Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: First time flying in J, what should I take advantage of or make myself less annoying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: First time flying in J, what should I take advantage of or make myself less annoying?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Poster

First time flying in J, what should I take advantage of or make myself less annoying?

Literally my first FT post, but I've been browsing the forums for about a year now cause they are interesting/entertaining.

I'll preface that I fly semi-regularly, but no where near what you vets do. Generally it's just between YEG and YYZ in Y or O.

I managed to snag a couple of business class tickets (J) to LAX from YEG via YVR.

AC 241 (319)
AC 554 (319)

AC 573 (320)
AC 250 (320)

I have been in the MLL a few times, but apart from that, what are somethings I can do to make the most of being in business class for the first time?

Additionally, what can I do to make sure I'm not going to be disruptive or annoying for other Business class passengers. I'm not some rabid barbarian so mostly I just keep to myself/watch IFE or read an ebook. But subtle things that would help me not be disruptive or annoying would be helpful, such as overhead bin access or where to keep a coat, etc.

I'm sure this has been asked before buy FT search wasn't providing me anything concrete, apologies if my search-fu is weak.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
You will enjoy the opportunity to eat a meal and drink some drinks on a plane, without having to produce your credit card.

Otherwise, there's no magic to it.

The seats are nicer, and since you board first, and there's fewer seats per row, you won't have to fight for overhead bin space. If you have a coat, the SD will offer to take it and hang it in a closet for you.

Since you are being 'waited on' more than you would be in Economy, I suggest being friendly and polite to the crew waiting on you. At the same time, if you want a refill, don't be shy about asking for it, just don't snap your fingers or hammer on the call button during turbulence.

You're still sitting in a chair on a plane, it doesn't get there any faster. With early boarding, you will actually spend a bit MORE time on the plane than the guy in 28E.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: *$ Green
What we should do is tell him exactly everything the SD is supposed to do on his flight, and then cross ref adherence to SOP.

Maybe he can see things that people who fly J more often don't realize.

Then we can make an AC vs UA thread discussing this, as is tradition.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
What we should do is tell him exactly everything the SD is supposed to do on his flight, and then cross ref adherence to SOP.

Maybe he can see things that people who fly J more often don't realize.

Then we can make an AC vs UA thread discussing this, as is tradition.
Me: *Can I get you more coffee sir?*

Wait a minute....
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Use priority check-in.

Use the lounge.

Use zone 1 boarding.

Don't throw your jacket in the SD's face, but make sure it's obvious you have one, and they'll likely offer to hang it up. If not, and boarding looks like it's finishing, just ask if it can be hung up.

Bin space should not be an issue if you board with zone 1.

If you want a drink, ask for it. Unless I'm trapped in my seat (narrow-body, laptop out, and some other reason I can't get up), I just get up and go to the galley to ask. I don't push the call button. But I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Aside from that, there isn't much on on YEG-YVR-LAX. You'll get a meal, but there's nothing you should do or not do for that.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I guess reading these forums I see horror stories of all you E25K/E50Ks, SEs and I'm kind just a dirty casual traveler so I don't want to end up on a FT post...
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Vaguswarrior
Literally my first FT post, but I've been browsing the forums for about a year now cause they are interesting/entertaining.

Additionally, what can I do to make sure I'm not going to be disruptive or annoying for other Business class passengers. I'm not some rabid barbarian so mostly I just keep to myself/watch IFE or read an ebook. But subtle things that would help me not be disruptive or annoying would be helpful, such as overhead bin access or where to keep a coat, etc.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

It sounds like you're a civilized and considerate person, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

In terms of advice, use common courtesy:
- say "please" and "thank you" to the crew
- use no more than half of the mini-table located between the two seats
- don't take dozen of selfies or yourself (or worse: fellow pax)
- try not to call your friends/family/neighbours and scream something like "Listen, you won't believe it. I AM IN FIRST CLASS!!!!" into your phone

Enjoy your flights!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Welcome to Flyertalk!

It sounds like you're a civilized and considerate person, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

In terms of advice, use common courtesy:
- say "please" and "thank you" to the crew
- use no more than half of the mini-table located between the two seats
- don't take dozen of selfies or yourself (or worse: fellow pax)
- try not to call your friends/family/neighbours and scream something like "Listen, you won't believe it. I AM IN FIRST CLASS!!!!" into your phone

Enjoy your flights!
Hey, my T-Mobile wifi calling works on gogo.

I should call my grandma and tell her I'm coming to visit. IN FIRST CLASS!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Hey, my T-Mobile wifi calling works on gogo.

I should call my grandma and tell her I'm coming to visit. IN FIRST CLASS!
This is like every social anxiety I have in a single sentence.

Honestly, I was shocked I could afford a J ticket, so I leapt on it. There is no doubt in my mind that I will likely not fly J again for a very long time. I'm saving my points for a mini-RTW but I only have like 200k points so I'm a good while away from that trip.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Vaguswarrior

I'll preface that I fly semi-regularly, but no where near what you vets do. Generally it's just between YEG and YYZ in Y or O.

I managed to snag a couple of business class tickets (J) to LAX from YEG via YVR.

AC 241 (319)
AC 554 (319)

AC 573 (320)
AC 250 (320)

I have been in the MLL a few times, but apart from that, what are somethings I can do to make the most of being in business class for the first time?

I'm sure this has been asked before buy FT search wasn't providing me anything concrete, apologies if my search-fu is weak.
Welcome to FT.

Your post alone tells me that you will be just fine. No need to sweat it.

Enjoy the MLL pickles.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
  • Keep your socks on....if you do take them off, don't put your feet up.
  • Don't cut your fingernails nor toenails while on board.
  • Don't drink too much. If you do, don't tell everybody that you love them.
  • Don't clean your ears during the flight. If you do, don't leave the q-tips on the table between the seats.

Other than that, enjoy!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
My suggestion ---- drink.

Drink ALOT.

Drink so much the SE's on the plane get annoyed and give you looks and then they come back to FT and post about it.

But not so much you are a nuisance and kicked off the plane. All within good reason.

better yet --- rent a baby for the day and bring it with you. That should create a fun atmosphere in J.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:07 pm

So cute. I was like you not much more than five years ago.

Since you're going to LAX anyways, wear shorts and sandals just to antagonize the lounge dragons who have expectations for what a 'business class' passenger looks like.

Cheers
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
My suggestion ---- drink.

Drink ALOT.

Drink so much the SE's on the plane get annoyed and give you looks and then they come back to FT and post about it.

But not so much you are a nuisance and kicked off the plane. All within good reason.

better yet --- rent a baby for the day and bring it with you. That should create a fun atmosphere in J.
Ha ha
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:06 pm

please dont do this
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fired-...light-1.992829

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.