Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada President: Business Class Customers Don’t Like Surprises

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada President: Business Class Customers Don’t Like Surprises

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Wpgjetse ... um ... you do realize that Vegas hosts more conferences and trade shows each year than any other city in the world, don't you? (more than 22,000 each year, according to these guys). Would you consider the hundreds of thousands of people who work those events to be leisure travelers?

And LAX? Are you serious?

I know Las Vegas is a big convention city. I do 5 conventions a year in Las Vegas. But the majority of the the pax on Las Vegas routes are still leisure and very low rev. Pax will waste hours to save a $100 on airfare by driving to the US for flights. That's why Allegiant is a major player on the YVR-Las Vegas route. I find any flight in/out of Las Vegas the easiest to upgrade on.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by zorn
He was speaking at a conference, not producing ad copy.
The marketing microphone is always on.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR72
I brought chocolates for an Air Canada crew (as I have many times) and the IC wrote me a thank you note and the whole crew signed it for me.
Now that you mention it, I've received a couple notes from pilots.

Actually it was one pilot, on two occasions

Originally Posted by yyznomad
'Cuz they say two thousand zero zero party over,
Oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's RV1999
I guess YYZ-YVR is a leisure route, according to some.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by yvr76
AC still has a ways to go on this front. To not surprise me, I need:

- smooth check-in experience with low wait times (if I check in a bag)
- agents that monitor the SE check-in line
- proper priority boarding, with Zone 1 called on every aircraft with J (and Y aircraft with 70+ pax)
- if two jet bridges, SD that doesn't let about 100+ Y pax board through the one reserved for J
- SE meal orders taken first (not an official perk)
- efficient meal service (was just on a YYZ-LHR red-eye where by the time desert wrapped up we were 3.5 hours into the flight)
- Executive pod seats that don't deflate
- efficient baggage delivery with priority bags first

Rarely can I get through a flight experience with all of these conditions met.
They ought to board SE/J to a side so they don't have to fight their way through the masses. I don't think you can guarantee 2 jetbridges everywhere as nice as it is.

I think they ought to offer a proper quick meal service, so you can eat and be out within an hour. I've had lousy food in LH First (ex-MUC) too so its not like First is no longer airplane food either.

As for the F vs. LF-J, I think the market has spoken. F is great, I really enjoy flying in F, but it ain't worth the cash required over J.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I guess YYZ-YVR is a leisure route, according to some.
Definitely a leisure route. After all, I'm a low-yield leisure kettle and flying that tomorrow. In tango!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:44 am

What the heck is he talking about. I love surprises.
Please AC surprise me with

• An IT system that works, allow me to manage my flights online, without having to call in to your very busy agents
  • A efficient consistant boarding process.
  • Enforcement of carry-on allowances, both size and number. A 30 rollerboard does not fit in the overhead bin. Nor do 6 shopping bags
  • A clean cabin/seats, with working components
  • Clean lavs esp on long/overnight flights
  • Professional polite gate crew
  • A professional, friendly cabin crew. I don't need love notes. Polite and pleasant will do.
  • A consistant quality, edible decent meal. Doesn't have to be haute cuisine. But I would like to enjoy what I am eating.
  • Some variety in the menus. Dare I say pre-ordering of meals.
  • Bread that does not bounce when the FA puts it on my plate or bread that doesn't double as a knee defender.
  • Edible decent quality food in the MLL. Not expecting Beef Wellington but something I can make a meal out of.
  • Extended food serving hours in the MLL. Fine take away hot food (assuming that I have been surprised with hot food in the MLL) but leave some snacks. Cheese, crackers, hummus and veggies, fruit, cookies.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by AirCanadaFlyer
You mean to tell me there are flight attendants that write hand written notes for pax? Does it mean they take notes while you talk or just a little welcome aboard like they do in hotel rooms?
Have I been loyal to the wrong program all along?
I have received written notes for various reasons a few times, and yes the FAs are taking mental notes of what is said when you talk to them. I guess you just have to have a conversation with them that they find interesting.

Originally Posted by jc94
I'd like to be surprised and actually clear the eUp waitlist so I can fly in J.

