Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

$300 TCON premium, is it really worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *$ Green

Sure. I get it. If you're claiming an award, or using eUps, or a FP upgrade, why would you not.

But would you go out of your way and schedule for a lay flat TCON? For $300?

It's nice, but after a couple of YVR-YUL/YYZ red eyes in narrow body J I don't see the necessity to lay flat for such a short flight. Even redeye.

In fact, I can find many perks of flying NBJ vs WBJ. Lower pax count and faster service being one of them.

And for someone that doesn't have back problems, I find the NBJ seats to be comfortable enough for a short flight. In fact, I've felt fine arriving at destination despite having almost no sleep even the day before.

So, $300, worth it?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Sure. I get it. If you're claiming an award, or using eUps, or a FP upgrade, why would you not.

But would you go out of your way and schedule for a lay flat TCON? For $300?

It's nice, but after a couple of YVR-YUL/YYZ red eyes in narrow body J I don't see the necessity to lay flat for such a short flight. Even redeye.

In fact, I can find many perks of flying NBJ vs WBJ. Lower pax count and faster service being one of them.

And for someone that doesn't have back problems, I find the NBJ seats to be comfortable enough for a short flight. In fact, I've felt fine arriving at destination despite having almost no sleep even the day before.

So, $300, worth it?
Are you referring to the additional cost of $300 for a TCON wide-body J seat vs the price of a narrow-body J seat which is $300 less?

My answer is no, the $300 dollars is not worth the seating change IMHO. My primary consideration is time of departure/arrival, everything else is secondary and tertiary.

I have no issued with sleeping in a narrow-body J seat, in fact I find it easier in some cases.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
So, $300, worth it?
If you travel on OPM, why not?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
2230 YVR-YYZ 77W
2330 YVR-YYZ 321

It's worth it.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
2230 YVR-YYZ 77W
2330 YVR-YYZ 321

It's worth it.
Definitely not - for me, I care about sleeping time more than anything else on the redeye flights.

AC156 arrives in YYZ too early for me, I prefer the arrival time of AC162. I get a better sleep on AC162, since I can be asleep before push back and not wake up until landing, something not possible on AC156. On average I find I have about 45 fewer sleeping minutes on AC156 than I can get on AC162.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC S100K
I'm not so sure that anyone who's able to tolerate red eye flights has a normal utility curve.

But I too am in the "not worth it" camp, mostly because I find the service is better on the narrow bodies and I don't sleep much. Having said that, I use Y flight passes and inevitably choose the 787s all else being equal.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:25 pm

Book lowest Y you can get away with, and pay for the premium seat pre-selection into the PY cabin on the 77W. Avoid Row 12 if you value legroom.

Sure, they'll close the loophole someday (and already have on AC33/34). But until then....
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
$163.85 is worth it.

$163.86 is totally not worth it.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
$163.85 is worth it.

$163.86 is totally not worth it.
Nice to know you're never indifferent.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Definitely not worth it. For a flight that's barely four hours, and sometimes less? Pfffft.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by hydrogen
If you travel on OPM, why not?
in most cases, OPM will pay for an additional night hotel, meals etc. and have you take a regular day time flight than pay for the upgrade on a red-eye. not logical but there you go
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
In that case...

Is $600-800 additional in premium worth it vs PE seats?

If you are already paying near $250 per hour, what's $75 more per hour going to deter you from making such decision?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.