Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Moving to T6 at LAX in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flybit
WHAT? AC lounge in LAX is a DUMP! Best part of moving is AC will have to build a new lounge, or we use one of the new United lounges.
Exaggerate much?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Given that the AC move to LAX T6 is schedule to take place overnight on May 12, I walked around both inside and outside the terminals to see what was doing and get a sense of traffic.

As you all know, parts of this airport were built in 1961 (e.g. T2). While it would have been so much better to scrap the entire thing and build from new, it obviously wasn't possible.

In T6, there is Alaska, Delta and American for example. There is currently a white-walled area near Delta that looks to have construction going on behind it. I have no idea which part of T6 AC is moving to and it really doesn't matter.

My view of these terminals on both the arrival and departure levels is ugh. There is nothing nice about the lower-level bag delivery area. At least departures gets some daylight.

I also did a couple of test runs on the hotel shuttles to see if arriving at T6 would be a pain since it's close to the end for pick-ups.

I was on a couple of shuttles that were empty and others had a few pax and airline crew.

It seems to me that the timing is the issue. When I arrived on an international flight, it was mayhem outside arrivals at TBIT, so I just walked back to T2 and waited there.

Depending on when you arrive on AC, you might want to walk up to T4 if you find it overcrowded at T6.

Anyway, some photos from the other day.

Attached Images      
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
As you all know, parts of this airport were built in 1961 (e.g. T2). While it would have been so much better to scrap the entire thing and build from new, it obviously wasn't possible.
Maybe they should consult the folks that coordinated Heathrow's new T2 to see whether or not it's possible to remove a dated terminal and build an entirely new facility in the midst of a busy airport.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Maybe they should consult the folks that coordinated Heathrow's new T2 to see whether or not it's possible to remove a dated terminal and build an entirely new facility in the midst of a busy airport.
Yes, I should have added the qualifier...."While it would have been so much better to scrap the entire thing and build from new, it obviously wasn't possible "...FOR LAX.

Also I don't know who paid for which renovations. I know the US3 paid for some of all of theirs. We know DL is paying for the giant airline version of musical chairs on May 12. Westfield, did the work on T2, but I did not look into who owns the terminals.

All I know is that I've been flying to/through LAX for a number of years and more than one terminal and roadways and the rapid transit etc have been under construction for these last number of years.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 24left
...Westfield, did the work on T2, but I did not look into who owns the terminals.
OT, but up until 2010, AC was a part owner of LAX T2 (LAX Two Corp.).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
According to staff today, Brand new lounge under construction is half the size and no showers. Told to expect more than bagged hummus and off brand tostito chips.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Half the size? Does that mean the T2 lounge had a lot of PP card holders as well as the other airlines AC contracted to provide access for (AM?) and they'll be doing away with those, thereby reducing the amount of space needed? Or will it just be a crappy, crowded lounge?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Adam, I was told PP would not be accepted in the new MLL and they would also not partner with other airlines for access the way they currently do in T2.

I also heard food would be "slightly" improved.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by djkyyc
Adam, I was told PP would not be accepted in the new MLL and they would also not partner with other airlines for access the way they currently do in T2.

I also heard food would be "slightly" improved.
Even if they don't take PP they'll probably be overrun with UA*G flying UA domestic.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Even if they don't take PP they'll probably be overrun with UA*G flying UA domestic.
Yeah, we may no longer have to deal with rude-line-cutting Aeromexico passengers, but I can't imagine an MLL in the middle of a UA domestic terminal is ever going to be quiet.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I get why AC allowed the Aeromexico, Volaris, Air China and PP holders into the LAX MLL. I'll assume because AC received payment from these airlines and PP for each of these guests.

Also, the ex-NZ space was big enough and at least in the case of the late night Air China departures, it didn't really matter.

But, I'm with Cow. There have been crowds at mid-morning until Aeromexico departs and given that there is now less food, yes, it's crowded.

As stated above, the new MLL in T6 will not have showers. The explanation was the space in question did not have whatever was needed (plumbing?) and also, it's not big enough.

The MLL will be opened in 2 phases and there is supposed to be pizza and mac and cheese. I cannot vouch for future quality of said food items.

I did take a photo of the liquor licence so it will be interesting to see if that moves with AC to T6.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Any idea how far from the AC gates to the TBIT lounge ?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Any idea how far from the AC gates to the TBIT lounge ?
No but I've done the airside tunnel walk from AA T4 to TBIT and TBIT arrivals/immigration back to T4, as well as AS arrivals to AA departures at T4. Maybe 10-15 minutes depending on distance.

I found this and y it's exactly what the airside tunnel looks like.

First are instructions from 4-6 then 4-TBIT. As noted, "You will emerge airside on the other side of the security checkpoint."

http://milestomemories.boardingarea....een-terminals/

I saw a map of the airside walkway. I'll try to find it.

EDIT TO ADD:

Here is the maps showing the tunnel walkway

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...Tunnel-Map.pdf
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:23 pm

Those two web links almost deserve a Sticky, except which forum would you put it in?

Good stuff, 24L!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Those two web links almost deserve a Sticky, except which forum would you put it in?

Good stuff, 24L!
Thanks!

I've requested stickies for at least 2 other topics that keep getting new threads started. Alas, no one seems interested in a central thread for those same oft repeated topics.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, we may no longer have to deal with rude-line-cutting Aeromexico passengers, but I can't imagine an MLL in the middle of a UA domestic terminal is ever going to be quiet.
Uh Oh.

Just saw this. Cow, someone was reading your thoughts.

"Free Domestic Lounge Access for United Gold Elites and Higher"

by Gary Leff on March 30, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....elites-higher/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.