Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Altitude 25K worth the extra 400$?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Black, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite, United Premier Silver, Nexus/GE

Hey Flyertalk,

Long time lurker, and here's my first post... be gentle

I am planning a round-trip from YYZ --> CMB (stopover in London) in November.

I just started a job this year which requires quite a bit of travel over NA, so my question is should I spend the extra 400-500 bucks to buy my ticket from AC vs another air lines?

I currently have 12,414 AQM, 15 AQS, and 5K AQD. From my calculations YYZ --> LHR --> CMB is 8690 miles. If I book my flight there as economy flex(100%) and my return as economy tango(50%) I will be over the 25K threshold(25,584). The flight with a 25% off code(Air Canada screwed up on one of my flights last month) is around $1700. I found the same flight(not operated by Air Canada) for 1,300.

I also just got status with United(Thank you SPG Merger!). So with that status I can do the status challenge starting Jan 1st, which I can meet the pre-reqs easily. Also side question.. if I do the Status challenge starting November, and I complete it by January do I have status for all of 2017?

Is it worth the extra money and using my 25% discount voucher? I'm leaning towards yes, but would love to hear the experts opinions .

Thanks for reading/helping!

Last edited by saanj; Sep 29, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by saanj
Hey Flyertalk,

I am planning a round-trip from YYZ --> CMB (stopover in London) in November.

I just started a job this year which requires quite a bit of travel over NA, so my question is should I spend the extra 400-500 bucks to buy my ticket from AC vs another air lines?

I currently have 12,414 AQM, 15 AQS, and 5K AQD. From my calculations YYZ --> LHR --> CMB is 8690 miles. If I book my flight there as economy flex(50%) and my return as economy tango(100%) I will be over the 25K threshold(25,584). The flight with a 25% off code(Air Canada screwed up on one of my flights last month) is around $1700. I found the same flight(not operated by Air Canada) for 1,300.

I also just got status with United(Thank you SPG Merger!). So with that status I can do the status challenge starting Jan 1st, which I can meet the pre-reqs easily. Also side question.. if I do the Status challenge starting November, and I complete it by January do I have status for all of 2017?

Is it worth the extra money and using my 25% discount voucher? I'm leaning towards yes, but would love to hear the experts opinions .

Thanks for reading/helping!

Welcome to FT.

First, Flex get you 100% and Tango only get you 50%. If your travel next year takes you into the USA, UA status will work for you the same as Aeroplan. With regards to the extra $400-$500, IF AC flight's cut down your travel time, I would spend the extra money and collect UA points and try to increase my status with them. UA status will get you into MLL on AC DOM flights, but you will miss out on AC upgrades.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:26 am
alc

I personally will not spend extra money to get P25K as it doesn't get you much for the $400/$500 that you are going to spend. You can get more perks with a credit card that has an annual fee.

BTW, Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I would say the main benefits to AC 25K are priority boarding and luggage allowance. UA Silver will get you priority boarding and one checked bag on AC flights, so unless you fly with a bunch of luggage on a regular basis, I wouldn't see a lot of benefit to you in spending more for AC 25K.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I would say the main benefits to AC 25K are priority boarding and luggage allowance. UA Silver will get you priority boarding and one checked bag on AC flights, so unless you fly with a bunch of luggage on a regular basis, I wouldn't see a lot of benefit to you in spending more for AC 25K.
UA silver also gets E+ seats at 24hr and if you are doing long haul flights that's worth it.
However in answer to your question NEITHER airline is worth $400 for 25k status.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by flybit
UA silver also gets E+ seats at 24hr and if you are doing long haul flights that's worth it.
However in answer to your question NEITHER airline is worth $400 for 25k status.
OP wasn't asking about the UA status s/he already has.

To be clear, UA silver status does not grant any complimentary access to Preferred Seats on Air Canada flights, any more than AC 25K grants access to E+ seats on United flights.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Erm, P25k doesn't get priority boarding. I normally end up in Zone 5.
E35k = Zone 2, at present.

Silver also gets no priority boarding in my experience, not in UA/LH anyway.

You do get the bag included (2 in fact, at 23kg not 32kg), and half price on some preferred seats.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
P25 is not worth a mileage run or extra $$$ to get. E35 is worth something as you get 3x32kg baggage, priority checkin, priority boarding, priority security (great if no nexus), some eupgrades, and domestic/transborder lounge access.

Also, not sure what airline you'd be flying LHR-CMB with but you need to ensure you would get AQMs for it. Two key ingredients to this would be what airline AC is putting you on and what booking class you are assigned on that flight. Not all Flex fares on AC website that are codeshare earn AQMs at 100% (if at all).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
From the looks of it, you would not go more than 20-25 AQS without a MR..

So I would say No? (Unless you have checked in luggage every time?)

esp since you already have status with United

On another hand E50 is worth a MR for imo.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Make sure you factor in the 25% code the way AC will. Codes usually apply to base fare only, and on some tickets, only 1/3 of the cost is the "base fare". The rest is pseudo-taxes.

+1 on the never-mind-the-"flex"/"tango" labels and make sure you know the booking class on any AC flights on other airline metal. They routinely take flex money from YOU but buy 50%, 25% or even 0% earning booking classes on OAL.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Black, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite, United Premier Silver, Nexus/GE
Thank you guys all for the great insight, I really appreciate it

OP wasn't asking about the UA status s/he already has.

To be clear, UA silver status does not grant any complimentary access to Preferred Seats on Air Canada flights, any more than AC 25K grants access to E+ seats on United flights.
UA Silver. Should have clarified in my original post.

All in all, I think the consensus is it's not really worth it. I do travel for week long trips so I alway keep it to a carry-on anyways so the added bag doesn't really benefit me.

Looks like I'll be doing the Status challenge with AC come January... side note:

Does anyone know how the status challenge would work regarding starting it in November. In an email it says it will remain for the remainder of "the benefit year" - does that mean when the challenge started or ended? I sent a follow up email to AC and am awaiting reply.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
I personally will not spend extra money to get P25K as it doesn't get you much for the $400/$500 that you are going to spend. You can get more perks with a credit card that has an annual fee.

BTW, Welcome to FlyerTalk
ahh typo on my end ;D. But very valid point about the CC, didn't even think about that.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by saanj
Hey Flyertalk,

Welcome to FT.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: TK *G
Also depends on how much travelling you have next year, it is possible that you reach E35K status through early recognition next year. So if you will acheive E35K very quickly next year, then there is probably no need to do a MR to get P25K.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Make sure you factor in the 25% code the way AC will. Codes usually apply to base fare only, and on some tickets, only 1/3 of the cost is the "base fare". The rest is pseudo-taxes.

+1 on the never-mind-the-"flex"/"tango" labels and make sure you know the booking class on any AC flights on other airline metal. They routinely take flex money from YOU but buy 50%, 25% or even 0% earning booking classes on OAL.
Yeah I went through the AC website and put the code it and got the final number... but totally correct with psuedo-taxes

Good point regarding the tango/flex, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.