Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What is your biggest beef with Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your biggest beef with Air Canada?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
the fact that AC staff get to take business class seats and AC top tier super elites get stuck in the back...
Old May 24, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Gate agents make minimum wage? I'll take that beef for $100 Alex.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
On my phone so sorry for not quoting exactly the line item that I want to but gate agents should very well be serving a customer, just like I do for mine. If they are not, then they are not doing their job.

As you said it is what it is but if I ask if my upgrade cleared I should not be pushed aside during boarding and snarled at for bothering them.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be serving you. I'm saying you shouldn't treat them like a servant. There's no reason you can't be friendly with them.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not saying they shouldn't be serving you. I'm saying you shouldn't treat them like a servant. There's no reason you can't be friendly with them.
I disagree with you but thats ok.

When I interact with GAs I need something urgently, much like you do in the situation that you presented.

I dont have time for small talk.

I hate how I have to apologize for bothering them. It should not be this way.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by montrealer
  • Lack of frontline empowerment. Minor exceptions which could, and at one point in the past were, done noncontroversially by staff for even moderately frequent flyers, now take a concierge if they can be done at all.
This. Especially for non-SE people. The concierge should not be needed for half the stuff I see described on FT.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:45 am

If I can only give one, it would be that they've somehow combined the profit squeezing outlook of a corporation with the customer service and entitlements of a government agency.

Cheers
Old May 24, 2016, 11:56 am

As in, what is the #1 thing that pisses you off with Air Canada?
What the leadership believes they deliver, vs. what is actually delivered.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC

I dont have time for small talk.
This is possibly THE funniest thing you have ever posted on FT.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NordsFan
This is possibly THE funniest thing you have ever posted on FT.
Finally, someone got it.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Finally, someone got it.
Sorry, but I see zero irony in your "small talk" statement and am convinced that you were being earnest.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I hate how I have to apologize for bothering them. It should not be this way.
I don't think I've ever apologized for talking to an AC employee about something I need them to do.

I just don't seem to experience the issues you do.

I'd like to see the ground agent attitudes improved, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as you do.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I don't think I've ever apologized for talking to an AC employee about something I need them to do.

I just don't seem to experience the issues you do.

I'd like to see the ground agent attitudes improved, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as you do.
YMMV as they say.

When I fly on other airlines, inclusive of WS (even if I don't like the airline), I've found helpful gate agents. It's always been "Thanks for flying with us, have a great day". Vs, AC's....BP! Next.

My experience with AC GA's have been poor, that's all I'm saying. It's my main reason for having a beef with AC.

I recall once at SAN where they literally roped off Zone 1 after they were done with boarding Zone 1. Like, for real? Come on. I was late to the gate, but still entitled to board in Zone 1. I had to cut everyone else off (they were boarding Zone 3 at the time).

I recall making a comment to the gate agent and she snarkingly replied back that it's protocol.

I followed up with an AC R employee at the office in Toronto after that. (corporate gentleman who I met off of FT)
Old May 24, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Gate agents.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I get the feeling that some AC gate agents will read this and laugh themselves silly about how DYKIA some here are.

I try to treat every front line employee with courtesy--in other words they way I would want to be treated in an ideal world.

Yes, it's old fashioned, but sometimes that's the best way.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Totally agreed and can entirely picture this happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.