Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Pods - 777-200LR - Smaller than 787 J Pods?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100K

I had the chance to take AC 33 last night YYZ-YVR. I was pleasantly surprised to see the updated J-Cabin including the new seats. They are the same line as the 787 J-Seats but on going into lie-flat mode, I found them to be small and cramped.

The main issue is that there is so little clearance between the fixed table tray and the mattress that you basically can't roll onto your side. I'm not tiny but I'm not huge and I just could not fit in the seat when it was in lie-flat mode. I can fit fine - lying on my back - and being "slotted" down under the tray table but I could roll onto my side or anything and it was seriously uncomfortable.

Anyone else have such an experience? Anyone else taken these?

I have taken the 787 a few times and it is truly a great seat and I had no problems on it when I took it for my overseas segment last week.

I would basically want to avoid these now.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I personally haven't tried the new seats yet, however my dad was telling me about his recent experience. He's flown on the 787-8 many times without issue, however he flew on the 787-9 last week to CPH and noticed the very small clearance between the mattress and tray table. It sounds like maybe the seats have gotten smaller since their introduction on the 788 is 2014? Also you said you didn't have an issue with the 787. Was that the 8 or 9?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Yes, has been discussed in the master thread for the refurb.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dorian
Yes, has been discussed in the master thread for the refurb.
Repeatedly.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I personally haven't tried the new seats yet, however my dad was telling me about his recent experience. He's flown on the 787-8 many times without issue, however he flew on the 787-9 last week to CPH and noticed the very small clearance between the mattress and tray table. It sounds like maybe the seats have gotten smaller since their introduction on the 788 is 2014? Also you said you didn't have an issue with the 787. Was that the 8 or 9?
I've been on both the 8 and the 9. The 787 flight last week was the 9. Did not really notice any space problems. I though for sure something was wrong with my seat last night. . . . Makes me want to get the HD 777 back . . Will search for some of the threads on this as I don't remember seeing any.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I've been on both the 8 and the 9. The 787 flight last week was the 9. Did not really notice any space problems. I though for sure something was wrong with my seat last night. . . . Makes me want to get the HD 777 back . . Will search for some of the threads on this as I don't remember seeing any.

Well, a little bit of time on AC FT search and a couple of things

Here is one post from this thread, where there is repeated mentions of space - sometimes it was the space inside the pod, sometimes it was the space getting into the pod....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26532582-post993.html

There were also comparison mentions in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rvice-243.html as well as some others that were specifically about choosing seats and the differences betters the 788/9 and 777s' (refurb) J pods
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Makes me want to get the HD 777 back .
How not to make friends on FT.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
I was on the same flight last night - my first on an refurb'd 777. I was anxious to experience the pods after reading the other thread. I noticed they are tighter the minute I sat down. But, I will say that for me (5'10, slim) it was no problem at all. It just felt more cozy.

I will take the AC business class over any other N.A. airline.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
I just flew a refurb 777 in J and it had to have been my most uncomfortable J flight in memory.
i am 6' 220lbs and when lying on my side not only was the seat or mattress very hard. I tried adjusting it inflating it but didn't seem to change at all so not sure if something was wrong. But I was wedged between the seat and tray table. There was no comfort there. If I sleep on my back I occasionally want to bend my knees which is also not possible. I think if I am stuck taking these planes I will switch back to PE where it is similar comfort with a much lower expectation.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
I find no difference between new J pod on 787 v 777.

Of note, I kept trying to find the window dimmer button on the 777. Just about to ask the FA for help and I realized that the 777 has the old shades.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Finally had the chance to try new J class on both the 777 and 789 myself. No difference in the pod itself from what I could tell. As for the foot well in the pod I didn't have any issues with space, however I'm only 5'8 and rather slim.

One thing I did notice was the amazing job they did with the refurb of the 777s. I felt like I was walking into a 787 when boarding. Almost believed there was an aircraft change.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
I agree with YHZ_Flyer. I've flown both 77W and 789; no major differences, but I actually think the 77W has a larger side seat storage cabin where the electronic outlets and the remote control is located.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
I agree with YHZ_Flyer. I've flown both 77W and 789; no major differences, but I actually think the 77W has a larger side seat storage cabin where the electronic outlets and the remote control is located.

I did not find any difference with the storage space where the remote is
The opening at the floor area at the entrance to the pod seems smaller on the 77.

I suppose this whole space thing is irrelevant in the grand scheme, but since someone posted way back that they noticed a difference......

Anyway, there are a few ways to know the exact difference, if any

1. Some of us measure it ourselves
2. AC tells us the specs
3. The pod manufacturer supplies the specs

Until then, we each have our own view of whether there is a difference.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Anyway, there are a few ways to know the exact difference, if any

1. Some of us measure it ourselves
2. AC tells us the specs
3. The pod manufacturer supplies the specs

Until then, we each have our own view of whether there is a difference.
Seatguru claim the pitch is 80 inches on the 788/789, but 70-75 for the 777.

How they evaluate that is unclear. However we know that the cabin width is larger for the 777. Which means that they call install the same seat horizontally more inclined with respect to the longitudinal direction, hence a smaller distance between seats lengthwise. Even if the open space measured parallel to the seat direction is the same, when measured along the plane longitudinal direction it will be less.

Of course it is also possible that the best fit led to a somewhat reduced space. They placed one extra seat but also removed a closet, so who knows. As you say, one would need to bring a tape and measure.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Oh don't worry, the poor peasants in the back got your wish , for them that is.

Also... IDK about you, but something about having all-aisle access is worth the tradeoffs.
But your comment does worry me a little, I have two 77W Business Award coming up and I hope the space problem is not as bad as you put it. :P

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jul 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.