Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell phone protocol in MLL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Cell phone protocol in MLL

Anyone else notice that with overcrowding MLL & *A lounges that persons on cell phones are becoming more and more annoying. Im not trying to be "holier than thou" but when I need to talk I deliberately look for an area where others cannot hear me!!! not so with may others. I recently had one fellow talk so loud I couldn't hear the person sitting beside me, I ended up confronting the person and several came over to thank me.
Funny thing is when your talking on your phone you don't realize how loud you are!!
Some lounges have "quiet zones", great!!!
Even during boarding & waiting for the main cabin door to close, you hear some talking like they want everyone to know...
Anyway, it a "bee in my bonnet" for sure....
JD
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james dean

Some lounges have "quiet zones", great!!!
But do these make a difference? Can they be enforced?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Funny enough, one time I was in the cell free zone. I took that as not texting with vibrate or talking. I was using my phone on silent (everywhere else in the lounge was occupied) and I kept getting dirty looks from one man. Ironically he was on his laptop typing very loudly
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Stranger
No and No...
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
YYZ's MLL quiet zones are usually pretty good, absent families and suits.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I like to walk up behind the loud video callers and wave to their camera.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:50 pm
Suspended

I was in the Thai lounge and a woman from england was videocalling her various relatives back home on Skype.

So not only do you get the person shouting loud enough that everyone in the lounge can hear them, but you also get the wonderful other side of the conversation.

Add to the mix the worst "mom calling her friends" conversation you can imagine. The complete and utter inanity and unnecessary crap that they spoke about blew my mind.

Husband just sat there deaf to it all. Long since developed the skill to tune it out.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:16 pm

I was sitting in the quiet zone at the Domestic YUL Lounge watching TV. Duder came and sat beside me and proceeded to take a call, on speaker phone. Things were pretty much done when I kept asking the person on the other end to repeat what they said.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
If it's not a quiet zone, and I can't find a secluded area, I'm taking my meeting where I happen to be. And I talk loud. Until someone puts up a sign saying I can't do that, I'll continue to do so.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by svirac
If it's not a quiet zone, and I can't find a secluded area, I'm taking my meeting where I happen to be. And I talk loud. Until someone puts up a sign saying I can't do that, I'll continue to do so.
There's a HUGE difference between taking a call in the cell-free zone (which I assume would be more aptly named the "quiet zone") and taking it elsewhere in the lounge.

I'm not saying you'll make friends taking a loud call elsewhere, but if I want quiet, I go to the cell-free zone.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:30 pm

GO Transit found that they are self-enforcing, not by transit constables but by other passengers. No reason why that can't work for MLLs.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:33 pm

What gets me is not the initial caller, but the inevitable 2nd, 3rd, etc. other callers who have to speak over said first caller to be heard in which case any semblance of peace and quiet anywhere (lounge or not) is shot. Sometimes I wish they would install booths (with doors) where people could go to conduct these conversations, but then I realize that then those people can't announce how important they are to everyone else in the area.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Sometimes I wish they would install booths (with doors) where people could go to conduct these conversations, but then I realize that then those people can't announce how important they are to everyone else in the area.
I've been suggesting that they bring back phone booths for years, but you're right - part of the point of this entitled antisocial behaviour is status signalling.

If you do want to get away from the self-important business types, try the business lounge at YYZ domestic. It's usually the quietest spot in the place.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Was in YVR MML last month when a cell phone user was in the 'quiet' zone. Older gentleman got up, placed the placard indicating no cell phones beside the phoner- who promptly moved and quiet was restored. n of 1 but classy solution IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by antirealist
I've been suggesting that they bring back phone booths for years, but you're right - part of the point of this entitled antisocial behaviour is status signalling.

If you do want to get away from the self-important business types, try the business lounge at YYZ domestic. It's usually the quietest spot in the place.
Actually, I am going to start doing what yyz-kin did... Start getting into the conversation... If it doesn't drive the person away, it'll at least bring some comic relief... Also, if it's a call with their boss, not sure how appreciative they will be about their business practices being loudly discussed in an airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.