Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What two cities to pair with Prague

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What two cities to pair with Prague

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by miltonguy
Thanks everyone. I hadn't even thought of Krakow.
If you are going from Prague to Krakow, I would suggest doing a detour to Wroclaw as the 3rd city.
Vienna & Bratislava (it is about 1hr bus ride between the two) is also a good combination, not sure how many nights you have, 2 in Bratislava is enough, for Vienna you will need more.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
It's for honeymoon in August, does that change suggestions? We're not really 'all inclusive' or beach people. That's partly why I am thinking European cities where we can relax, walk (we enjoy that) and do sightseeing (as opposed to more intensive itineraries).
We had actually done these in September. Slightly chilly then, but you should get good weather. This is what we did -

1) Flew into Prague (4-5 days is more than enough)
2) Took the train to Budapest (4-5 days should be enough)
3) Flew to Krakow (via Warsaw) and spent 4 days there.
4) Flew out to IAD back from KRK (via MUC)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:25 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Take The Train

Hey,

Looking to book an August Aeroplan trip to three cities in Europe. I want to go to Prague, that leaves two cities. What other two cities do you recommend pairing?

In terms of flights Istanbul and Vienna are really easy, but I've been there several times. Any suggestion, experts?
Bratislava and Budapest by Train. A welcoming break from all The Airport Hassles Plus the Fist Class Train fare is usually little more than a Taxi to and from the Airport.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
Budapest: Stay in city center, there's a lot of pedestrian street with good resto/shopping, cheaper than Prague/Vienne. Very easy to go around with tram/Big Bus tour.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:31 am

Also consider doing Mini-RTW since Europe 2 is also 75K vs. Asia 1 75K (both in Economy return).

We did PRG in 2016 mRTW in Y

YYZ-PRG on AC Rouge nonstop 767, not bad. Stop 1
PRG-ZRH-HKG on Swiss/LX 777, Destination
HKG-TPE, Stop 2
TPE-YYZ

Last edited by jerryhung; Feb 7, 2017 at 10:01 am Reason: thanks to alc pointing out PRG is Europe 2
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:34 am
alc

Admit that I haven't read all the respond yet, so apologies if others had made OP aware of this already.

OP - PRG will move the zone to Europe 2 (of whatever Aeroplan call it), same as BUD, so more miles required (75K in Y). What we did when we visit Eastern Europe a few years ago was fly to VIE as it is still in Europe 1 (60K in Y) and then rent a car and drive to PRG, BUD, and Bartislava.

So, something to consider.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, *Alliance Gold, Marriott Elite Silver
So we'll do Prague and Budapest, thanks for the recommendation. For the third place she really wants to do Venice (something about it being sooooo romantic). I know Venice is sort of out of the way (I'd have preferred Vienna, some place in Poland or even Berlin), but I think we'll have to do Venice.

So here's the plan, all in J :-

YYZ-IST-BUD (TK)
BUD-VIE-PRG (OS - yes some YQ)
PRG-ZRH-VCE (LX)
VCE-IST-YYZ (TK)

I don't know if it's an allowed itinerary. If it is not then we'll do train within Europe. I heard there are sleeper trains, I wouldn't mind that at night. Have never experienced it and will get to sleep in the train / save on hotel? Any ideas about that?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
Admit that I haven't read all the respond yet, so apologies if others had made OP aware of this already.

OP - PRG will move the zone to Europe 2 (of whatever Aeroplan call it), same as BUD, so more miles required (75K in Y). What we did when we visit Eastern Europe a few years ago was fly to VIE as it is still in Europe 1 (60K in Y) and then rent a car and drive to PRG, BUD, and Bartislava.

So, something to consider.
Oh, I did not know that. Also, did not think of car rental as an option. I'd be willing to splurge and rent a convertible :-).

That said, the difference is higher in Y. In J the difference is 5,000 miles, so 10,000 for both. That's okay.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Actually seems like the itinerary should be legal :-

Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:25 pm

OP
Best if you try it actually online/multi-city option, just one city at a time

I'm 99% sure it won't work, because your destination is NOT IST and your MPM isn't enough.
Your destination (furthest point away) is either BUD or VCE

The moment you choose YYZ-IST-BUD/VCE, most likely your return will be greyed out
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:46 pm

I did Venice in April, nice cool weather. I heard in the middle of the summer the canals can have a funky odour.... But she's the bride, so do what she says.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I did Venice in April, nice cool weather. I heard in the middle of the summer the canals can have a funky odour.... But she's the bride, so do what she says.
Not to mention a somewhat nasty smell...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I d definitely just open jaw between Budapest and Prague, the OS flights are gonna be more than a train, and probably take up as much time.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Maybe it's just me, but I found BUD rather unimpressive. Basically a smaller, dirtier and surprisingly more expensive version of PRG (which Ireally enjoyed and wouldn't hesitate returning to)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:43 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium

I'd like this to be a relaxing trip. City centres. Hopefully with some history.
Krakow or Istanbul

That said, the difference is higher in Y. In J the difference is 5,000 miles, so 10,000 for both. That's okay.

Unless you're rich on points intra-europe in J is not at all worth it; in Y most *a intra-europe will give you a very decent snack and full bar. Although admittedly OS and LO intra-eu J meal service is very nice.

I'd say car or train, surely you can find some cool relaxing towns to grab lunch in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.