivered it back a few days later.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:56 pm

I got an email from SQ asking if I left anything on a flight... I of course left my tablet. So I replied back with the make/model/description of the case.

They said swing by missing luggage at Changi to pick it up.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Often1
If one has the location, this is easy. Where this becomes difficult is if you have lost connectivity for any reason. In that situation, the item is anywhere from the aircraft seat pocket to some other passenger's briefcase pocket.
This is how I'm out a Macbook. Passenger grabbed it as GA went on to retrieve it as soon as I deplaned.

It showed up once on Find My iPhone and then was never seen again.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
This is how I'm out a Macbook. Passenger grabbed it as GA went on to retrieve it as soon as I deplaned.

It showed up once on Find My iPhone and then was never seen again.
there are cameras all over the terminals, they can, and should, track this down...

Edit: they being the police
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. This is helpful.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Left my iPad mini on a DL flight from ATL to YYZ a couple of years back. Didn't realize I'd left it in the seat back pocket until I got home. Used the "find my" device and it homed in on T3. However it was late evening and I couldn't contact anyone at either DL or the GTAA lost and found. However, next morning I found a message from a DL agent in ATL saying someone had turned it in to him from the turnaround of the flight. (I had my name engraved on the back when I bought it online, so he ran the manifest for the ATL-YYZ segment, found a name match, and got my contact details from the res PNR.

As I was headed to New Orleans the following week, I had him drop it off at DL's lost and found. Contacted them with address details of the hotel I'd be staying at, and paid the $15 to have it FedEx'd to me there. We were reunited and I've not "lost" the mini since then. (Nor any other similar device.)
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:25 pm

Left my iPad on an AA flight (MIA-YYZ) last spring, thanks to alcohol and me being focused on remembering a piece of art we had the FA store in the closet.
It wasn't till the following morning when I discovered i was missing.

I attempted to contact AA, but I was directed to online system which apparently didn't include YYZ. It took a few days to get a hold of someone at Pearson and eventually i was reunited with my iPad. Only to drop it 5 days later and completely destroy the screen.

I suppose I was destined to buy a new one.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I few years back I was on a flight YYZ-YVR and then driving up to Whistler. I called the conceriage. They found on IPad Mini in my business seat. They then courried it the home I was renting in Whistler and 2 days later I had it back safe and sound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.