Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SFO Lounges - Flying AC/UA J Where should I park myself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Lounges - Flying AC/UA J Where should I park myself?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This. This this this.

OP mentioned the Centurion lounge is in T1. It is not. It's in T3.

AC lands in international G, which has an airside connection to T3, where United flies.

If you get off the plane and immediately start walking to your United gate (do NOT leave security), you will pass the Centurion lounge. Go in there.

I have been in every airside lounge accessible from T3 and international G, and it is by far the best.

The United Global First lounge (which you do not have access to) only beats Centurion in terms of how many people are in there. In every other way, Centurion beats it.

BR and SQ have nothing on it, unless you really want Asian food.
GFL has real Champagne while Centurion has sparkling which is similar to what UC serves. UC also serves some craft beer on the house now too.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is incorrect. Not where YYZ-SFO is on AC and the pax is not *G or a MLL member.

There is no access to the UC based either on the AC arrival in J or a UA domestic departure in F.

I suggest you read the UC access rules. Lounge Access.
Those flying UA F/J transborder flight, i.e., starting in Canada and ending in the U.S. or v.v., they are entitled to use the UC at all connecting and destination airports.

There is a technical issue here since the first flight is not on UA. So I don't know if OP is able to use the UC at SFO. If the first flight is on UA, I can tell from personal experience that there should be no issue to use the UC at SFO.

I agree with others that the Centurion Lounge is far superior than any UC at SFO.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Agree with everyone, go to the cent lounge

To be a bit more specific with cow's instructions, AC flight lands in International G. Walk towards the exit/security checkpoint but don't leave the secure area.

Instead, look to your left. You'll see the doors for the Eewnited Club and a hallway to your left/right. The hall to the right is the SQ and BR lounges which prolly won't be open for your connection.

Go left, down the escalators, through the airside connector to Term 3. You can't miss the Cent lounge. Look for the blue doors beside the security checkpoint exit.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
Agree with everyone, go to the cent lounge

To be a bit more specific with cow's instructions, AC flight lands in International G. Walk towards the exit/security checkpoint but don't leave the secure area.

Instead, look to your left. You'll see the doors for the Eewnited Club and a hallway to your left/right. The hall to the right is the SQ and BR lounges which prolly won't be open for your connection.

Go left, down the escalators, through the airside connector to Term 3. You can't miss the Cent lounge. Look for the blue doors beside the security checkpoint exit.
Right. Since I JUST made this walk, it's literally before the SECOND gate in T3.

If you walk past two United gates, you've gone too far.

If you walk past the security checkpoint, it's IMMEDIATELY on your right.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:00 am

UA clubs are last on my list. And this year experienced many.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:52 am

I ventured into both the international UC and the Centurion yesterday. The food in the UK was more to my tastes. The food chicken in Centurion is getting old.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The centurion lounge, no brainer if you have access.

However, if you have 6 hours, I'd suggest you take the BART and venture into the city , walk around, and have a real meal.

A lounge is great for an hour, not 6.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I don't have Amex.

AC just started YYC-SFO direct. I used to fly UA.

Which would be the best lounge other than centurion, in my situation (*G on AC to YYC).
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I don't have Amex.

Which would be the best lounge other than centurion, in my situation (*G on AC to YYC).
Well, if SQ or BR are open, probably one of them.

But UA has been stepping up its food game, so it really depends on what you're looking for. I usually just want a snack before the flight, and UA has exactly what I want.

If you want a full meal and you want Asian food, try SQ or BR.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was just in the Centurion lounge in May - I swear it was in the INTL A area, but I was obviously turned around from where I thought I was on the map. I remember the route well, walking through what appears to be an out of place hallway, opening up to a terminal with a security checkpoint right there - but the hallway/tunnel side-skirted the check. From there, the Blue Doors to Relaxtion (BDR) were right in front of me.

OK, this may sound really odd... I thought the Centurion Lounge was nice - very nice, in fact, but.. and here's perhaps the odd part - I thought the food was just OK... I KNOW I am in the vast minority on this one (and I accept this), but we don't drink- so the top shelf bar offerings mean nothing to me. In fact, having a bartender is more of a disadvantage to ME.. I just want a place to kick back (those reclining loungers, although rare- are awesome!), and have a few juices, waters, or cokes. Nothing special here. I prefer the "typical" lounge offerings of cheese/crackers/snacks with a fridge full or pop/juice/water. I like the ones with soups, or light meal offerings. The Centurion Lounge had a nice dinner-type offering. And every time I wanted a diet coke, I feel like I'm bothering the bartender.

If the UA lounges are in the same area, and don't require passing through a TSA point, then I might at least check those out - since I already know what the Centurion offers. - there were a few questions on whether or not I had access to a UA lounge? I've no idea of these rules.. sounds like I have it, I think?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:05 am

Your tastes seem similar to mine (minus the alcohol), so I think you'd be content with the United Club.

Basically, when you land, you're going to have to walk past the international United Club to get to Centurion, so I'd just stop in and see if you have access. If you do, go up and check it out. If it suits your needs, I'd probably head to one closer to your gate. If not, it's a short walk to Centurion.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your tastes seem similar to mine (minus the alcohol), so I think you'd be content with the United Club.

Basically, when you land, you're going to have to walk past the international United Club to get to Centurion, so I'd just stop in and see if you have access. If you do, go up and check it out. If it suits your needs, I'd probably head to one closer to your gate. If not, it's a short walk to Centurion.
Thanks cow, you've been a great help on this one. Appreciate it.

BTW, I did call the United Club service line, and explained my itinerary, and she did confirm that I would have UC lounge access in SFO. However, I've called enough service centers/customer service reps to know that this may not be the "final answer"

Last edited by Toddcan; Jun 26, 2016 at 8:22 am
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I don't have Amex.

As Cow said, UA or SQ. BR is only open for a short time before their flight. UA is the most spacious. SQ will have some Asian food incl soup and noodles/rice with some chicken. SQ frowns on us visiting their lounge so likely a frosty reception and a encouragement to try UA, but they will let you in. SQ also closes 30 mins before their flight departs.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by entropy
A lounge is great for an hour, not 6.
Agreed. The advice I was given for an upcoming trip (with a 3:20 layover) was to head out of Pier G (same as yours ) and tour around the SFO Museum. Still had plenty of time and even UA's F lounge isn't worth more than an hour or so.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by Toddcan
Thanks cow, you've been a great help on this one. Appreciate it.

BTW, I did call the United Club service line, and explained my itinerary, and she did confirm that I would have UC lounge access in SFO. However, I've called enough service centers/customer service reps to know that this may not be the "final answer"
Having read the UA board enough, you're right about the "final answer" part. If you really have the time, feel free to post a similar question on the UA board and see if people there can feed you magical words to kindly "inform" the lounge dragon that you indeed have access

Another option is to call UA customer service again, confirm with a second rep, and see if they can give you a GG number that states the lounge access policy.

Caveat: GG was a thing that UA used to use (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-list-2.html) but after the COdbaUA merger, donno what the new policy list thing is called

Originally Posted by vernonc
As Cow said, UA or SQ. BR is only open for a short time before their flight. UA is the most spacious. SQ will have some Asian food incl soup and noodles/rice with some chicken. SQ frowns on us visiting their lounge so likely a frosty reception and a encouragement to try UA, but they will let you in. SQ also closes 30 mins before their flight departs.
+1 about this advice. I only made it in to the SQ lounge once, and just like Newton's third law, it required an equal but opposite amount of "encouragement" before cow and I were let in

Every other time I tried to use the SQ lounge, they said the lounge was open only for the ANZ flight, so I headed over to the BR lounge instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.