Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC YYZ-DEL J class loads - possibly getting award seats or eupgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC YYZ-DEL J class loads - possibly getting award seats or eupgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I do know that Indians (unlike Chinese) - no matter how wealthy - consider business or higher class seats unduly extravagant - esp. if they are paying out of their own pocket. Was that what led to the cancellation of the original AC YYZ-DEL flight? - poor J class loads.

I am surprised that J class loads are so good on this flight! Who buys the J class seats on this flight right now?
Adam is right, with a billion people, you are going to have people, businesses and governments paying for it. A 14hour flight for any business or government with a J travel policy on long flights will qualify.

As for who - I don't go around asking, I just keep to myself .

Originally Posted by yulred
He's referring to the 343 non stop flights circa 2004. That then gave way to 767 via ZUR (all AC metal), and then ended. That was generally blamed on low yield traffic.

There is J traffic on India routes, but it's not uncommon to see P fares between $3 and $3.5k, even on the non-stop. Most folk just opt for cheaper one-stops in J. AF/KL, TK and LX price very aggressively at times.

I flew the 343 on that route in Y once. We lucked out insofar as we didn't have to make a tech stop in Stockholm (not uncommon). However the experience was awful enough for me to never recommend that route in Y.
True! I often get great P fares in the range for that route, which could be a reason why it sells! There have been a few times where J was $800 more than PY O/W for the entire YVR - YYZ -DEL - BLR
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Sean flies to India a lot so he would know. I checked EF for this Friday and it's currently R4. All the cheap seats seem sold out.
Yes, I do, and very often I have employees going too. I have a guy coming to Canada Tuesday.

It's hit and miss, the OP's question was if there are always J, the answer to that is simply no. I have been on many that are J0 many days out.

BUT there are days where there are free spaces too! Sometimes you'll see it go out J5ish and then the flight the following day J0.

Generally speaking, if you're looking to upgrade, I would say you have a reasonable chance if doing so from PY. But by no means a guarantee.

If you are in Y I would say the chances are typically much much lower.

I'll also note that I've seen some very reasonable LMU's on this route, which I know were purchases more than a few times.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I do know that Indians (unlike Chinese) - no matter how wealthy - consider business or higher class seats unduly extravagant - esp. if they are paying out of their own pocket. Was that what led to the cancellation of the original AC YYZ-DEL flight? - poor J class loads.

I am surprised that J class loads are so good on this flight! Who buys the J class seats on this flight right now?
That's an incredibly ignorant and broad-based statement to make about Indians not buying business class tickets.
As to who buys J class on this route, clearly there are quite a few otherwise AC wouldn't be operating it. And you are clearly among those who aren't buying business class!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
That's an incredibly ignorant and broad-based statement to make about Indians not buying business class tickets.
As to who buys J class on this route, clearly there are quite a few otherwise AC wouldn't be operating it. And you are clearly among those who aren't buying business class!
this is AC 3rd try at India, so AC is operating it because it trying again to make money on a tough flight.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Wrong on all counts.

I am of East Indian origin. However, I would never go to India in anything less than business class.

Many of my Indian relatives or friends (residing either in India or in North America) are millionaires or richer; most of them will never consider going in business class, especially if they are paying out of their own pocket.

Ethnic Chinese passengers are more enthusiastic than ethnic Indian passengers as a rule (there are exceptions to the rule; such as myself) - tell me why there are more routes between North America and China/Hong Kong than between North America and India. I submit because a lot of profit that is attained on the China-bound routes is due to better yields by ethnic Chinese on those routes than by ethnic Indians on the India-bound routes?

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Jul 30, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.