Old May 10, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If YOU are willing to pay $5k, I may have to double the estimate
I will accept the 5k AQD, not double.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Every aircraft that AC operates has at least 2 engines.
Conversely, none of the current aircraft that AC operates has more than 2 engines.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:33 am

Here's the part where I ask my fellow FTers for advice

I have 13 segments so far for 2016 (9 AC metal).

I just graduated and assuming job offer works out with a delay, I'll have about 3 weeks and am willing to spend $X to get early status recognition (assuming that's required for this contest).

How much do I need to spend? I'll fly anywhere for those 3 weeks.
1) How much to get status?
2) How much to be in top 20?

I currently don't have status
Old May 11, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: AC:50K
Every aircraft that AC operates has at least 2 engines.
Well, every aircraft is *supposed* to have at least 2 engines, but you never know how many they'll have left in operation by the time they land... as a former AC pilot remarked to me recently, Canada has the world's best glider pilots.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: AC:50K
I suspect you'd get at least 60%.
Really? Huh, I figured that between taking Tango fares and having lots of short hops, far more than 40% of the ticket price would be attributed to "fees".
Old May 11, 2016, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cperciva
Well, every aircraft is *supposed* to have at least 2 engines, but you never know how many they'll have left in operation by the time they land... as a former AC pilot remarked to me recently, Canada has the world's best glider pilots.
Wait. You know one of the Gimli pilots? #intotalawe!
Old May 11, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Conversely, none of the current aircraft that AC operates has more than 2 engines.
Every jet that AC flies has 3 jet fuel engines and 1 wind based.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
Here's the part where I ask my fellow FTers for advice

I have 13 segments so far for 2016 (9 AC metal).

I just graduated and assuming job offer works out with a delay, I'll have about 3 weeks and am willing to spend $X to get early status recognition (assuming that's required for this contest).

How much do I need to spend? I'll fly anywhere for those 3 weeks.
1) How much to get status?
2) How much to be in top 20?

I currently don't have status
1) You could probably get early recognition for a little over $1000 more.
2) My current estimate is $5000, but every time more people talk about doing this, that number increases. I suspect by the time they announce the rules it will be closer to $8000.

Originally Posted by cperciva
Really? Huh, I figured that between taking Tango fares and having lots of short hops, far more than 40% of the ticket price would be attributed to "fees".
Having prices out several more EYW-style itineraries last night, I stand by number

Wait. You know one of the Gimli pilots? #intotalawe!
He did not say that at all. And this has nothing to do with EYW.

Last edited by canadiancow; May 11, 2016 at 12:54 pm Reason: typo
Old May 11, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Scott, how many days and how many flights is the biggest itinerary? By doing one massive itinerary, you pay once for Navcan, Security, US Customs etc and avoid the majority of AIF! Its these "unnecessary" fees i would want to avoid by having a non stop three week itinerary?
Old May 11, 2016, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Scott, how many days and how many flights is the biggest itinerary? By doing one massive itinerary, you pay once for Navcan, Security, US Customs etc and avoid the majority of AIF! Its these "unnecessary" fees i would want to avoid by having a non stop three week itinerary?
Good luck getting more than 12 segments on one PNR.

In v1, because I had "long connections", I had two YYJ-SEA round trips booked online, and one PNR for the rest of it, containing 14 segments, booked on the phone.

In v3, two agents said the segment limit was 12, and I was averaging around 8 per day, so I just did one PNR per day.

Also, aside from my first and last day in v3, I had no US segments. In v4, there were none at all.

My "itinerary" consisted of 10 days of flying, 80ish flights, a bunch of hotels, and spanned approximately a month or two. But the biggest PNR in v4 started at 5am and ended 20 hours later. v4 had a red-eye, which affected the separation there a bit.

Also, if you did a non-stop 3 week itinerary, you'd probably requalify for SE
Old May 11, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
There is a lot of excitement on this board when the details/rules aren't even published yet.

SG
Old May 11, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I always ignored the EYW threads in prior years. Can someone give me the coles notes here? The way I understand it, some of you are planning to do a bunch of MRs over a 3 week period to get badges based on the airports you end up at? Where do you find the time?
Old May 11, 2016, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by j_the_p
I always ignored the EYW threads in prior years. Can someone give me the coles notes here? The way I understand it, some of you are planning to do a bunch of MRs over a 3 week period to get badges based on the airports you end up at? Where do you find the time?
Where does one find the time to post and read FT?

The beauty of FT is all threads are indexed archival fashion. A search can easily bring up the answer you're looking for. In your spare time of course.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Good luck getting more than 12 segments on one PNR.

In v1, because I had "long connections", I had two YYJ-SEA round trips booked online, and one PNR for the rest of it, containing 14 segments, booked on the phone.

In v3, two agents said the segment limit was 12, and I was averaging around 8 per day, so I just did one PNR per day.

Also, aside from my first and last day in v3, I had no US segments. In v4, there were none at all.

My "itinerary" consisted of 10 days of flying, 80ish flights, a bunch of hotels, and spanned approximately a month or two. But the biggest PNR in v4 started at 5am and ended 20 hours later. v4 had a red-eye, which affected the separation there a bit.

Also, if you did a non-stop 3 week itinerary, you'd probably requalify for SE
I've been able to get 16 segments on a pnr before using the secret handshake.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Where does one find the time to post and read FT?

The beauty of FT is all threads are indexed archival fashion. A search can easily bring up the answer you're looking for. In your spare time of course.
We're all looking for a reason to get our backs up and be offended, eh?

Anyway, I did do some reading on it, and therefore I posted my understanding of it. Was sort of looking for confirmation of that.

And yeah, to expand on my other question: [HUMBLY]do you guys take time off work for this? Are you retired? Are you trying to squeeze it in on the side?[/HUMBLY]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.