To me this is the most interesting part of the article "Air Canada believes its business class seat is so good that the airline doesn’t need first class." - I agree in many ways with this; but this is ONE part of the J service. ....
For me, that is the most important part of the J service. I want a comfortable seat and to be left alone. I feel bad for the FAs in some ways, they just can't win. There are those here that want to be constantly doted over during the flight, and then there are others that want the absolute minimum interaction possible.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Seems he has not heard about "consistently inconsistent?"
They're bang on there!!

Originally Posted by yvr76
AC still has a ways to go on this front. To not surprise me, I need:

- smooth check-in experience with low wait times (if I check in a bag)
I have never experienced a long wait time at any SE check-in counter at YYZ/YUL/YVR/YHZ/YYT/YXY and I'd say that my check0in experiences have been predominately smooth.

- agents that monitor the SE check-in line
They do, and I'm occasionally told that I'm in an SE line - thereby implying that I'm standing in the wrong line until I mention that I'm SEMM.

- proper priority boarding, with Zone 1 called on every aircraft with J (and Y aircraft with 70+ pax)
I have never been at a gate area where the various zones weren't called and where Zone 1 wasn't enforced. Where are you seeing this?

- if two jet bridges, SD that doesn't let about 100+ Y pax board through the one reserved for J
What would you have the SD do? Send those people back up the bridge (against the flow of other J pax coming in to board the plane) to use the Y bridge? Is this really that big of an issue for you? If so, you shouldn't be flying commercial - it sounds like private is more your style.

- SE meal orders taken first (not an official perk)
I find this is almost always done - except for Rapidair flights.

- efficient meal service (was just on a YYZ-LHR red-eye where by the time desert wrapped up we were 3.5 hours into the flight)
That's what the express meal service is for, just ask for it.

- Executive pod seats that don't deflate
I can't speak to this as I not noticed this issue.

- efficient baggage delivery with priority bags first
I can't speak to this either as I have not checked a bag since 2002.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Yup, Orlando and Las Vegas are two of the (if not the two) largest convention/expo centres in USA. Almost all of my Orlando travel is business. Thank heavens most of the time I can eUp because the back of rouge is awful.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaysona

I can't speak to this either as I have not checked a bag since 2002.
Priority luggage delivery seems to have significantly improved of late.

At least at YYC, it seems they consistently arrive within minutes of our arrival in the luggage area, a good ten minutes before the remainder.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: Irrelevant

At least at YYC, it seems they consistently arrive within minutes of our arrival in the luggage area, a good ten minutes before the remainder.
This is good to hear. Last weekend I flew back to YUL with my mother, she had a checked bag, and by the time we had walked to the baggage claim area her priority tagged bag was already on the belt. I hope that wasn't a one-of case. ^
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite

I will second that. Seated in J last night (just to point out that I didn't sit on the plane at the gate for 10 min). I walked to the luggage belt, and my luggage was delivered within 2 mins. A bit of a record. Just as nice, I checked it in BOS and didn't have to touch it in YYZ.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by ridefar
I will second that. Seated in J last night (just to point out that I didn't sit on the plane at the gate for 10 min). I walked to the luggage belt, and my luggage was delivered within 2 mins. A bit of a record. Just as nice, I checked it in BOS and didn't have to touch it in YYZ.
AC's service in the air and on the ground has improved considerably. I was seated in Y on a trip from MXP a few wks ago and the SD came over, recognised my status, introduced himself and shook my hands. that very very rarely happened before. its normal in J, but not Y. Outside of the 'why didnt you take my meal order first" type stuff, whihc i dont think as a biggie, (but understand it is important to some) I find AC to be a good airline.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:00 pm

CDG-YYZ, I literally sprinted from gate to NEXUS, zipped through NEXUS to escalator, and one bag was already on carousel... Then waited 15 minutes for the second.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
CDG-YYZ, I literally sprinted from gate to NEXUS, zipped through NEXUS to escalator, and one bag was already on carousel... Then waited 15 minutes for the second.
It's better than none, right?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:10 pm

Gave me time to visit the ladies' I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.