Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Low Segment, Low mileage, High spend = Super Elite Please??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low Segment, Low mileage, High spend = Super Elite Please??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In other words, they haven't really eliminated the "bottom feeding" SE, they've just required those people do MORE bottom feeding.

. . .

If they wanted to actually give out status only to profitable fliers, it would be a CPM requirement of 0.2 or CPS requirement of 210, rather than an AQD requirement of 20k.

. . . and I'm not sure AC would want to implement something that would incentive me to not fly
Well it certainly has required me to do MORE bottom feeding but actually flying less, spending only slightly more (yes AC it is working but perhaps not as much as you think) and earning a whack more AQMs (I know confusing)

Profitability is a hard thing to determine. When I am flying BOTH long hauls AND a lot of milk runs on Dash 8s to unserviced (ie. no MLL, no concierge presence) to YQU, YXE, YMM etc., with no J cabin so no upgrades, maybe I am MORE profitable just by the routes I fly and the lack of servicing costs for me on the milk runs and perhaps more net profit per mile on the long hauls vs the commuter routes which have J cabins. I reiterate that AQD is only a proxy for profitability but it is not a very good measure of absolute profitability. That would be way too complicated for AC's IT to implement

I am not sure they want to incentive me to not fly either since I think I am the very target they are trying to keep--willing to be loyal if given enough benefits but able to switch easily to other carriers (other than milk runs) for profitable long haul routes, relatively low maintenance (I don't ask for much and often don't get much, especially on those milk runs, other than priority for last minute early in the day standby).

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Dec 1, 2016 at 7:03 am
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by YOWgary
...does it still count as 'mansplaining' if the person I'm arguing with is another nerdy, over-30 white guy?
Yes. 'Cause it's funnier that way.

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Well, since you're not willing to explain how you feel the "initial" connotations of the term apply, isn't it a bit premature to skip ahead to the "other" ones?
Nope. If I'm extending it to a broader use, then its original use doesn't need to apply. Like how my co-worker can call my tweed jacket "professor drag" even if I'm not in gender-y drag.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I still think AC should try to identify pax who NOSHO and do not refund, leaving cash on the table and never clawing it back... I can think of many people who would fall into this category... (not sure if they fly AC much though) AQM is so pointless, no pun intended.

Edit: Ok, not a pun... ugh... whatever.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I still think AC should try to identify pax who NOSHO and do not refund, leaving cash on the table and never clawing it back... I can think of many people who would fall into this category... (not sure if they fly AC much though) AQM is so pointless, no pun intended.

Edit: Ok, not a pun... ugh... whatever.
Except, Altitude is a FF program and AC does have other programs for high spenders.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Except, Altitude is a FF program and AC does have other programs for high spenders.
You mean like revoking their status?

I'm not sure what you mean by "high spender", but I know a few people who spend more than it would take to earn UA*GS, and all they get are SE.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I would be interested in the definition of a high spender. Do you care to elaborate?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
I would be interested in the definition of a high spender. Do you care to elaborate?
Obviously more than you spend
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: U1K
You mean like revoking their status?

I'm not sure what you mean by "high spender", but I know a few people who spend more than it would take to earn UA*GS, and all they get are SE.
He means the RED VIP level at AC -- They hand it out in special allotments to people who have influence in spend (or buddies like Ben Mulroney).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: U1K
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Companies that sign Preferred Carrier agreements (2M Spend) get 2 of these. Usually goes to the CEO and the CFO cause they "influence" the spend.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:58 am
Suspended

Obviously more than you spend
I doubt that.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by yyzborg
I doubt that.
YEG2MM has spend X.
The high spend program has a requirement of Y.
YEG2MM does not qualify for this program.

You doubt that X < Y?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
FF programs essentially gamified compensation for spend loyalty. When FFs programs were created, the correlation of spend to BIS miles was much more linear, save for mistakes. Demand seems to be encouraging entry of lower cost options, leading to one of two responses: reduce the cost of the loyalty program, or reduce the value towards these loyalty programs from low cost options. But make no mistake about it, it has always been about money. Airlines could care less if you even fly the ticket, they care to make money. As a full supporter of capitalism, I believe the same.

Any business that operates otherwise deserves the bankruptcy it sows. Oh, wait... Right... AC... Well let's try to avoid that again yes?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just don't think we on this Board understand the correlations that go into decision making on status at AC. I am not even sure that AC fully knows them. I have two family examples that baffle me. (1) My son is not a big spender, yet he received a complimentary Elite status a couple of years ago. (2) A few weeks ago my daughter answered an "Is there a doctor on Board?" call. She treated a heart patient. As a reward, AC gifted her 20K AQM. She went on to book a 5K AQM run for P25K status only to later discover that she also have to have the requisite AQD. If there is a correlation between AQM and AQD, AC should have gifted her a complimentary AQD. Sure she can use the 20K for an AP reward but why give her AQM if she has to further pay to use it effectively?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lllahim
I just don't think we on this Board understand the correlations that go into decision making on status at AC. I am not even sure that AC fully knows them. I have two family examples that baffle me. (1) My son is not a big spender, yet he received a complimentary Elite status a couple of years ago. (2) A few weeks ago my daughter answered an "Is there a doctor on Board?" call. She treated a heart patient. As a reward, AC gifted her 20K AQM. She went on to book a 5K AQM run for P25K status only to later discover that she also have to have the requisite AQD. If there is a correlation between AQM and AQD, AC should have gifted her a complimentary AQD. Sure she can use the 20K for an AP reward but why give her AQM if she has to further pay to use it effectively?
If you're not already into status, 20k AQM is basically 20k Aeroplan miles, which isn't a small number. It's almost a NA round-trip.

If you are into status, then in the past, 20k AQM would have bumped you up a level or two, depending on where you were at. Now, it only helps the people who are spending more than the minimum. But it's still 20k Aeroplan miles.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
If you're not already into status, 20k AQM is basically 20k Aeroplan miles, which isn't a small number. It's almost a NA round-trip.
Yeah, at minimum they gifted her $400 for her help.

Hard to complain about this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.