Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Did AC cancel hold option for international tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Trying to put a YYZ-HKG ticket on hold, and I don't see the 5 day hold option anymore. Tried to do a search and found nothing. Did something change?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
As of a few months ago you could "hold" seats for a fairly brief period of time but fare price wasn't guaranteed until actually ticketed.

Not sure if that has changed.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Lev. Can someone who has time try and see if they are getting the hold option?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Thanks Lev. Can someone who has time try and see if they are getting the hold option?
Called AC for you.

Only 24 hour option available and can only be done on the phone with an agent.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
HI MG-

I looked but dont see any hold options....new website issue maybe??
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Since you can always book and cancel within 24 hours, a 24 hour hold policy
is meaningless.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
is meaningless.
Unless you need to scramble to find someone who has a credit card with enough credit left on it to pay the fare.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Called AC for you.

Only 24 hour option available and can only be done on the phone with an agent.
Thank you. ^

Originally Posted by Plumber
HI MG-

I looked but dont see any hold options....new website issue maybe??
Sounds like it's gone.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
is meaningless.
I believe it was a 5 day hold (only available on international tickets) and I have used it multiple times in the past.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I believe it was a 5 day hold (only available on international tickets) and I have used it multiple times in the past.
I always used this for international business travel, but usually through a travel agent. Is this option still available for travel agents or is it gone altogether?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I always used this for international business travel, but usually through a travel agent. Is this option still available for travel agents or is it gone altogether?
Travel agents can create a PNR to hold seats without ticketing, generally until the ticket time limit. 72 hours is common, but some fares may only allow 24 hours for example. This doesn't guarantee the fare though as fares can be increased or deleted before this time passes.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by D582
Travel agents can create a PNR to hold seats without ticketing, generally until the ticket time limit. 72 hours is common, but some fares may only allow 24 hours for example. This doesn't guarantee the fare though as fares can be increased or deleted before this time passes.
Correct. I don't know how AC.com does it but the ticketing limit is in the fare rules. Generally I have not seen it exceed 72 hours but there is no limit to what it could say. Fares are not guaranteed until ticketed but the space can be held in the booking class for the length of the fare - or until the fare lapses or is withdrawn.

Fares tend to get pulled at Midnight on Mondays (not a rule but generally) so if you are making a booking to hold space on a Friday - you can almost be sure the fare will still be there on a Monday so a 72 hour hold would work for that. But I would not do it on a Monday to ticket on Thursday. . .
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:13 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The problem is AC now has a BOT that scans unticketed PNRs to Asia and drops in ticketing messages that supersede the fare rule. A TA used to be able to hold a C fare to asia for 72hrs... no more. AC wants ticket numbers usually within 30 hours of the PNR being created. As a TA you have to managed those PNRs a lot more closely now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.