Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

E75 to IAH permanent or only temporary while they re-fit the CRAs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

One of my normal routes is YYZ-IAH. I was happy to discover that it now operated by an E75 compared to the CRA. Is this permanent or only temporary while they re-fit the CRAs?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:05 pm

Jazz is closing its CRJ pilot base in YYZ, so I'd bet on it being long term. MSY,AUS, and YQY also going to E75s.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC 35k
The E75 is vastly superior to the CRAs. Where are the CRAs going?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:10 pm

West, mainly YYC/YVR
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by AC681
West, mainly YYC/YVR
As I sit here at the gate for a flight at YYZ to STL, does this mean the regular RJ's are also going west? Or are we stuck with these rust-buckets for a while.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
The E75 is vastly superior to the CRAs. Where are the CRAs going?
Why is that?

My one big complaint with the CRA is that there are no ovens, but that's changing.

My one small complaint is lavatory size in J, but the E75 isn't THAT much better.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
As I sit here at the gate for a flight at YYZ to STL, does this mean the regular RJ's are also going west? Or are we stuck with these rust-buckets for a while.
Air Georgian is remaining in YYZ who are operating many CRJ routes today.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 172pilot
One of my normal routes is YYZ-IAH. I was happy to discover that it now operated by an E75 compared to the CRA. Is this permanent or only temporary while they re-fit the CRAs?
Looks like IAH benefited from the 5 new E75s that were added to the Sky Regional fleet earlier this year.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why is that?

My one big complaint with the CRA is that there are no ovens, but that's changing.

My one small complaint is lavatory size in J, but the E75 isn't THAT much better.
I'm also in the camp that the E175 is far superior from a passenger perspective. Ovens, larger overhead bins, more comfortable seats, more spacious in general. The curvature of the plane is quite noticeable on the CRA if you're in a window seat, and many tall passengers can't stand up on the CRA. The E175 feels more like a normal narrowbody jet (737/320), while on the CRA, you definitely feel like you're on an RJ.

The CRA is fine on 1-2 hour flights, but is painful on 4 hour flights like YYC-IAH, which is >1700 miles.

I wish they'd move some E175's out west.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gcashin
I'm also in the camp that the E175 is far superior from a passenger perspective. Ovens, larger overhead bins, more comfortable seats, more spacious in general. The curvature of the plane is quite noticeable on the CRA if you're in a window seat, and many tall passengers can't stand up on the CRA. The E175 feels more like a normal narrowbody jet (737/320), while on the CRA, you definitely feel like you're on an RJ.

The CRA is fine on 1-2 hour flights, but is painful on 4 hour flights like YYC-IAH, which is >1700 miles.

I wish they'd move some E175's out west.
It's interesting that YYC-IAH is still the CRA. The aircraft used to go YYZ-IAH-YYC and vice versa. I guess now it is YYZ-IAH-YYZ. Is the E75 limited on range for YYC-IAH are is it the E75 base in YYZ?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
It's interesting that YYC-IAH is still the CRA. The aircraft used to go YYZ-IAH-YYC and vice versa. I guess now it is YYZ-IAH-YYZ. Is the E75 limited on range for YYC-IAH are is it the E75 base in YYZ?
My understanding is that AC's E175's don't have the range for YYC-IAH (Ben Smith said this on FT when he was more active a couple years ago). UA has done this route with E175's, but not sure if theirs may be newer and have longer range. YYC-IAH is ~1700 miles, so is maxing it out for the CRA as well.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not 100% certain but I do not believe that they are using E75s at all out west. I do not think that Sky has a base in either YVR or YYC -so things could get problematic with having to position a crew there to operate the flight(s)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
The E75 is vastly superior to the CRAs.
As in the E75 offers:
  • slower cruise speed
  • shorter range
  • higher fuel consumption

Other than those performance characteristics, I would agree that the passenger cabin experience is better on the E75.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
As in the E75 offers:
  • slower cruise speed
  • shorter range
  • higher fuel consumption

Other than those performance characteristics, I would agree that the passenger cabin experience is better on the E75.
Funny because they both have very similar engines GE-CF34 series. They both have the exact same max cruise speed at 0.82 Mach, however I've known the E175 to cruise around 0.74 Mach, while the CRJ705 cruises around 0.78 Mach.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by AC681
West, mainly YYC/YVR
I guess this explains why they are all over the YVR-YYC schedule now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.