Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Really Falling Behind Other NA Carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Really Falling Behind Other NA Carriers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by imverge
Good Lord, if you are going to post photos then post the actual UA Polaris product.
The photo I posted is representative of what you're most likely to get on a long-haul United flight in the next year or more.

I'm sure all three of the Polaris planes are very nice, what with United finally discovering basically the same pods AC have been flying for what, two years now, and several other carriers for years longer than that. When the Polaris rollout is finished in a couple of years, United and AC will finally have relatively comparable J seating, but for now, United's 2-4-2 nonsense should really be classed as very nice Premium Economy.

It's great that one of the United lounges in Chicago is nice now. Basically every other United Club in the world is still a total dump.

It's great that they got new blankets, and are working on passable food.

Overall, to me, this represents United finally getting up on one knee, after years lying face down in the mud.

If I were an AC exec trying to win over pax who have to choose between YOW-YYZ-PVG and YOW-ORD-PVG, or between SEA-SFO-HKG and SEA-YVR-HKG, I wouldn't be losing a ton of sleep over Cole Haan socks.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by imverge
United, American and Delta (on select transpacific routes)

Delta - TUMI with Kiehl's skincare products
American - Cole Hann

Delta offers Westin Hotel Heavenly bedding
United offers Saks Fifth Ave. custom bedding

Personally, I pay attention to the small things and amenity kits and other inflight amenities are a good way for airlines to co-brand with luxury brands.
You are the perfect customer branding people look for. Falling for the made up promo offerings.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jan 16, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC E75K
For those claiming that AC domestic J is superior to UA domestic F (which is really just J), when was the last time you flew UA?

IME, UA has meaningfully improved its catering, both on the ground and in the air, and I now prefer its domestic product to AC.

For international flights, UA's J catering is leaps and bounds ahead of AC. And while UA's hard product still lags behind (especially on the 8-across 777s), that will change with the new Polaris product.

So yes, AC should really take note.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: *$ Green
Honestly, although all these bed sheets and ... kissing perks seem good, I can't help to think that most of these things are completely useless to most of ACs high margin clients.

I feel like most frequent spenders will care more about peace and quite and getting from A to B as efficiently as possible, and not about getting a 33rd amenity kit to add to the closet...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by capedreamer
For those claiming that AC domestic J is superior to UA domestic F (which is really just J), when was the last time you flew UA?

IME, UA has meaningfully improved its catering, both on the ground and in the air, and I now prefer its domestic product to AC.

For international flights, UA's J catering is leaps and bounds ahead of AC. And while UA's hard product still lags behind (especially on the 8-across 777s), that will change with the new Polaris product.

So yes, AC should really take note.
Last Nov. UA short haul J is close to AC's. Any flight over 3 hours, UA has a long way to go compared to AC. Polaris is just a marketing term, for their new J, that are smaller than AC's currents wide body seats.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Last Nov. UA short haul J is close to AC's. Any flight over 3 hours, UA has a long way to go compared to AC. Polaris is just a marketing term, for their new J, that are smaller than AC's currents wide body seats.
What do you mean marketing terms?

It's not just J, bro, it's P.O.L.A.R.I.S.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Well, if one can actually sleep on their side without that stupid tray table on POLARIS then even if its a smaller I guess some might be okay with it?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:29 am

Any flight over 3 hours, UA has a long way to go compared to AC.
I'm curious what makes you think that?

My comparison of the two is largely based on transcons (SFO/YVR-YYZ/YUL vs. SFO-IAD/EWR), and I would say:

In-flight food: UA much better than AC
In-flight service: A draw
Seats: A draw
IFE: I rely on BYOD, and UA's in-flight wifi is more ubiquitous and more reliable
Lounge food: UA better than AC as UA has upped its game while AC has dramatically cut back its domestic/TB lounge offerings
Lounge decor: UA better than AC as new/revamped United Clubs are increasingly rolled out
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Honestly, although all these bed sheets and ... kissing perks seem good, I can't help to think that most of these things are completely useless to most of ACs high margin clients.

I feel like most frequent spenders will care more about peace and quite and getting from A to B as efficiently as possible, and not about getting a 33rd amenity kit to add to the closet...
Ah amenity kits, those half open things that are sitting on the floor in the J cabin after it arrives at its final destination.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:50 am

Btw, for those who haven't experience UA domestic J/F catering recently, here are some random examples plucked from the UA forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27636647-post915.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27539411-post866.html
www.flyertalk.com/forum/27761837-post34.html
www.flyertalk.com/forum/27734766-post9.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27559840-post879.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27580978-post893.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27558777-post878.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27556375-post877.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27524207-post859.html

Just from the pictures, it's obvious that in terms of quantity, variety, and presentation, these are better than what AC offers on comparable routes. And if you read the comments, they are generally quite positive. Compare that to the at-best mixed reviews that dominate this forum re: AC's J catering.

I firmly believe that the conventional "wisdom" that AC's domestic J is superior to UA's (or AA/DL's for that matter) is an outdated view.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I would just be happy if AC retired that Omelette

It is been exactly the same for almost 10 years, if not longer
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by capedreamer
I'm curious what makes you think that?
By flying both products multi X per year.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

The last amenity kit I even looked at was Eva's. Mostly because of the Rimowa case, which I still have. After my second one, I have not even opens a Eva kit since then. As Sparseflyer said, who needs 33 amenity kits. I think these kits have zero effect on Frequent international travellers.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Is 2017 the year of the refreshed amenity kit?

I was eating some pickles yesterday, after my 13th TATL in a year, and was staring at the Amenity kit that I for some reason took with me off the plane. Have done most long hauls with AC, but a few with Virgin and United each and one with Delta all in biz/first, I was struck by just how paltry the AC kit is in comparison.

When paying cash for a J fare, the flimsy socks and promotional lip balm/body cream get a little old. Don't get me started on the toothbrush that leaves bristles in your mouth.

United has basically put the kitchen sink in their kit. Decent toothbrush, hand cream (vs just moisturizer), comb!, a pen, etc. Virgin was all higher quality stuff except the toothbrush.

AC's kit just doesn't stand up but I am curious, what is really important in an amenity kit and what do you think AC might realistically do about the sad state of theirs in the coming year?

Last edited by eastcoastcan; Jan 17, 2017 at 4:06 am
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:04 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
I was eating some pickles yesterday after my 13th TATL in a year and was staring at the Amenity kit that I for some reason took with off the plane. Have done most long hauls with AC, but a few with Virgin and United and one with Delta all in biz/first, I was struck by just how paltry the AC kit is in comparison.

When paying cash for a J fare, the flimsy socks and promotional lip balm/body cream get a little old. Don't get me started on the toothbrush that leaves bristles in your mouth.

United has basically put the kitchen sink in their kit. Decent toothbrush, hand cream (vs just moisturizer), comb!, a pen, etc. Virgin was all higher quality stuff except the toothbrush.

AC's kit just doesn't stand up but I am curious, what is really important in an amenity kit and what do you think AC might realistically do about the sad state of theirs in the coming year?
AC has had the same exact kit since the launch of the Dreamliner in autumn 2014... While other carriers changed their amenity kits once or twice a year, i.e. United or CX for instance.

Of course, there are those who will always say "I don't care for the amenity kits", perhaps because they've seen the same amenity kits for the last 3 years now on AC...

Agreed with you, it's time for some improvements in this area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.