Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC fall Do - burgers & Scotch - September 24, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DrunkCargo
Calgary Fall AC FT Do

Location: Buchanan's (738 3rd Avenue SW) - outside on the patio, weather and group size permitting - it's a nice day here in YYC, but it is fall, so it's not super-warm and will get cooler as the evening goes on. For Calgarians, that's still good patio weather, so unless there's a strong feeling in the group that we should be inside, we'll be on the patio. A light jacket or sweatshirt might come in handy.
Date: Saturday, September 24th
Boarding Time: 18:00 - feel free to show up earlier, but the host won't guarantee his own arrival before 6PM due to an earlier engagement
Reservation is under Adam Smith.

Current Availability
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P0 R2 I0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 X0
Availability is wide open, but Tango and P fares are not available on this route.

Confirmed pax
adam.smith +1
SearsTower +1
rehoult
Herpayvr
folkart
YYC372
djkyyc
BlondeBomber
WR Cage
kokinos +1
canadiancow
awardbee
drunkcargo <Made it>

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do
catgirl
mountaingrl
mountainboy
airstream74
Erome
Mister T
yyznomad (back onto EF alerts)

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night
YEG2MM
krayZpaving (CDG-YVR that night...boo...)
gcashin - away this weekend
CanRulez - away for 2 weeks
jaysona
diabeetus

Important Event Notes
  • Promo codes are not applicable to this event. Upgrades and AE redemptions are blocked by revenue management - you get what you pay for.
  • No hockey puck beef will be served! If it is, send it back! (Unless that's actually what you like, you weirdo?)
  • This is an AC codeshare. Spend will count towards your 2016 AQD totals, provided you ticket it on 014 stock.
  • The Do website will be down for regularly scheduled maintenance. Often. But we won't bother to tell you in advance.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a diet Coke, fish and white wine or whatever floats your boat.
  • I'm working on some type of deal with the restaurant to get us a bit of a deal on something, e.g. a cheap Scotch tasting flight or a discount on the burgers. Will provide details as available; please post in the thread if you have preferences. Buchanan's offers a discounted Scotch tasting flight on Wednesdays and they'll be offering that deal to us tonight as well. Typically samples of three different whiskys at about a 25% discount to list price; we should have two different flights available.
  • No T-shirts, but I will definitely provide name tags this time Name tags have been purchased and are in my car, along with a couple of Sharpies.
Print Wikipost

YYC fall Do - burgers & Scotch - September 24, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I work until six so will be a little late, 6:30 to 6:45...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Hmm I do see a 21:30 departure to YVR. Not sure why my flight pass didn't show it yesterday. How late will this do run?
Last many standing?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
So I wasn't sure, but it looks like a no. While I would love to be there, I haven't seen my better half in a week and she's around tomorrow. And sorry, I love you all very much but it goes GF > FT > rest of my social life.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Hmm I do see a 21:30 departure to YVR. Not sure why my flight pass didn't show it yesterday. How late will this do run?
It does not show on Expert Flyer or AC site--229 does not operate Saturdays. Did you have right date plugged in? Latest flight I see is 19:30

But there is a 5:45 flight Sunday AM getting in at 6:19
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Make sure someone is there to catch Hurley's Comit.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight. A few small updates in red in the wiki. For those reading FT on mobile without wiki:
  • It's a nice day here in YYC, but it is fall, so it's not super-warm and will get cooler as the evening goes on. For Calgarians, that's still good patio weather, so unless there's a strong feeling in the group that we should be inside, we'll be on the patio. A light jacket or sweatshirt might come in handy.
  • Reservation is under Adam Smith.
  • Re food or beverage deal: Buchanan's offers a discounted Scotch tasting flight on Wednesdays and they'll be offering that deal to us tonight as well. Typically samples of three different whiskys at about a 25% discount to list price; we should have two different flights available.

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
It does not show on Expert Flyer or AC site--229 does not operate Saturdays. Did you have right date plugged in? Latest flight I see is 19:30

But there is a 5:45 flight Sunday AM getting in at 6:19
This wouldn't be the first time Nitehawk got the date of a Do wrong, nor would he be the first guy to get the date of this Do wrong
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
A great relaxing evening with some great conversations, reliving old battles and looking forward to future travels -- the best to all . . .^
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
It was a great pleasure to meet everyone. Adam, thanks for all the work that went into this!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:37 am

Great time

Thanks Adam for organizing the Do. Great evening with great conversation.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks Adam+all.

And I liked the location. Great service and cheap booze.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Good location, huge selection of booze... burger was pretty decent too!

Was worth the WS "connection". Thanks to AC for cancelling two YYZ-YVR widebodies yesterday!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Thanks again Adam for doing this.

Great conversation about so much

The Coffee and healthy salad were very nice

On a personal note congratulation to the both of you, wishing the very best for you both ^

P.S. - I voted to be outside
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks to all for coming out, it was a nice evening, and a special thanks to those who came from outside YYC for making the trek.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:29 pm

And a big congrats too. I enjoyed talking with both of you!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Thanks to all for coming out, it was a nice evening, and a special thanks to those who came from outside YYC for making the trek.

Sorry
I missed this one, hope I can make the next one. I'm beginning to forget what you look like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.